Well I reckon its Cactus

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hazard

Well I reckon its Cactus

#1 Post by hazard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:41 pm

My great plains hasn't been used much of late as I have another bow I usually reach for first, so I went to let a few arrows go with him today . Its a take down recurve and noticed a dirty great crack on the limb as I was putting the stringer on. :shock:

This crack is on both sides of the top limb. On one side in particular it nearly travels the entire length of the working part of the limb.

I got it quite a while ago and it has had a fair run, but it shouldn't have failed like that.

I have always used a stringer on this bow and taken good care not to twist the limbs in any way, but I cant help but feel the type of stringer they supply contributed to its demise.

Firmly believing a tip to tip stringer is far superior to the ones with the tacky rubber thingy on it.

I did have some thoughts of sending it back to the factory, but don't care to run the gauntlet of them finding some technical loop hole to reneg on and then slug me for the replacement limbs on top let alone freight. I would rather give that money to someone locally.

Wasn't all that fussed about chancing getting caned on the "Niagra Falls" by the lower limb and string when and if it chooses to let go if I had it repaired:wink: If it was possible of course (which I doubt)

Anyway, I just thought someone out there would feel my pain. The loss of an old friend.

Hazard

image (16)aaa.JPG
image (16)aaa.JPG (29.89 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
photo (14)aaa.JPG
photo (14)aaa.JPG (49.74 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fanto

Re: Well I reckon its Cactus

#2 Post by Fanto » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:22 pm

ouch that's too bad hazard.

I lost one last week, but that's really disappointing to lose a Great Plains that is an expensive well regarded bow.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 am

Morning Graydon

that is not good news and Great Plains are not that common in Aus.
hazard wrote:I have always used a stringer on this bow and taken good care not to twist the limbs in any way, but I cant help but feel the type of stringer they supply contributed to its demise.

Firmly believing a tip to tip stringer is far superior to the ones with the tacky rubber thingy on it.
I agree. Whilst I own a few of those types of "stringers" I prefer not to use them and would not advocate their use.

Perhaps what you need to do is make a new limb/set of limbs or have you considered modifying a a new set of limbs to suit the 'Great Plains'?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am

hazard wrote:Well I reckon its Cactus
Well I reckon you're right. :mrgreen:

Seriously mate sorry to see. It is never good when a bow breaks however as long as bows are made their will be bows breaking. I don't know of any bow maker who as been making bows for any length of time that hasn't had their failures.

It's not good when it happens to you but sadly it does. Often you will not have done anything wrong at all as there would have been an unknown fault or weakness in a lamination or such and over time it has stressed and finally failed. Let's hope that is your last bow to break. :biggrin:

Jeff

Flatliner

#5 Post by Flatliner » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 am

I must have misunderstood when we spoke on the phone the other day, I had the impression the crack was through the limb the other way, IE; perpendicular to the flat face of the limb. It appears to me the timber lamination it self has failed, not the glue, and failed over the end of the wedge which is a very highly stressed area in most bows. (The main reason I use such a long, finely tapered wedge in my bows).
Because it's the timber that has let go and not the glue, there is the slim possibility that with the right glue, a syringe and a little care it could be brought back to a tenuous life.
Failing that, my condolences mate.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Hazard...I have had a bit to do with Bill and Linda Foreman's bows over the years and always found them straight up operators real proud of their product. If you feel all is not well worth running past them to see if they will assist.

dan76

#7 Post by dan76 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Mate i had a great plains bow and it was fantastic, i would send them an email and see if they will come to the party as it would be sad to see it go.

Dan

hazard

#8 Post by hazard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Fanto wrote:Great Plains that is an expensive well regarded bow.
Mate I agree, I really enjoyed this bow and I really cant fault its performance.
GrahameA wrote:Perhaps what you need to do is make a new limb/set of limbs or have you considered modifying a a new set of limbs to suit the 'Great Plains'?
Yes thats already being formulated from another direction.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Often you will not have done anything wrong at all as there would have been an unknown fault or weakness in a lamination or such and over time it has stressed and finally failed.
To be honest yes, and I cant fault Great Plains on that as it could happen to any bow any time. But these days I am just lucky like that :shock:
Flatliner wrote:there is the slim possibility that with the right glue, a syringe and a little care it could be brought back to a tenuous life.
I value my manhood too much to risk going down this path. :shock: :lol: :lol: But not to worry I can feel a Great Flatline coming on 8)
hardgainer wrote:Hi Hazard...I have had a bit to do with Bill and Linda Foreman's bows over the years and always found them straight up operators real proud of their product. If you feel all is not well worth running past them to see if they will assist.
Thanks for offering mate, but I am not comfortable asking when the bow is clearly out of the waranted time frame ( i feel like I would be preying on someones good nature) If you know what I mean. The costs at the end of the day will probably come out the same as getting them re-made. Though I could possibly contact them to see what their thoughts are in the matter. I should sleep on it a couple of days and see what presents itself :wink:
dan76 wrote:Mate i had a great plains bow and it was fantastic, i would send them an email and see if they will come to the party as it would be sad to see it go.

Dan
It won't be gone completely, just re-born in a hybrid :wink: But yes it was a very good bow.

Thanks guys
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Bugger.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?