Hunting & the other half

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sleepy

Hunting & the other half

#1 Post by Sleepy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:19 pm

In a pc (politically-correct) world, hunting seems to be an activity that's regarded by the general populace (as in Australia, the bulk of the population lives in the cities/suburbs) with a somewhat critical eye, and it seems amongst the fairer sex, even more so -> after all, how many women out there hunt? Yes, I know they do exist.... but you've got to admit, they're rare.

Would be interested to hear how people hereabouts have managed to convince their "other half" that hunting is a worthwhile thing.... I suspect many haven't, and it's something that's simply tolerated.

Even amongst hunters (at least amongst the more ethical ones), I wouldn't be surprised if many felt a bit conflicted about their hunting. It is, after all, the act of taking a life.

Would be interested to hear from some of the women hunters how they regard the act of hunting, and how they came to regard it that way.

In the country/rural area's, it may well be a different story - in such places, the rearing of animals for slaughter is a normal and common profession, and one of the few ways of making a living, so I suspect the taking of feral animals that damage crops or endanger livestock is likely better regarded by the fairer sex under such circumstances -> if your missus is fine with hunting, was she raised, or has she spent a fair amount of time out in the country?

Over the last few years, with the rise in popularity of "sustainability", many in the cities have realised how out of touch with nature and the realities of food production they are, and to cater to that, "cooking" TV shows have had segments focusing on this issue - whole series have been built solely around the idea of making "city-slickers" dispatch, butcher, cook and consume an animal themself. Hunting and fishing TV shows also seem to have really taken off, particulary on the community (e.g. C31) channels.

Has exposure to such footage changed the views of your other half? Perhaps it may have turned them off even more?

Just curious.

Cheers all.

Mick Smith

Re: Hunting & the other half

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

My wife was born and raised on a farm, so she has a very well rounded outlook when it comes to obtaining meat. She isn't interested in hunting though. It's not because she doesn't approve of it. She is simply not interested. She prefers to do typically girlie things like sewing, etc, instead.

My daughter is now 15. She has hunted with me for many years. Not only does she like to get out into the natural world, she actually loves stalking up close to game. She isn't too keen when it comes to cleaning animals though. It's dad's job for sure. :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:51 pm

My wife is much the same as Micks in this instance. She's not anti hunting, nor is she pro, she just doesn't care about it. Hates the bush, though, can't stand flies and heat. My daughter is at that age where she would oppose breathing simply because I'm in favour of it. :roll: :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm

When I first met the Bride she could milk a cow, skin a rabbit, and she used to skin the Fowls ( Ducks, Geese) as well. although she let someone else lop there heads of with an axe.
Now days she is not fazed about it, or me Hunting, keeps me out of her hair, and besides we have Supermarkets now days and life is so much simpler. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Nephew wrote:My daughter is at that age where she would oppose breathing simply because I'm in favour of it. :roll: :smile:
:surprised: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine went through a similar process few years back when she was little younger. Great now though. My missus don't mind fishing, and camping but doubt she would actively participate in a hunt. No moral objections, just too lazy [ doesn't read my posts]!!!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 pm

I've never liked the indoors, loved swimming, athletics, gymnastics, even used to walk or ride my pushbike in the rain when I was a kid, anything to get out of the house. So took to bangsticks and archery pretty well, and found I had a pretty good eye, so to speak, with not much "training". Didn't know what to expect when I first went after game and to be absolutely honest, I'd leave the bow in the shed, I actually just loved the stalk, to see how close I could actually get before being spotted.
Asked Steve one day, how he felt when he'd shot something (game meat for property owners or our tummies) and he couldn't give me an answer, 'cause he'd never really thought about it. Instead he said, have a go yourself and see how you feel. Ok, so off we went, with the bow, did the stalk, heart pounding, got really close, heart now really pounding, took the shot, game dropped straight away, the rest of the herd hardly moved. Heart stopped pounding straight away and I turned around to Steve who was just behind me for backup, at my request, in case it didn't go "according to plan", and I said to him - "is that it?". I just felt flat. Don't know what I was expecting............. anyhoo. I actually enjoy it more, when we'd both go out, I'd stalk behind him - actually I was that close to him one time, when he drew back and released he hit me in the nose as I was right behind, he didn't realise I was there, and I didn't realise he was about to shoot. Must admit though, another time we were out stump shooting as it was pretty quite, and I was quite chuffed when I hit a black rabbit with the longbow. Rabbit stew, yum.
So there my version, of being "the other half", 'cause I suppose he is "the better half" :biggrin:

cheers
sue

timbo

#7 Post by timbo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm

What an interesting post.

My wife and daughter are both vegetarian, the wife doesn't like the whole camping side of things although see has come out a couple of times. My daughter loves coming bush for a few days and enjoys stalking animals to take pictures.
My wife has never hunted, she doesn't like it but she tolerates me doing it. We have our own passions and that is what keeps us happy. She knows that I enjoy it, the same as I know that she enjoys sewing, making costumes and spending hours in a spotlight store. She can appreciate that I take my hunting seriously and my shots ethically, I bring home what I can and share it with the extended family. For me it is about having some time out to clear my head and get some fresh air and some exercise and to some times harvest something for the freezer.

Cheers Tim
Get Up, Get Out, and Get into em!

emu

#8 Post by emu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:25 am

My missus doesn't mind me going hunting in fact she loves less husband and kids around as my boys love going bush for a look around whether we shoot anything or not doesn't matter its the fact their out walking around learning that i like.When we first met i said i hunt fish and shoot and i wont b changing so its something u need to get used to :biggrin: and she's still here,now its a family thing to go spotlighting a few bunnies the whole lot pile in and off we go.The older boys will grab one of my bows and go for a look around when they get the chance they both enjoy it and the younger ones will tag along hoping to see something.I believe the skills learnt out bush and the respect for the hunted animal is something a lot more could do with learning about then maybe more would see we are not a bunch of blood thirsty killing machines a lot of people try to make out we are :roll: and that our respect for hunted animals and our surroundings is usually a lot higher than some city bound greenie type who have a case NFI.I know with the few basic skills my boys know if things go pear shaped they could survive and feed themselves if they had to and if the zombies ever show up that might just help :biggrin:.The kids talk about it at school and the others either go ooooh yuk but a lot of them go cool wish we could do that so maybe hunting is becoming more accecpatable.
cheers emu.
Bugger work lets go Hunting

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:15 am

When my other half and I started seeing each other I lived on a farm and hunted, when she used to come out to visit and I when out she would stay back out the house. Then one day she asked me to teach she how to shoot bows and rifles, so I did, then she cam out with me.
She has taken game, there is no problem with it but now days she would much rather shoot at the club.
My daughter loves to come out and do stuff with dad, 4wd, fish, shoot rifles and bows and hunt she too dose not like the cleaning part. She is nearly 15 years old and has known from a very little girl where meat comes from.
About 16 years ago I was out of work for about 6 months, nothing around, and hunting is how I put meat on the table, thank god as I would crazy just eating vegies :lol:
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:48 am

My father gave me my first rifle when I was twelve and we both hunted together on the family farms up near Watson's Creek.
My wife was first generation city [prior generations were country folk]. She had a love of the country, camping and fishing [she asked for fishing gear for her wedding present and we went on a fishing honeymoon]. We moved from Mosman to Katoomba to be closer to the bush away from the city as a better environment for our kids. She is a pretty good shot with both bow and arrow but is more into growing things. We have a permaculture designed block and she grows a lot of what we eat including ducks, chickens and rabbits. She encourages me to hunt and we love eating rabbit, hares and pork. My wife also sees the big picture wrt pest control and is vey happy about that [both of us are qualified pest controllers] My son and one daughter like hunting and camping, they are both good shots. They have 15 years variation in age one being my oldest and the other the youngest so I have been out regularly with one of them and sometimes with my dad till he passed away. My wife and I have encouraged our kids to pursue their own interests so having two of my four kids as well as my wife supporting/sharing my interests has been great.

My wife suffers the double whammy because of my pursuit of competitive target and field archery. She recognises and readily accepts that both help to keep body, mind and spirit happy and healthy. Besides needing to share many things I believe you need space in a partnership to be your own self as well.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

sina55

#11 Post by sina55 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:45 am

Ever since I was a little girl (and thats a long time ago) I've been camping, my parents were outdoor type people. So when I met Gary we naturally continued with the camping. After we took up archery Gary was introduced to the hunting side of things first. When he came home from his first hunting trip he was so excited that he said that he would like to take me and our 2 little boys out hunting. So our first trip we packed up the car and drove for the 8 hours as you do here in WA. When Gary went off to hunt the 3 of us would follow behind him watching and waiting when he spotted game and stalked in closer for the shot. From there it progressed to the boys and I taking out our bows and stalking in on game until the first time I was actually close enough to take the shot. What did I feel? Well much the same as Sue. The adrenalin rush then nothing. I always say sorry to the game that I have shot. I have no problem with the skinning and gutting side of things although I do like to have Gary there to help me.
I love the stalking and walking in the bush and would go hunting almost any time although now I dont seem to be able to handle the heat as well as I used to, so must admit that we only go in the cooler months now.
When my daughter in-law (who is a Chef) accompanied our youngest son on a hunting trip and saw her first game being killed she didnt like it. Until Ian had skinned the animal and she saw the carcass hanging in the tree, then she said now I can see what it is and where it came from "Its food"! From then on she had no problem with the whole process.

Cheers Jo

Sleepy

#12 Post by Sleepy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Dear all,
thanks for the responses.

Especial thanks to Sue & Jo; it's good to hear about a women's perspective on this topic straight from the source.

It's been interesting, and sometimes surprising reading; a surprising number of daughters out there participating, and who'd have thought of a vegetarian daughter that loves to stalk?... in hindsight though, it does makes sense.

There's so much variety in the different responses I don't have the time tonight to address them all. Will try to squeeze some posts in over the next few days, but it being the Christmas silly season, realistically I can't promise too much!

To the ladies out there who hunt or have husbands who do so, I can't help but wonder if your friends have ever asked you about it? I dare say they'd be curious to hear about what it's actually like, and it may help lay to rest a few misconceptions they may have.

Anyway, I'd better go, so once again, thanks to all for the responses.

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

Tuffcity

#13 Post by Tuffcity » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:25 pm

My wife hunts. If you have seen any of my photo's in the "photography" section you'll know she goes the distance and, like me, her happy place is far from roads and people. As our children are getting to the point of making their own way in life many of our "vacations" are now excursions deep in to the wilderness for weeks at a time.

She's my favourite hunting partner! :)

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...