2014 Bowhunting Goals

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Guy Layton

2014 Bowhunting Goals

#1 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd ask the question on everybody's Bowhunting goals for 2014....

My major one is to put a fallow buck on the deck in next years rut.... 8)

And now renovations are finished..... A lot more hunting for 2014.... :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2014 Bowhunting Goals

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Just to get out for a hunt or two. :biggrin:

Jeff

Guy Layton

#3 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Jeff,

Yeah... That was me this year.... :sad:

Just have to make time.... Penciled in the first hunt for 2nd of Jan... :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Penciled in the first hunt for 2nd of Jan...
All the best for the hunt mate. I hope to get out later in the year.

Jeff

Guy Layton

#5 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Jeff,

Thanks mate.... Hunting out west... stalking in on dams in the stinking heat... :shock:

I'll let you know how I go... :biggrin:

Cheers Guy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Jeff,

Thanks mate.... Hunting out west... stalking in on dams in the stinking heat... :shock:

I'll let you know how I go... :biggrin:

Cheers Guy
It'll be hot alright mate but the game should be needing a drink or a wallow. :biggrin: Please do let us know how the trip goes.

Jeff

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm hoping to do quite a bit of hunting in new year, health permitting!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 pm

I haven't been out since last Jan! Just to get into the bush is goal enough this year!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 am

I'm thinking that I'd like to take a bunny or two with my osage selfbow over the coming months. It only has a draw weight of between 40 and 45lbs, so I will have to use broadheads, rather than blunts, which wouldn't be effective with such a light poundage, IMO. I've been managing to hit bunny sized targets at around 20 metres on a regular basis, so it should be feasible enough.

I will probably leave the bow unstrung most of the time, only stringing it when game is sighted, to avoid the bow taking on too much of a set. This alone should make it more difficult, as many shots that might present themselves are often unexpected.

Maybe a fox might even impose itself on the scene while I'm carrying the osage bow. That would be nice. I'll be sure to take the camera, just in case.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Goatchaser

#10 Post by Goatchaser » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 am

off in a couple of days chasing billies, bunnies and foxes, pigs mid year I reckon and fallow buck is on the cards for around April March. :wink:

Steve

#11 Post by Steve » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:19 pm

To take a decent goat and maybe a pig or two. The only things I've ever shot with a bow before is a hare and a fox both over ten years ago and with a wheelie bow. I'm looking forward to just getting out in the bush though. It's been way too long.
Honor et amore

Hoyt Buffalo 61# @ 29"

rodlonq

#12 Post by rodlonq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

I just missed the first of what may be many good hunts, buggered my knee 4 days before my first outing with a new "connection", a fella neared Dean. My brother in law Ted introduced me to Dean as a rifleman that has a property 2 hours from home that has a problem with feral chital deer. He was a compounder 15 years ago but gave it away and has been using bang sticks since. He got a bit excited when Ted told him I make traditional gear. We met up Christmas day and flung a few arras at targets. He just loved the concept...... Now my goal is to make a bow for him and young son in exchange for going along an hunts. The short term plan is to get him, son, Ted and two nephews into shooting bows by Easter (my two nephews are already kitted out and doing well).

This has been the best chance meeting I could have had, Dean is so keen I nearly had to trick him into handing back my favourite bow. If all goes well on the Eater hunt there will be many more to come and I will have inducted a whole crew of potential rifleman into bowhunting. Ted and Dean initially indicated we can take a small calibre rifle to teach the boys to shoot.... and I replied with.. why not take bows for all of them and they can all learn to shoot bows and the local game won't even know we are there.... That was well received and I was stoked, got a reason to make some more longbows and a chance at some feral chitals.......

My 2014 goal is to get bows into the hands of around 8 potential rifleman and if I play my cards right have regular hunting trips on chital country with a crew of keen bowhunters.

On the recent hunt I just missed, they managed to bag one small buck with the rifle, as it seems the deer are a bit flighty..... Could be a challenge to bag one of these deer with a longbow, but I am willing to try, all year and next year if needed.

That sums it up for me, I hope you have success with you own goals Guy..... All the best wit hit mate.

Cheers...... Rod

Oh yeah... I forgot hat I need to have another shot at giving away this blasted nicotine habit....

Chase N. Nocks

#13 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Just to get out for a hunt or two. :biggrin:

Jeff
+1 Jeff

For me it has been a long time between drinks but yes I would like to reacquaint myself with even just putting a bunny in the pot.

Hopefully Perry and I might get away for a few days if the calenders cooperate.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

CraigH

#14 Post by CraigH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Hi guys,

I just thought I'd ask the question on everybody's Bowhunting goals for 2014....

My major one is to put a fallow buck on the deck in next years rut.... 8)

And now renovations are finished..... A lot more hunting for 2014.... :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
To work on my accuracy with my bowhunting gear and like a few others, get out more in the bush.

Muz1970

#15 Post by Muz1970 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

G'day All, Have just discovered this awesome forum. Recently picked up the Longbow after a ten year absence from Bowhunting. Of which was mainly done with the compound, but towards the end I was only hunting with the Longbow. I have been doing a lot of practice and preparation for a 6 week trip in the NT where I hope to chase a few Boars, Buff and Donkeys.

Cheers Muz

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 pm

G'day Muzz and welcome to Ozbow. Sounds like you have some exciting times ahead. Six weeks in the NT would be fabulous!!! :biggrin:

Jeff

Jim

#17 Post by Jim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Rod, all the best with the chital mate. To say I'm jealous would be a wild understatement :) Hunting them with a long bow would be grand adventure for a dad and his sons !!

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby