Check out our new second hand pop top camper

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

The Hunt

Check out our new second hand pop top camper

#1 Post by The Hunt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi folks,
Camping is a big part of our relaxation and since getting into archery 12 months ago we have travelled and camped at a number of clubs and overnight stops. We have long been wishing to do a longer road trip as our annual holidays ie maybe Longreach ? Anyway we have been exploring different trailers and was looking at an enclosed style simple, but after talking to a few people we were pointed in the direction of a pop top . Whilst our vw transporter offers us a great 1 stop set up its not ideal for multi stop type trips. The chosen camper offers this but we do not compromise on it being a small setup. he last thing we wanted was something heavy to tow or big to store.

So part 2 of the story, we returned from Wisemans Ferry and in my habitual scan of gumtree and ebay I came across this cute little camper and it happened to fit our small budget. We had a holiday saving plan saving 2$ coins for just over a year, dropping our spare change into 600ml Mt Franklin or similar style bottle. We were told by a friend that one bottle held 980 ish bucks. We saved at a rate of 1 bottle every 6 months. So we cashed in and topped it up slightly and now we have a mobile cubby house.

Next steps, this camper is ready to rock but we will repackage the bearings for peace of mind, also thinking of some new curtains in side to brighten it up, who knows Little Arrows we might consider special tie dyed style! We are also having a rear annexe with walls fulling weather proof for more space on those longer stays ( we have a good friend in the annexe business doing us a deal)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Curvemeister

Re: Check out our new second hand pop top camper

#2 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Awesome stuff , it looks good , I like the little cubs.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:51 pm

so are you having a camper pop-top warming party at North Albert - champagne and cigars all round. :biggrin:

it looks like a neat unit. See youse soon.

cheers
sue

ps. shall I bring my tape measure... :lol:

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Looks a tidy little Camper, hope you enjoy

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:32 am

Looks a great buy Chris , know what you mean re a van, leaves you anchored once you set up and not able to check out surrounds.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 am

Your camper might just be the best possible camping solution for trad shoots. It would be very light to tow, and you could have it set up in a jiffy. All in all, it would be hard to beat, I think.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

The Hunt

#7 Post by The Hunt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Mick Smith wrote:Your camper might just be the best possible camping solution for trad shoots. It would be very light to tow, and you could have it set up in a jiffy. All in all, it would be hard to beat, I think.
Thanks a lot of thought and searching went into our selection and the mobile cubby house will see a few trad comps that's for sure :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Congrats on your new camper. I'm sure you will have many happy memories travelling around with it. :biggrin:

Jeff

Shrek

#9 Post by Shrek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Nice little unit Gals! I might go the same wayFunny started with a bed roll,then a swag,now a camp bed and canvas igloo,the old bones is callin for more comfort that little jigger looks the goods!

morganp

#10 Post by morganp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:30 am

Yup, I want one too, but if the trailer is based on a 6x4 (guess) the mattress would be a bit short for me. Is it longer than 6 foot? Currently I use a small tent on top of 'cheap shop' plastic ground mat tiles and tied down all round with an inflatable mattress inside. I often put it up on the trailer after I woke up with a brown snake cuddled up next to my sleeping bag many years ago. Turned out it was a plastic one inserted by 'mates' but it really wasn't very amusing as I slit the brand-new tent open with my knife and egressed through the wall and have emotional scars still. I have to keep the trailer flap down for this if I erect teh tent on the trailer but my feet usually stick out as I am 6'2" ... one of those camper things like yours would be a brilliant solution if it is more than 6'???????

perry

#11 Post by perry » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 am

Shrek, Raylene 8) might Buck a bit Towing more weight around Mate. Look what happened last time you asked her to Tow about a Dead Weight [ Portalot ] Will she have the right moves Baby !! :lol: :lol:

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

temudjin

#12 Post by temudjin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey Chris,

that looks a great unit. Perfect for those archery weekends but also capable enough for a longer trip.

The trip out west to Longreach and parts further west is a really great one with some really great things to see and experience. In Longreach itself the Stockman's Hall of Fame and the QANTAS Museum, then further west to the Dinoasuar Triangle around Winton and Hughenden, then southish to Carnarvon Gorge... all very spectacular.

Look forward to seeing you and the camper in "person" at North Albert in a few weeks :razz: .

The Hunt

#13 Post by The Hunt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Yes very much looking forward to Nth Albert it is just slightly closer than Wisemans Ferry. We are really keen for that Longreach trip and the things you mention are all on the list. Hoping to research free camping spots along the way to keep the costs down.
temudjin wrote:Hey Chris,

that looks a great unit. Perfect for those archery weekends but also capable enough for a longer trip.

The trip out west to Longreach and parts further west is a really great one with some really great things to see and experience. In Longreach itself the Stockman's Hall of Fame and the QANTAS Museum, then further west to the Dinoasuar Triangle around Winton and Hughenden, then southish to Carnarvon Gorge... all very spectacular.

Look forward to seeing you and the camper in "person" at North Albert in a few weeks :razz: .

The Hunt

#14 Post by The Hunt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 pm

morganp wrote:Yup, I want one too, but if the trailer is based on a 6x4 (guess) the mattress would be a bit short for me. Is it longer than 6 foot? Currently I use a small tent on top of 'cheap shop' plastic ground mat tiles and tied down all round with an inflatable mattress inside. I often put it up on the trailer after I woke up with a brown snake cuddled up next to my sleeping bag many years ago. Turned out it was a plastic one inserted by 'mates' but it really wasn't very amusing as I slit the brand-new tent open with my knife and egressed through the wall and have emotional scars still. I have to keep the trailer flap down for this if I erect teh tent on the trailer but my feet usually stick out as I am 6'2" ... one of those camper things like yours would be a brilliant solution if it is more than 6'???????

This trailer is 2m x 2m unfolded in travelling mode. when folded out the bed is the same width length 2m a standard double bed matress fits in the bed area
Last edited by The Hunt on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

little arrows

#15 Post by little arrows » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Perry :lol: :lol: - perhaps Shrekka should invest in a newer betterer veHicle...... and then he'll get a camper with a shower and a toilet and a heater, big girl. :biggrin:
Are you and he two still going north for Easter?

cheers
sue

perry

#16 Post by perry » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 am

Yes Sue, really looking forward to it, not so much the travelling in Raylene 8) they stay 90% of Landrover's are still on the Road ----------- right where they broke down :smile: but Cleve's great company. Lets hope Raylene can still "Shake a Tail Feather" North Albert would frustrate me no end as I'm still not healed enough to Shoot and even if I come good in the next 2 weeks I have not Shoot since before Christmas so it would not be pretty

To try to bring Chris's thread back on Topic - I've always been the odd one out, travel and try to Camp light more so as I age but it seems most People look for more comfort and convenience when Camping. Some of the Camper Trailers I see at shoots in my opinion are too clever by half and take to long to set up. I reckon this little Beastie with some clever accessories like an Awning would be a quick comfortable Camp

Chris I highly recommend you buy yourselves a copy of the Camps Australia Wide 7th edition. Great travellers reference book. The Book is about $55 from the RACQ $70 from a good Book Shop, has reasonable Road Maps, lists the free camp sights and whether or not they have water, Loo's, Showers, Mobile Phone coverage etc as well as other accommodation contact details, places of interest etc. Gary and I found it invaluable for our trip to the Vic Trad Shoots. In 3 weeks we paid for 2 nights accommodation [ Caravan Parks $10 & $15 ] Some of the free Camps we stayed at where hard to leave after a one night stay.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

The Hunt

#17 Post by The Hunt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks Perry I know the book you are referring to its a beaut! The camper came with 2 canvas annexes 2x2 m that can go on either side or the rear. This will be great for shorter or longer stays and if the weather is blah. The rear annexe we are having made will be vinyl and will have walls windows and door. It will have the option of having the walls up or not. It will also have a draft curtain. So ti is defiantly for longer stays providing room for some gear etc etc. What we liked about this camper it offered the option of quick set up with comforts as well as suit longer stays. Organised curtain material today and annexe will be fitted next Friday bring on Easter!

BTW the trip in Raylene will be a bit rough thats for sure :wink:

perry wrote:Yes Sue, really looking forward to it, not so much the travelling in Raylene 8) they stay 90% of Landrover's are still on the Road ----------- right where they broke down :smile: but Cleve's great company. Lets hope Raylene can still "Shake a Tail Feather" North Albert would frustrate me no end as I'm still not healed enough to Shoot and even if I come good in the next 2 weeks I have not Shoot since before Christmas so it would not be pretty

To try to bring Chris's thread back on Topic - I've always been the odd one out, travel and try to Camp light more so as I age but it seems most People look for more comfort and convenience when Camping. Some of the Camper Trailers I see at shoots in my opinion are too clever by half and take to long to set up. I reckon this little Beastie with some clever accessories like an Awning would be a quick comfortable Camp

Chris I highly recommend you buy yourselves a copy of the Camps Australia Wide 7th edition. Great travellers reference book. The Book is about $55 from the RACQ $70 from a good Book Shop, has reasonable Road Maps, lists the free camp sights and whether or not they have water, Loo's, Showers, Mobile Phone coverage etc as well as other accommodation contact details, places of interest etc. Gary and I found it invaluable for our trip to the Vic Trad Shoots. In 3 weeks we paid for 2 nights accommodation [ Caravan Parks $10 & $15 ] Some of the free Camps we stayed at where hard to leave after a one night stay.

regards Jacko