You go, Girls!

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

You go, Girls!

#1 Post by Nephew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:32 am

Found this article while reading the "paper" this morning, an encouraging sign I think! http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/a-quiver-full ... 2x72k.html I hope enough join and get good enough that they beat the boys as decisively as they do in the class rooms! :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Len

Re: You go, Girls!

#2 Post by Len » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Great to see more and more girls getting into archery but can't agree with your comment about the classroom! Girls often get more attention from teachers these days and there are at least five times as many girl only schools as there is boys and yet after all that boys often still outdo girls So IMO it comes down to teachers and parents attitude more then gender.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:05 pm

I was havin' a dig for fun, Len. I'm just a shite stirring ol' leftie, mate! :wink:
We are on the same page as far as academic achievement goes :smile:
(I have a daughter but no son)

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm

our club has grown from 5 ish regular serious shooters 6-7 years ago to twenty something three years ago to well over 50 in the last year......the great majority are one day a week plinkers who seem to pick bare bow and gravitate to shooting a favourite distance. Bare-bowers go around 30 metres and sighted compound hunters hang around the 50m butt. They all seem to be enjoying their Sunday morning meditation.
If all our members turned up at the same time we could not fit them on target butts.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Len

#5 Post by Len » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey Nephew all good. I have two sons at school(both doing well) and it just gets up my goat a bit when boys get put down at school .Most teachers are great but at our primary school there are a couple of femmo's who only push the girls.
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Craig
Nephew wrote:Found this article while reading the "paper" this morning, an encouraging sign I think! http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/a-quiver-full ... 2x72k.html
Since July last year, membership to archery clubs across Australia has jumped 60 per cent to about 9000. But the sport's resurgence has not been confined to teens, Archery Australia chief executive James Larven says. ''We are averaging about 450 new members each month,'' he says. ''Most clubs just can't cope with the demand. The image of archery is changing. It's become cool.''
Yep, it is all go. Tomorrow another "Come and Try" - so that takes care of my Sunday.
longbowinfected wrote:our club has grown from 5 ish regular serious shooters 6-7 years ago to twenty something three years ago to well over 50 in the last year... ... If all our members turned up at the same time we could not fit them on target butts.
Yep. Now the question that clubs may decide to ask is that sort of level of growth they are experiencing and if not why not.

I do not expect the level of growth to be maintained.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:32 pm

I think it will eventually wane, then revive once the next instalment of the "Hunger Games" series comes out. :wink:

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 am

Hi Craig
Nephew wrote:I think it will eventually wane, then revive once the next instalment of the "Hunger Games" series comes out. :wink:
In a couple of weeks!!
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jcm

#9 Post by jcm » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 am

More to come- Hobbit sequel etc.
Regards

John

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Craig
Nephew wrote:I think it will eventually wane, then revive once the next instalment of the "Hunger Games" series comes out. :wink:
In a couple of weeks!!
That is sad to hear!

If I had young kids I would never allow them to watch such a movie. I just can't understand the entertainment of seeing kids killing kids which is what the movie is about from my understanding. :x

Jeff

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah, I tend to agree with you about the premise of the movie, Jeff, but once they get into archery they may become interested beyond emulating fictional characters?

Roadie

#12 Post by Roadie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:33 pm

To me it's Crap, sending out all the wrong vibes.. As Jeff said Kids killing Kids. Yuck, see enough stories of Students with Guns, won't be long before some uses a Bow or crossbow to get there Kicks. Cheers Roadie.

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Well...I think to attribute a movie with the ability to incite homicide is drawing a bit of a long bow, it's fiction after all. I don't think movies nor video games can incite murder, the person influenced in such a way would have to be a disturbed individual to start with. Not my kind of movie, for sure, and I wont be seeing it, but I can't see fiction inducing normal kids to start killing each other. I watched "Turkey Shoot" as an adolescent and I never had the urge to chase Linda Stoner or anyone else with a rifle. Saw "Rocky" many times but never imagined I had a shot at the heavyweight title, nor did I think I was a tough guy after watching "Chopper", either.
How many times have you seen a fictional murder portrayed on tele (Midsomer Murders, anyone? Agatha Christie, perhaps? If your theory is correct those shows have a lot to answer for! :wink: :smile: ) and thought "Hmmm, yes...a bit of killing would be just the ticket right now!" Never, I should imagine!
I think it would take a mind as weak as Homer Simpsons to allow a movie to affect you like that, and the thing about Homer and his weak mind is...he's fictional, there are no people like him.

If it gets more kids interested in archery it's redeemed itself in my books.
Last edited by Nephew on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:09 pm

DOH

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Yyou leave Homer out of this Booof

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:13 pm

:lol: :lol: You goose! :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Nephew wrote:If it gets more kids interested in archery it's redeemed itself in my books.
Never in mine.

Jeff

AndyF

#18 Post by AndyF » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 am

Since all that Lord of The Rings stuff and Hunger Games kicked off, the 'come and try' and beginners section at Sydney Bowmen has gone beserk. There's probably around 50 or so of them every Sunday am, and has been for about 18 months now (we regularly run out of bows for them) - and there is definitely a very high percentage of girls showing an interest. It's also good to see many of them show a real interest in the longbow/horsebow end of things.

Much to my surprise, even my relatively new girlfriend has jumped straight into it. Only the third time she'd picked up a bow, she shot the whole lot at Wisemans the other weekend - and loved the Challenge Course.

That said, the highlight was seeing Nick L's face when she asked him if he could make her a 'pink flatbow'. Looks like she'll have to settle for a white glass Priestess with something like Purpleheart through the riser.

A

jcm

#19 Post by jcm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:40 am

And some Pink arrows to match the bow?
John

AndyF

#20 Post by AndyF » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:46 am

jcm wrote:And some Pink arrows to match the bow?
John
I can manage that easily. In fact she wants to make them herself.

Nephew

#21 Post by Nephew » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Wish you'd had your phone out to get a pic of Mr. Linterns expression! :smile:

Chase N. Nocks

#22 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

AndyF wrote:Since all that Lord of The Rings stuff and Hunger Games kicked off, the 'come and try' and beginners section at Sydney Bowmen has gone beserk. There's probably around 50 or so of them every Sunday am, and has been for about 18 months now (we regularly run out of bows for them) - and there is definitely a very high percentage of girls showing an interest. It's also good to see many of them show a real interest in the longbow/horsebow end of things.

Much to my surprise, even my relatively new girlfriend has jumped straight into it. Only the third time she'd picked up a bow, she shot the whole lot at Wisemans the other weekend - and loved the Challenge Course.

That said, the highlight was seeing Nick L's face when she asked him if he could make her a 'pink flatbow'. Looks like she'll have to settle for a white glass Priestess with something like Purpleheart through the riser.

A
It is a well know fact that Nick keeps the best pink laminations for himself :razz: but no one has ever argued with that. :biggrin:

That aside I think pink lams and camo wood risers are actually available.. I have seen a custom bowyer on the net somewhere that makes them for girls.

still the white lam and purple heart combination will look way classier!

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"