2013 Masters Games in Geelong

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

asparky

2013 Masters Games in Geelong

#1 Post by asparky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Met Roadie at the 14th Masters Games for the first time. We shot the 2 day IFAA round together withe Joe Vardon ,Jeff Nicole from South Aus and Barry Creelman W.A and myself we had a great time
http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... post374662
sorry but is only way l know how to get photos on here

have added some more photos .. Joe Vardons end of 52 @60m on his selfbow is great to see
Last edited by asparky on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roadie

Re: 2013 Masters Games in Geelong

#2 Post by Roadie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm

IFFA, not my style of shooting, 80 mtrs give us a Break. Was great to catch up with some Old Mates and also put Faces to names, It was certainly Great to meet you Guenter and to shoot with you, see you during the week, having a 2 Day break Trying to get my Knee & ankle to settle down. Today was Hard going. Cheers Roadie.

Goatchaser

#3 Post by Goatchaser » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

looked like fun, thanks for sharing. :wink:

asparky

#4 Post by asparky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Targets is tomorrow Clout Wed fita field thursday will try and post as many longbow shots as possible

http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... post374662

Roadie

#6 Post by Roadie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Had 2 Days off, shoot for the next 3 Days, ankle and knee still Swollen and giving me Grief. Cheers Roadie

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 am

Take it easy mate :wink:

Fanto

#8 Post by Fanto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:59 pm

hey guys,

which one is Joe vardon?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

The taller bearded gentleman with usually SA yellow or Adelaide Archery club yellow and green on.
In this case the gent shooting ELB with wooden arrows. Really great guy. Put alloys and a modern longbow in his hands and at every distance very rarely out of the red.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Clout Today, at least 50klm winds during the shoot, around stages 3 & 4 the Wind died down and managed to land in the circle. Then the Wind came back and there was talk of abandon the Last Legs, But no we shot. A Great time had by All. FITA field round for the next 2 days, this is new to me, apparently we shoot at Targets called Bugs Eyes, sound likes fun to me
Have Ankle and Knee strapped up, and Walking stick so lets see how it goes . Cheers Roadie.

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 pm

looks better than working!

So that's the famous joe vardon. he
makes a nice hill style longbow, I used to live 200m from adelaide archery. they looked at the Howatt mamba I had with me and I think they decided on the spot I wasn't membership material. they shoot Olympic Rigs or joe vardon longbows

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 am

Some pretty good sticks in amongst the Adelaide mob. Nice people too.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:16 am

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:Clout Today, at least 50klm winds during the shoot, around stages 3 & 4 the Wind died down and managed to land in the circle. Then the Wind came back and there was talk of abandon the Last Legs, But no we shot. A Great time had by All. FITA field round for the next 2 days, this is new to me, apparently we shoot at Targets called Bugs Eyes, sound likes fun to me
Have Ankle and Knee strapped up, and Walking stick so lets see how it goes . Cheers Roadie.
Bugs Eyes - Small Targets up close. Three on a Vertical Strip - one arrow per Target. FITA will probably be marked - you will know the distance to the Target. Unmarked Field - distance not known - is avoided by the majority of FITA.

Have Fun.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

asparky

#14 Post by asparky » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Roadie with all his Bling at the 14th Masters Games..

http://s16.postimg.org/v60xjh3p1/137428 ... 2832_n.jpg

Hope you took the eyes out of those bugs Roadie

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-11/t ... ng/5017974

Roadie

#15 Post by Roadie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Home, What a Blast, tho must admit not for me, don't get me wrong, it was great to see All the Equip that they use, BUT people using arrows that look like knitting needles and sowing needles with Flights about as thick as a cotton buds, my Woods didn't have a chance. IFFA & FITA all French to me, But there is a lot of people that enjoy that style of shooting, It certainly showed me a different aspect of Archery. Met and shot with a great Bunch of people. But I will stick to what I enjoy Best, ANIMALS for Me.
As I said at the start, What A Blast, Would I do it again, YES. For those interested I finished up with 1 Gold, 1 Silver & 1 Bronze. Partying, Drinking, Dancing Girls, surrounded by Like minded Folk, what more can an ARCHER as for. Cheers Roadie.

asparky

#16 Post by asparky » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:36 pm

And was great seeing you roadie im sure we will end up shooting some form of shoot ...and trying a bit more of that malt you have... ooh and mango punch sounds very refreshing..

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 am

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:... it was great to see All the Equip that they use, BUT people using arrows that look like knitting needles and sowing needles with Flights about as thick as a cotton buds, my Woods didn't have a chance. ... ... It certainly showed me a different aspect of Archery. ... ... What A Blast, Would I do it again, YES. ...
Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. IMHO It is good to see people using different stuff and even appreciating the gear they are using and the game hey are playing. On the downside it is not good to swap between different stuff on a regular basis it ......... plays merry hell with technique. The larger the range of gear that people see in action hopefully the better people become at appreciating the 'pros and cons' of the various bows/arrows/events.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.