did bowyers find the bowyers bible useful?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

otis.drum

did bowyers find the bowyers bible useful?

#1 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 am

hi Guys,
just as the title says, i'm wondering if bowyers out there have read this and found it useful?

Also, was volume 1 superceded by volume 2, and so on to volume 4. or are they all in addtion to the previous volumes?

Are there other more useful readings to be had? looking in relation to stick bows and wood backedbows/wood lams only.

thanks.
...otis...

Goatchaser

Re: did bowyers find the bowyers bible useful?

#2 Post by Goatchaser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 am

They are a full series and each one has different info, 3rivers sell all 4 as a set............http://www.3riversarchery.com/Tradition ... eitem.html

Goatchaser

#3 Post by Goatchaser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

just add I do not have them Otis, so can't give you feedback, but from the description on 3rivers you can see what each of them covers. :wink:
Cheers Sean.

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am

I have all 4 and while there is some stuff in there that doesnt float my boat it would appear to do that for others - so it is all good one way or the other. The chapters on solving problems are great - as is the takedowns chapter and laminated bows.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

looseplucker wrote: doesnt float my boat

this is how i felt about it too, but just thought it might be worth a look. there would have to be something worth reading in it, and many things i could learn i'm sure.

i just saw on one of the other sites that you can download it as .PDF, so i might do that for one of them to see if it interests me before i buy any of them. bit of a try before you buy.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

That reminds me,i bought the 4 volumes a few years ago and haven't read them yet,i'll have to look for them later. :biggrin:

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:That reminds me,i bought the 4 volumes a few years ago and haven't read them yet,i'll have to look for them later. :biggrin:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :confused: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

woodie

#8 Post by woodie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I bought them when I started making selfbows and found them to have info that is good as well as not so good for us here, but it did give me somewhere to start.
Where can you get the PDFs from?
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 am

Morning All.
otis.drum wrote:just as the title says, i'm wondering if bowyers out there have read this and found it useful?

Also, was volume 1 superceded by volume 2, and so on to volume 4. or are they all in addtion to the previous volumes?
I have all 4 Volumes.

I found them to be useful books. However, their usefulness is dependent on the bowyer/archer and their interests and their capability to comprehend the material. If you want to make bows without glass/graphite they are great. If all you want to make is modern bows then not so great.

Would I buy them again - a very definite "Yes".

Each Volume is a separate book in its own right however they build on each other.

There is a huge amount of information available from other sources - eg ATARN, OzBow, Paleoplanet, etc. and it is all free - but that does not mean that people will search the information out, read, comprehend or apply it.

Like most things you may only refer to the books once in a Blue Moon after your initial read however it is all good reference material.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

otis.drum

#10 Post by otis.drum » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks Grahame, i am keen to continue building all woods at present, rather than compesites. preferably selfbows, and i would like to do a lot more with sticks/staves, as i don't enjoys the board bows as much, but i do not have access to great timber up here (that i have found).

i will have a flick throught he PDF's and see if i think it warrants buying the set.

Woodie, apparently you can get the PDF's off the net by a simple google search, though i was warned that many of the file are corupt and could have your computer. i also heard that it can be difficult to find the 3rd and 4th volume, but i am yet to have a look.
...otis...

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Afternoon
otis.drum wrote:... i am keen to continue building all woods at present ...
IMHO You will probably get value out of them. Note; they are built around using timbers that are more common in the Northern Hemisphere. However the principles remain the same.

As an aside. Many years ago I purchased a book on "Western Dry Flies". As a result I learnt a whole stack of things about tying Flies that you never probably consider usually if you looked at stuff on normal "Trout Flies". Some of the huge grasshopper patterns have accounted for some very large Archer Fish and Saratoga. It is like most things it is more about adapting the information than the definitive recipe.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tom Alker

#12 Post by Tom Alker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Perry has let me borrow Vol 1 and it's pretty interesting, I've learned a lot. I will be getting the collection for sure.

Cheers
Perpetual Curiosity.

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Hmmmmm, like your new avatar 'Tom' you seem a little different :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Tom Alker

#14 Post by Tom Alker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:00 pm

cheers bob haha, Still shaking from seeing your snakey bow man, what a beaut!
Perpetual Curiosity.

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm

your kinda cute Tom :mrgreen:

Tom Alker

#16 Post by Tom Alker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 pm

haha
Perpetual Curiosity.