Request for web site assistance!

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Request for web site assistance!

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

I actually started this post last year and never posted it but the need has become urgent.

G'day Folks,

Ozbow is here to benefit its members and Traditional Bowhunting and Archery in Australia. Like any web site it does take considerable effort to keep it functioning properly. I can tell you Ozbow only exists through the generosity of a few members who freely give of their time and tech know how of web site building. I am lost when it comes to such stuff. I do some basic maintenance and keep an eye on the day to day operating of the site is all.

Our forum board also needs updating a few times a year so Jude and I have always paid extra on our monthly web hosting costs to have this done by our Web Hosts. The boards needed updating recently (August 2012 actually) and when I contacted our hosts to ask them to please update it they said they would if I paid a cost that amounted to over a quarter of our yearly hosting costs. I told them our hosting fees had always covered this but they denied it. They also said that if we wanted web hosting with such assistance our hosting costs would increase by close to 70 percent. To say I wasn't impressed is an understatement. The person we had normally dealt with had recently left the company apparently.

Jude and I (along with a few generous donations) take care of the hosting costs of the site but quite frankly we cannot afford to pay for such an increase in the hosting fees. This has resulted in the forum boards not being updated since last year. So we are in a difficult situation and are reluctantly seeking assistance from Ozbow members. I say reluctantly as I hate bothering others. Anyway please consider if you (or if you know of anybody) that would be able to help us with the following.

1. Update our phpBB forums.
2. Help with updating the web site.
3. Know of a secure, reliable and value for money web hosting service.

Obviously these people would need to be very reliable, trustworthy and really know the tech side of things. Hopefully they may be able to teach me a few things as well. I know such services are usually quite costly so value for money is a priority for Jude and I.

Please also note that Ozbow is absolutely 100% non profit. We do not charge anyone who wishes to advertise on the site and have no interest in doing so. We are only too glad to support those who support Traditional Bowhunting and Archery in Australia.

Honestly, I feel like I am drowning in all this and don't know which is the best way forward. If you are able to assist in any of the above or can offer some suggestions please contact me via email or PM. If you wish to provide a telephone number I will gladly call to discuss things further.

Thanks

Jeff

bigbob

Re: Request for web site assistance!

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:04 pm

My immediate thoughts are membership fee for all forum users. Don't think anyone would quibble about that, and as distasteful as it might be paid advertising Jeff. Seems like there is little other options available.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Ay Jeff I'm prepared to make a donation of $50 to Help. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks fellas. Please let me say quite clearly that I am not asking for monetary donations. Also I am not interested in paid membership as that is the quickest way to kill any forum IMO. Hopefully with some further tech help or a better web site hosting deal things will work out.

Jeff

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Hey Jeff,

If you do not have any success in finding the help you required, then if you do need some monetary assistance in the short term I will throw in $20 to help the cause.

cheers
sue

ps - yes I did read your post Jeff, just letting you know and I am sure others would do the same.

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks fellas. Please let me say quite clearly that I am not asking for monetary donations. Also I am not interested in paid membership as that is the quickest way to kill any forum IMO. Hopefully with some further tech help or a better web site hosting deal things will work out.

Jeff
Donations aren't fees Jeff, I have $50 as well!

Surely with 10-20 people kicking the tin, will cause any Techo fee will be spanked.

Though I am not aware of any Techo who would fit the bill. :roll:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

happy to throw in a donation, or pay a small annual fee... or both to get you out of trouble.

surely $9.99 per year from all members would be a big help??? leave the site free for 'read only' to not scare potential new members off???
...otis...

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 pm

TTT!
razorbows.com

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Jeff, a few motorcycle sites I am on have a feature where you can donate to help run the site. Perhaps that will assist here. Also shirts/hats can be used to raise funds and can be done by someone other than yourself. I don't have much by way of computer knowledge but would be happy to learn if someone wants to pass on the knowledge(don't know if thats feasible). Cheers Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for your input folks. I can say that the offer of assistance has been simply incredible and things are looking very positive with both the updating of the forums and changing to a new hosting service. I will keep you updated as things are sorted out more.

How things can change for the better in a couple days. :biggrin:

Jeff

Ronster

#11 Post by Ronster » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:10 pm

I too am happy to pay an annual fee, though you say that is not what you need!
I am sorry Jeff that I dont have, or know anyone that has the computer knowledge that you are after.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks Ron. If things work out as it appears the new hosting costs should be covered no problems. :biggrin:

Jeff

Curvemeister

#13 Post by Curvemeister » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah I think some OZBOW T -shirts would go down well , id be in for a couple
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Curvemeister wrote:Yeah I think some OZBOW T -shirts would go down well , id be in for a couple
Yep yep yep great idea!
razorbows.com

wishsong

#15 Post by wishsong » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Jeff , let me know if I can help out with Funds

As for technology stuff ... mmmmm ... not me !

as for paid forum , I think it would very quickly discourage newbies etc

Sleepy

#16 Post by Sleepy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:...Our forum board also needs updating a few times a year so Jude and I have always paid extra on our monthly web hosting costs to have this done by our Web Hosts. The boards needed updating recently (August 2012 actually) and when I contacted our hosts to ask them to please update it they said they would if I paid a cost that amounted to over a quarter of our yearly hosting costs....
Hi Jeff,

Precisely what are these "updates" that your web hosts are apparently applying to the forum (bulletin) boards?

Are they upgrading the phpBB software used for the Ozbow forums to a newer version of this software? If so, here's an article on how to do this: https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/how-to ... of-phpbb3/
Stickbow Hunter wrote:... Anyway please consider if you (or if you know of anybody) that would be able to help us with the following.

1. Update our phpBB forums.
2. Help with updating the web site.
3. Know of a secure, reliable and value for money web hosting service.

I've no experience with running a phpBB forum, nor with web hosting. Haven't dealt with web hosters either so am afraid I can't help much on that score either.

If the "updates" to the forum boards are as simple as the article I posted the link to (see above) make it appear to be; can't help but wonder if your web hoster might be taking a wee bit of advantage here. Especially seeing as the guy you were previously dealing with (and who has since left that company) was happy to make those updates for free; things that are quick, cost little, and are easy to do are usually the things that come for free.

Cheers.

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Jeff, I love coming here.
I have less money than ever since being made redundant but cannot help technically. I suspect most trad archers cannot and the few who can probably would give of themselves but that does not allow the rest of us to contribute. I see this as no different to getting friends who can do the things I cannot to do it for me.

Please harness the resident ability of the mob to assist in cash.....we all want this to survive and flourish. Respectfully I suggest some plans.
first to raise cash to get a fund to get the right training for those who have the ability.
second to raise interim cash to pay those who you select.
third is to run a big pick of the table raffle but a virtual one......make it an annual fundraiser a month before Christmas.....would help most of us get a bit of a head start for Christmas

I have enjoyed being here for 5 or more years. I claim squatter's rights for a large Tee shirt for around $50 or so. I can afford $10 a year or less or around 20 cents a week and would feel privileged to be able to contribute.

Lot of Good will here and no one will feel badly about voluntary kicking the tin. Those that cannot, not an issue. Annual fees etc would create far too much work and detract from the venture.

No one should be stressing over this, least of all Jude and yourself. Let us face reality, as we get older some things get a bit harder to fund......we all need this to survive and flourish.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks once again for your offers of assistance folks. As of today I can give a further update on things.

Rob (rmcpb) who has been helping with the tech side of the site for a couple of years has spent the last week or so looking at how to do the updates to the forums. He and I are glad to report that he finally jumped in this morning and got the update done successfully. :biggrin: Now he has done it he said future updates shouldn't be a problem. A BIG thanks to Rob for his help.

Also we have been offered really really cheap web hosting which we will work toward changing over to. This host is in Gympie, only an hour from me and has a great reputation. So things seem to be really looking up. With this host change Jude and I should have no problems covering the running costs of the site. The biggest hurdle will be changing it all over which we will look into in the coming weeks.

So, once again thanks to all those who have offered their help in any way. It is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

rmcpb

#19 Post by rmcpb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:57 pm

So it looks like working out how to migrate the forum next :confused: Time to start digging.....
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

rmcpb wrote:So it looks like working out how to migrate the forum next :confused: Time to start digging.....
Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to but I think you have earned a little rest first mate. :mrgreen:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#21 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Rob, you certainly hide a broad range of talents there.
Look forward to seeing you , the boys and Matt when the AFL season finishes.
Well done you.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.