Aussie unknown but have the same blade

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Aussie unknown but have the same blade

#1 Post by Bill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am

:smile: Hello, I've found these two heads and it's said that their Aussie made. 8)

:confused: But I can't find any information on them.

:?: So was wondering if anyone else knows anything about them.

:wink: They are a very nice and simple head and it would be great to be able to put a name and age to them.

:smile: Thanks for your assistance.
Attachments
Said to be Aussie made but unknown with the same blade shape.jpg
Said to be Aussie made but unknown with the same blade shape.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

Sleepy

Re: Aussie unknown but have the same blade

#2 Post by Sleepy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Look to me a lot like the Outback broadheads as made by Woody in Ballarat (http://outbackbroadheads.com.au/).

As the current models have the blade end curving back in towards the shaft, perhaps these were prototypes or an earlier generation of the Outback's as Woody evolved their design?

Will drop Woody a PM for comment.... stay tuned.

Jim

#3 Post by Jim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Bill, I hope you find someone that knows something about these. Like Sleepy, these look to me like the 'Outback' style, but lately I've been reading a bunch of trad mags from the early 90's and have been surprised to learn, what I'm sure you already knew, that this style was actually quite popular and common some time ago. In fact in the Fall 91 Traditional Bowhunter Magazine, there was a 'how to' on building just such a broadhead out of saw blades and field points, looks just like the ones you've got here, minus the rounded tip. Anyway, I hope someone recognises them and can help you out. It's great to see someone putting in the effort to catalogue Aussie archery history.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

woody

#4 Post by woody » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:01 am

I cant help you with origin of these two examples except to say they are not ones of mine.

The very early Outback Supremes were attached to the alloy ferrule by crimping down the nose of the alloy ferrule into a hole in the blade, similar to the Bear razorheads that had the blue and green alloy ferrules.

Not many were made like this as I quickly realized the blades were weakened by the hole, and then redesigned them to my current system where the blades are crimped to the ferrules, by squashing the side slots down into a recess in the blade.

The blades almost look like the very early ones I did, with the hole up front, but I have never built any like the ones pictured.

Unless some one has gotten hold of a few very early Outback blades and attached their own field points........? :confused:
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Bill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:49 pm

:smile: Thanks for the assistance gentlemen, Sleepy, Jim and thanks Woody for your explanation.
If the first head resembles one of your early prototypes, it doesn't in my eyes, for I have a couple of them and they're made with an aluminium broadhead adaptor and these are silver soldered blade to ferrule. This also leads me to believe that their home made. But not to worry, I've still got few more that I need to study and identifying. But all in all they're are a very fine head for being home made.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Sleepy

#6 Post by Sleepy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Interesting - I wonder if those heads were actually made as a result of someone reading that article way back in '91 (if so, I'm guessing whoever wrote the article would probably be pretty stoked to hear it had had such an effect); Jim do you think you could put up a photo of the finished product (assuming the article has diagrams/photo's of such)? Not a fan of the fact they're a "barbed" head though.

Bill - do you think you could bung up a photo of your early Outback prototypes (I think I understand what Woody was describing about them, but a picture would clarify it all).

Woody, was having a read (on your website) of how you started out making your broadheads way back in '98 - how was it you decided on that particular design and construction to begin with? Ease of construction with the resources/facilities you had available to you? Or was it a case of you were impressed with a particular existing design (e.g. the Bear Razorheads you mentioned), and were trying to improve on the flaws you saw in them? Or was it something else perhaps?

Would be interesting to hear how and why it all came about.

Cheers guys!
Last edited by Sleepy on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

#7 Post by Jim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Sleepy it's in a pdf and I'm not sure how to get an image out of that (or if I can), but if you go to www.tradbow.com you can download their sold out issues for free, you just need to make an account with them (which is also free). It's worthwhile as there are almost 30 issues free to download.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Sleepy

#8 Post by Sleepy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Cheers Jim!

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Bill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 pm

:smile: Hello Sleepy, tomorrow if all's ok, I post some pictures of the heads you asked about.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 pm

:smile:As requested the picture of an early Woodward as compared to a Bear head as Woody mentioned.

The blade of this head was made by Woody and as per his instructions back in 2011, I built the completed broadhead. I believe that the crimping at the end of the ferrule may be different, but the principle is all the same.
Attachments
Early Woodward 1.jpg
Early Woodward 1.jpg (191.24 KiB) Viewed 2046 times