Anyone for Sweet Potato's ?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Anyone for Sweet Potato's ?

#1 Post by perry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 am

My Wife and I Dug our Sweet Potato Patch on Sunday - a Barrow load, nearly 40 Kilo's. The large round Sweet Potato weighed just over 4 Kilo's, the large Sweet Potato to the right partly buried by the smaller ones weighs aroung 5Kg.
P1310065.JPG
P1310065.JPG (195.23 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
For the Home Gardener Sweet Potato's have got to be the best Yield for the Least Work Food Crop out there

So there's Sweet Potato Soup, Sweet Potato Pie, Roast Sweet Potato, Grated Sweet Potato in the Spaghetti Bolognaise, Mashed Sweet Potato, Stir Fried Diced Sweet Potato - any more idea's Folks

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

jindydiver

Re: Anyone for Sweet Potato's ?

#2 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 am

awesome crop. you are going to be hard at them for a bit :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

Creamy Sweet potato bake.
How are they started Perry? Seed or like potatoes? Good haul. Steve

rmcpb

#4 Post by rmcpb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 am

On a shepherds pie.

Thinkly sliced on a BBQ till crisp.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

nimrod

#5 Post by nimrod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 am

my grandsons love them chipped and deep fried or roasted mashed with fresh onions diced through them soup wise with carrots leeks lentils ham hough and split peas ( tasty but makes you fart a bit though ) if you can get the oil hot enough then crisps with a little garlic salt

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 am

Good crop Perry,i like eating them raw :biggrin:

hardgainer

#7 Post by hardgainer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 am

Holy smoke Perry what a harvest....The mighty Kumara.
Are sure you have not been slipping them a few peptides :biggrin: :biggrin:
Tony S.

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

great crop Perry. Just about our whole backyard has a sweet potato vine covering it as ground cover to prevent or inhibit grass but because it is rocky with not much soil depth they either push up through and become exposed to sun damage or we get very little. Still good ground cover .
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

otis.drum

#9 Post by otis.drum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Nice! you'll be sick of them in no time :biggrin: They certainly are easy to grow. We get a constant supply from ours.

Steve, just buy a few of the smallest good condition whole sweet potatoes you can find (small ones so you get more for your $$) and put them in the ground whole (you can cut them in half if you want). that's it. they will go crazy. i like to wash mine or soak in water overnight as some companies spray their produce with anti growth chemicals. i put them in with about 1.5" of soil over them and just water. it will sprout in no time and send out greepers. little shoots will come off them into the ground and these will become the new sweet potatoes. they are ready for harvest when the sweet potato breaks the surface. if you dig them up too early they will just be long and thin, and look like a bean.

ginger is just as easy to grow. just select some with some buds starting and place them in the ground with the buds facing up and about 1" of soil over them. they are a bit slower to grow and require moist soil.
...otis...

perry

#10 Post by perry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Evening Folks, thanks for the reply's and Recipes, We have been harvesting this Patch for 3 or 4 Years now and every time we Harvest a Barrow Load. My Youngest can't stand them any longer but my Eldest, my Wife and I love em.

I will be taking a goodly supply with me on the 3 week Trad Shoot / Hunt / Road Trip Gary and I are going on, betcha Gary's sick of em before me.

I wonder if you can Brew em up for Sweet Potato Vodka :lol:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:47 am

otis.drum wrote:Nice! you'll be sick of them in no time :biggrin: They certainly are easy to grow. We get a constant supply from ours.

Steve, just buy a few of the smallest good condition whole sweet potatoes you can find (small ones so you get more for your $$) and put them in the ground whole (you can cut them in half if you want). that's it. they will go crazy. i like to wash mine or soak in water overnight as some companies spray their produce with anti growth chemicals. i put them in with about 1.5" of soil over them and just water. it will sprout in no time and send out greepers. little shoots will come off them into the ground and these will become the new sweet potatoes. they are ready for harvest when the sweet potato breaks the surface. if you dig them up too early they will just be long and thin, and look like a bean.

ginger is just as easy to grow. just select some with some buds starting and place them in the ground with the buds facing up and about 1" of soil over them. they are a bit slower to grow and require moist soil.
Thanks Otis, I was told that they wouldn't grow like potatoes so didn't try. I will get some in when I get back from my trip. Cheers Steve

otis.drum

#12 Post by otis.drum » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am

you don't have to keep them covered like you do with potatoes to stop the sunlight getting too them and making them poisonous, but otherwise they grow similar.
...otis...

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

so for the road trip on the menu will be: Sweet Potato and Venison Hot Pot, Sweet Potato and Goat Casserole, Sweet Potato and Wild Boar Stew and just for a change perhaps Sweet Potato chipped with some freshly caught fish done in port batter.

cheers
sue

Goatchaser

#14 Post by Goatchaser » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 pm

little arrows wrote:so for the road trip on the menu will be: Sweet Potato and Venison Hot Pot, Sweet Potato and Goat Casserole, Sweet Potato and Wild Boar Stew and just for a change perhaps Sweet Potato chipped with some freshly caught fish done in port batter.

cheers
sue
what no bunnie's up that way? :lol:

bigbob

#15 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 pm

How about a nice tasty fox or two! :wink: 8) :shock:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Roadie

#16 Post by Roadie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Sue don't forget the sour cream, chives & Garlic...Cheers Roadie.

perry

#17 Post by perry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

MMmmmmm Roast Rabbit wrapped in Bacon, Caramelised Sweet Potato, maybe some Pea's and Corn and Mop up the Gravy with some Crusty Garlic Bread !

The only Rabbits on the Property Gary and I hope to take a Deer, Goat or Pig on for Meat this Trip has a Network of Rabbit Burrows around the old Homestead. They never stick their Heads out long enough or at a time when People are about so you can't shoot em ,Arrow or Bullet, and they are very switched on to Trapping, I certainly do not know enough about Trapping. Gary has managed to Trap a few young Rabbits but the older Rabbits know their way around a Trap.

There may be a few Carp in the Creek, maybe Flick a few Corn Kernals into the Creek, a Kernal Baited Hook, wonder what Carp and Sweet Potato would taste like :mrgreen:

Old Mate Shreks the Wiz at Trapping Rabbits I'm reliably informed. There you go, I can talk to Shrek about Trapping Rabbits over a Feed of Sweet Potato at the Hinterland Trad Shoot :biggrin:

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Tom Alker

#18 Post by Tom Alker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow score perry
Perpetual Curiosity.