Being Inclusive

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Being Inclusive

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote..
... A member of .. turned up to a shoot with his brand new pride and joy... .. By my reasoning, there must be others similarly affected that are never detected by the mainstream trad community.
I took my camera with me this morning as I wanted to grab a few shots and you may appreciate this photo.
sat_morning.jpg
sat_morning.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
So this is one end of the indoor line. We were shooting indoor and note the the bows that were being shot - and this is an AA club. Derek with his Yumi with alloy arrows and feathers, Ash using a club longbow with wood arrows and feathers and Declan shooting a compound with carbon arrows and vanes. I was using a vintage Black Widow barebow with alloy arrows and feathers.. My experience is that there are nil issues if people do not want to have issues. The 4 of us can compete against each irrespective of what the accepted norm is and when 3 out 4 turn up at the NAFA shoot at Easter every one will more than likely be shooting longbows with wood arrows and feathers.

I live in "The Land of Rules" - AA probably has more divisions and rules (and rules that don't grab me) than you can poke a stick at yet the reality is we do not let them stop us from enjoying the archery or each others company.

And tomorrow I will enjoy shooting arrows with something else .... probably a longbow.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Len

Re: Being Inclusive

#2 Post by Len » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Great pic Grahame, that to me is how archery should be, we are all bowmen regardless of gear used.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Same here, I couldn't care less what folk shoot as long as they're enjoying it. My philosophy is "Do you like watching arrows fly? Me too! Lets have some fun flingin' 'em!" :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Goatchaser

#4 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey all, goin huntin with a few compound lads soon, as I say to them it's good to have one of everything in your arsenal, helps to keep the interest in archery in general I think. :wink: As I have a few firearms also I am also leaning toward a crossbow, just for a change up here and there.

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

I shoot regularly at Penrith City Archers [AA] at a midweek shoot for old farts. In fact it is designed for retirees. I was made redundant and have a limited casual income but was made welcome. I find practising tournament shooting is very helpful and they are an interesting bunch of blokes. They all shoot sighted compounds at this shoot but a few shoot recurve on the weekend. For some it is the only competition they do and it is easier for them to maintain form easily and score well. We shoot on a small face 6 and up at 30 metres. A younger blokes have started and I guess my longbow raised a few eyes. No divisions. Very few rules. Handicapped. They then do match play. Great fun.

When I shoot there on a Sunday there lots of different rigs and the whole line of 30 odd targets is full. Lot of interest and respect both ways. Lots of fun.

When I shoot at Mountain Archers another AA club probably only a couple of compound bows set up for target, most archers are hunters and/or bare bowers. Same amount of respect both ways. Lots of fun.

Same thing when I go to HVTA and Wisemans.

The only time I see evidence on non inclusive behaviour tends to be on discussion forums which for mine allow people to take a few digs a bit too far. Essentially I believe most archers are very friendly and helpful people who play nicely in the sand pit and share things.

Most people who are archers are individualists but realise they need to pool resources to pursue their sport. Very few are politically minded. Very few invade another's space.

I would be greatly disappointed to find out anything to the contrary.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Grahame.

I'm not a fan of rules either, believe it or not. I have to put up with multitudes of them each work day and it's nice on the weekends to be almost completely free of them.

I was a member of an AA club about 8 years back and we were much the same as the people in your photo. We all got along well despite shooting different types of bows. I'm pretty sure that nobody felt superior or inferior to anyone else.

I am seriously considering joining up with our local ABA club in Geelong. I already know a few of the blokes there and the fact that many of them use only compounds doesn't deter me in the slightest. I know there's a few trad enthusiasts there as well. They have great grounds which are located just down the road from my place. Who knows, they might even be interested in the possibility of holding a trad shoot at some time down the track. I won't be pushing too hard for it though, as I realise that I can be a little too political at times. Would you believe it? :biggrin:

Live and let live, is a good motto to have, I reckon. Thanks for sharing your perspective with us.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm a member of an ABA club that has a brosd cross section of archers, from Trad to wizzbang scope n all compounds and all of us peacefully co- exist without any discernible friction.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

toby

#8 Post by toby » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Great photo Graeme
Lyonel

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:51 pm

yep same here i'll shoot with anyone with any type of bow and have a ball,just not at trad shoots. :surprised: :lol:

the celt

#10 Post by the celt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 am

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: that's allright gents Ihave taken to shooting with the pistol shooters up here in beautiful tin can bay at night too lots of fun too

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 pm

I shoot at the trophy bowhunting club SA, (3daaa)

it's great shooting with the compound guys, most of them also or used to shoot recurve or longbow, and there is a lot of fun had in stirring each other up!!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson