Bought something new? Share it with everyone here ....

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Bought something new? Share it with everyone here ....

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:15 pm

My old archery butt is nearly worn out. It's at the state where arrows almost go completely though it at the centre. It's one of the ones that uses a hundred or so thin rubbery mats that are forced together, that uses friction between the mats to stop the arrow. It's about 18 inches square.

My new one is one of these ....
Attachments
Rinehart target.jpg
Rinehart target.jpg (3.25 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

scuzz

Re: Bought something new? Share it with everyone here ....

#2 Post by scuzz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Mick

I'm not trying to put a downer on your new purchase, but a friend of mine bought one of these and he gave it away. He was convinced that these were for 'compounders' as he was breaking arrows on the angled edges (obviously missing the frontal target face). I practice at 30 meters and im pretty sure i wouldnt hit that size face every shot, but maybe im just an amateur :lol:

But they are broadhead friendly right?? I know I've lost a few broadheads from those plastic filled bag, field point only type of targets.

I hope you get better results than my mate.

Scuzz

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 pm

That's not want I wanted to hear Scuzz. :cry: I thought these targets had an excellent reputation. I have used a lot of Rinehart 3D targets and they were great. I will be extremely disappointed if I start breaking arrows using it.

It will mainly get used at just 20 meters and less, so I might be able to keep all my arrows on the vertical face. This is the distance of my current backyard range. I now have neighbours, so I have to be very careful about safety.

I was planning to take the new target out to where I can shoot at extended ranges as well. That was one of the things that I liked about this target, its portability. It will be a real bummer if it's not suitable for my purposes.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

toby

#4 Post by toby » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Not bought but made a new backstop
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Lyonel

timbow

#5 Post by timbow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 am

I have seen you shoot Mick, you will break plenty of them arrows mate :lol:
Merry xmas

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 am

Should be good for taking out to a paddock some where for a shot. I assume you use Mr Sheen or similar spray on your arras to make them easier to pull out of the foam?

Jeff

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:08 pm

toby wrote:Not bought but made a new backstop
image.jpg
Does it work Lyonel? Have you shot an arrow into it yet? What did you make it out of?

I'm looking for an effective backstop to catch those inevitable missed shots.
timbow wrote:I have seen you shoot Mick, you will break plenty of them arrows mate :lol:
Merry xmas
Ha ha ha ... you're right of course mate. I will break plenty alright! Merry Christmas to you too mate.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Should be good for taking out to a paddock some where for a shot. I assume you use Mr Sheen or similar spray on your arras to make them easier to pull out of the foam?

Jeff
That's what I reckon Jeff. It should be just the shot to take out to a paddock somewhere, or a hunting camp, for a bit of practice. I'll see how hard it is to pull the arrows out first and if it's hard to do, I will take your advice. I was hoping it would be the same material that Rinehart use for their 3D targets, because if it is, it will be easy to pull them out.

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:21 pm

My cousin uses one of those for longbow practice and has had no problems, Mick. Seems to be a good, durable target. The Mr. Sheen Jeff mentioned seems to be the go.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

toby

#9 Post by toby » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Yes Mick it works well. It is made of a geo textile matting in the centre & shade cloth on the outsides to protect against uv. It is made to pack up & go in the boot of a car, you can't do that with a but. It's also free standing & easy to put up & down. I don't think it would stand up to a compound but it works well with a recurve & wood arrows.
Lyonel

rmcpb

#10 Post by rmcpb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:04 am

toby wrote:Not bought but made a new backstop
So Lyonel, you just made a sandwich of geotex with a shadecloth outer cover? How many layers did you use?

Thanx
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:01 pm

I've been looking around for some geo textile matting, but so far I haven't found a good supplier. I'm currently looking at the tired old carpet mat in the family room, thinking it's time for it to be replaced. :smile: Would it serve my purposes though, if I doubled it over the kid's old portable double swing frame that's in the backyard? At least it would be cheap.