Which converter for a young feather burner

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Which converter for a young feather burner

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 pm

So I brought a young Feather burner, now I need a step down voltage converter, but I need to know how many amps or watts it draws to buy the right converter.
Anyone got any idea ?
All it's got printed on it is 110-115 volts 50-60 cycles only.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Which converter for a young feather burner

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Try Jaycar, they are very helpful.

http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=st ... ransformer

I bought the $129.00 unit to run my 110 volt heat strips. The outlet socket handles the odd pin setup on the strip plug.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Nutgrass

#3 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks Daryl, I have been in contact with Jaycar here, but with out an amps or watts usage they can't say which unit I need to run it.
Will keep investigating.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

morganp

#4 Post by morganp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 pm

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.a ... faq&i=4171
click on the '1 answer' under the question and they say 100 watts

Google is your friend ... 100 watts (100VA step down transformer, probably fused at 1 amp). That is surprisingly light fro a heating element but I would surmise that 3 Rivers are much too careful to post a wrong answer about this.
There is also a guy confirms this rating on another forum.
DO NOT buy a cheap chinese transformer rated at 100w, it will probably only be safe at about 50 to 80 watts

BUT this $40 (inc. express 7 days postage) one below should do fine and gives you a price point to check against jaycar etc. where you will probably have to pay $100!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-Step-Do ... 4a912b0505

I would get this one myself for that job but although I have electrical/electronic background I can only suggest as I am not certified in Aus.

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:02 pm

G'day Gary,

I bought one similar to this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240v-110v-St ... 5aed19935b except it is white and cost $123 posted a couple of years ago. IMO a 2000W unit for $75 posted is worth the gamble. Mine has spent quite a few hours hooked up to bow making heat strips with no problems.

I bought some spare burner wires for a Young's burner and used them in a home made burner. From memory it took about 10 amps at 4 volts ( = 40 W) with a bench top DC power source to get them hot enough to do the job, not as hot as they show it on the 3 Rivers video though. I found that hot melted the fletch tape at both ends :roll:

Daryl, I don't know what temperature is inferred, but my Bingham's heat strips are stamped with 270 W for the 1.5" and 360 W for the 2" strips. I can't imagine they put out anywhere near that much though at 65 C.

Cheers.... Rod

PS. If you have a mulitmeter you could measure the output voltage of the burner and the resistance of the NiChrome heat strip and estimate the power required using Power = VoltsxVolts/Resistance ( P = V^2/R ). Just be bloody careful not to get yourself burned :surprised:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:10 am

rodlonq wrote:Daryl, I don't know what temperature is inferred, but my Bingham's heat strips are stamped with 270 W for the 1.5" and 360 W for the 2" strips. I can't imagine they put out anywhere near that much though at 65 C.
Rod, my 1 1/2" strips are marked 270w and the 1 3/4" strips are marked 320w. Do the rate them depending on surface area / resistance?

My transformer has a frequency range of 50 - 60 hertz and operation current is sine wave.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Daryl, I assume the power rating on them is the power draw at maximum temperature. According to the flyer at this website http://www.watlow.com/downloads/en/spec ... rh0311.pdf (from a different manufacturer) wire wound silicon pads can be used up to 260 C and may be made in power density up to 12.5 W/sq.in. For comparison, the Bingham's heat strips have only 0.6 W/sq.in.

Cheers.... Rod

alaninoz

#8 Post by alaninoz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 pm

rodlonq wrote:I bought some spare burner wires for a Young's burner and used them in a home made burner. From memory it took about 10 amps at 4 volts ( = 40 W) with a bench top DC power source to get them hot enough to do the job, not as hot as they show it on the 3 Rivers video though. I found that hot melted the fletch tape at both ends
Good memory Rod. I just looked up the thread we had on this a while ago:

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10774

and 4 volts at 10 amps was what we both found, though these days I'm using 5.5 volts - I haven't measured the current.
Alan

Nutgrass

#9 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks guys, yes 100 watts is more than enough. I now have spoken to plenty of people running them successfully with 64 watt converters.
Buying online is far cheaper, but if you can't wait & you just want to use it (this is me) $99 for a 125 watt unit from jaycar gets you going 8)

Very very happy with it, so much uniformity with the feathers, looks much neater than using a chopper.

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:39 pm

alaninoz wrote:
rodlonq wrote:I bought some spare burner wires for a Young's burner and used them in a home made burner. From memory it took about 10 amps at 4 volts ( = 40 W) with a bench top DC power source to get them hot enough to do the job, not as hot as they show it on the 3 Rivers video though. I found that hot melted the fletch tape at both ends
Good memory Rod. I just looked up the thread we had on this a while ago:

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10774

and 4 volts at 10 amps was what we both found, though these days I'm using 5.5 volts - I haven't measured the current.
Al, they must have a nice red glow at 5.5 V?

Cheers.... Rod

alaninoz

#11 Post by alaninoz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 pm

rodlonq wrote:Al, they must have a nice red glow at 5.5 V?

Cheers.... Rod
No, still quite dark. To get a glow on my set-up I need to go to about 8 volts (from memory, might only be 7). I get up into that region, and higher, every so often to clean the muck off the strip and so get a clean profile.
Alan

AndyF

#12 Post by AndyF » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:29 am

I've been using one of these stepdown transformers with my Young Feather Burner for years. Works fine.

Thought pics might help. Just in case the label is unreadable, it's a Dick Smith M1151 Stepdown Transformer Adaptor. Input: 230/240 V AC. Output: 115V AC 65 VA.

Hope that helps.

Andy
Attachments
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg (85.7 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 3370 times