Lost Trades

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Lost Trades

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 am

Morning All.

"Lost Trade Fair". Sounds interesting as there are are a few people here who are pursuing trades that could be considered lost. This was in the latest "Australia Wood Review". http://www.woodreview.com.au/

The Lost Trades Fair highlighted demonstrations and displays from around 30 participants. Wood-related trades included chairmaking by Glen Rundell and Bern Chandley, George Smithwick’s coopering, musical instrument making (Peter Murphy, Andy Rigby) and toolmakers Colen Clenton and Terry Gordon.

Other trades covered included stonemasonry, letterpress and typography, leatherwork, arrow making, blacksmithing, rush and cane seat making, knifemaking, French polishing, hedgelaying and hurdle making, saddlery, spinning and other household crafts.

Have a read http://www.woodreview.com.au/news/lost-but-now-found
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

morganp

Re: Lost Trades

#2 Post by morganp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:04 am

Well found, I would very much have liked to have gone to that! Shame no-one saw it before the date. I wonder who the fletcher is that appeared there? I have asked the organisers for dates of other events and to be put in contact with the fletcher as I live in Vic and would like to explore further. A self-bow, longbow maker would be a good addition too I think.

Scrub Bull

#3 Post by Scrub Bull » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:37 pm

I hear on the grape vine the the arrow making guy was charging $30 for an plain arrow with a bit of cresting on it and he was selling heap to non archers. Sue its time you and Steve went for a drive to Vic, just think how much you could sell yours for. :biggrin:
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

wal

#4 Post by wal » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:32 pm

I think the dollar value has grown proportionally with the distance north the rumor has travelled :biggrin: :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Scrub Bull wrote:I hear on the grape vine the the arrow making guy was charging $30 for an plain arrow with a bit of cresting on it and he was selling heap to non archers.
Irrespective of the price one should expect self nocks, bound feathers and a hand planed / sanded shaft. Assembling store bought components is not a lost trade.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:00 pm

mmmmmmmm not a planed shaving to be found. Well I suppose they did say arrow making (read as assembly), no mention of Fletcher.
You've got a good point Mark, wonder if we could go via the town on the way to Mildura? :biggrin:

cheers
sue

morganp

#7 Post by morganp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:05 pm

http://res.cloudinary.com/yaffa-publish ... A302E6.jpg

- Arrowmaker/maybe fletcher is a guy called Andrew McGregor, this photo from the original post link shows fluoro plastic nocks, plain shafts, field tips, wraps and a couple of (goose?) feathers for effect! But we don't know what, when and why so good on him for being there and interesting people in fletching I reckon.

I think he is from Bendigo area and a good archer.

Kyneton is a dead town mainly full of unemployed bogans and dropkicks (including me) except on Sundays when the lower middle-class drive up for a day-out from Melbourne and stop for a latte and a toilet break ... the Lost Trades show is a good idea though, more power to it.

The big Kahuna

#8 Post by The big Kahuna » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Andrew (Henry) McGregor is from Bendigo and is a fine archer. He also makes his own arrows from scratch.
Hand plane,shavings and all. I don't know what he was making at Lost Trades but I've seen his handmade
arrows at shoots and they are good. Nice bloke.
cheers Mark