9th week off Work and counting -

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

9th week off Work and counting -

#1 Post by perry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 am

Morning Folks, been away and not really in the mood for a lot of tings lately but thought I'd touch base again.

None of you will be surprised to read I'm not real bright :mrgreen: but of late I have proof that you get smarter as you get older and there comes a day when you realise your not Young anymore :sad:

As many of you know in September Gary P and I went on a 6000 K road trip with 2 Hunts and the Mildura and Lillydale Trad Shoots at the Centre of it. Decided I was going to have a bit of a break from Shooting and recharge. On November 19 last Year I tore a group of Muscles in my upper and mid Back at work which has resulted in a longer than expected break from shooting.

I kept working, kept hardening up and felt better, took the Big Rifle to the Rifle Range and messed myself up. Kept working, digging holes in the backyard for the Mrs, helping a Mate move into a 3rd Story Unit and not being a big Sook until I could not take it any longer and finally went to the Doctor coming up to 9 weeks ago. At first he thought I had Fractured my Ribs when I damaged the Muscle. X rays discounted that but showed up another little issue !

Decades of Archery have distorted my Spine and it has a marked Curve towards my Right Shoulder, been wondering why that hurt for a few years as well :lol: I also have Arthritis in that section of my Spine, my Right Shoulder and in my Neck [ not related to Archery, old whiplash injury]. Kind of cool to think that if an Archaeologist examined my Bones in a few thousand Years I could be identified as an Archer

I have made 2 earlier attempts to get back to work and barely lasted 1 day. This week feeling good with my Doctor giving the all clear, went back and lasted 2 days so things are getting better :lol: Last night I went to the Physio and after the treatment She said to see how I wake up and if no good it might be smart to take another week off. Funny how a tiny little Lady can reduce a Man to tears just by laying Her hands on him hey :oops:

I cant String a Bow without causing discomfort, let along shoot one for a while yet but I will be out and about the Trad Shoots.

About to ring the Boss and give them the News, needless to say my name is Mud. I know there's been a few Folks about Ozbow that are having a few medical issue's of late far more serious than mine and I hope you are on the mend,

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

UPTHETOP

Re: 9th week off Work and counting -

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 am

Hey Jacko hope all comes good for you in the long run mate. Might just mean a little more leather work may get done around the place hey, at least that will stop you from going stir crazy. We all arnt getting any younger that's for shore. Good luck with it all again and keep us in touch with your progress.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

jcm

#3 Post by jcm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am

Take care Perry,
Slow and easy.
Regards

John

The Hunt

#4 Post by The Hunt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 am

Sorry to hear that Perry, Back injuries and muscle issues can be hard to manage and very painful The ongoing nature of them and the fact that they impact you every day including work can get you down. I have had ongoing issues with my back and joint inflammation for many years and its not fun. Keep your chin up, do the exercises that your therapists recommend and keep moving, walk, swim whatever it takes. I hope things improve for you soon. BTW no more digging ditches

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

Hope you get mended soon Perry.

All the best, Rod

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 am

Been wondering why you dropped off the radar. Allow yourself to mend properly Perry, otherwise you could end up a basket case!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#7 Post by perry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks Folks, would you believe that until early the week before last I did not have the range of movement necessary to do any Leatherwork - I was/am going Nuts !

A young Fella at Caboolture Bowmen had been on my case for a couple of Years to make him a Sheath, didn't want to pay me true price as I am over doing custom work as the $$ earned is not indicative of the time spent. I eventually weakened and agreed to make him a plain Vanilla Sheath for $40 :roll:

First up I made a wrap around Sheath - turned out to be a "DUMB" idea as when it was finished I was putting the Knife into it and the Handle snagged on the Sheaths lip, I wiggled it and pushed GENTLY, the Knife's upswept Blade curved up, sliced through the 1/2" wide Leather Welt and right through my Right Hands Little Finger. The back of the Blade ran across the Bone, the tip sliced out a piece of the Sheath around the Tendon, continued through and pierced the other side of my Finger, eventually cutting out the Palm side of the Finger.

The Surgeon was incredulous of how close I was to cutting the Tendon and in 2 minds about whether or not to operate and repair the Tendon's Sheath but eventually said to come back if there where any complications after consulting with my Doctor. Thankfully all's as expected and I should regain full movement when the Sheath around the Tendon is fully healed the Stitches came out yesterday
P9220247.JPG
P9220247.JPG (164.04 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
The offending Knife and a MUCH safer Sheath, lessons hard learned, make Blade Sheaths for upswept Blades

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

Gawd Perry you don't do things by half!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm

That's no good at all mate. We tend to think we're supermen until something goes wrong. Not being able to do what you love would be the pits. Hopefully things will start to go your way soon.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

perry

#10 Post by perry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Fellas, as for things going my way. Yesterday the Physio Taped my Ribs, She said to leave it on for 2 days - a couple of hours ago the Tape started to irritate my skin so I took it off along with about 3 square inches of Skin :lol: :lol: :lol: - what next :roll:

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Hey Perry
Heal well mate! It was good catching up!

But for Chri$ts sake mate take it easy :wink:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 pm

As already said take it easy Jacko :wink:

Roadie

#13 Post by Roadie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

This is not Good news Ole Son, do you need another Bottle of the Neds Port. Look after yourself ole friend. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#14 Post by perry » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 pm

G/Day Grant, don't worry about me Ole China, nearly smart enough now to stay down when I get hit. I'm right for Ned Kelly Mate, still Ageing the Flagon of Capogreco Supremo Port I filled my Barrel with :biggrin: How are you ? I hope your up and more mobile than last we spoke. Give my best to Heather please

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin