Orange Trad Peg at QLD ABA State Titles

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Re: Orange Trad Peg at QLD ABA State Titles

#31 Post by kimall » Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Having said all of that, if your not confident at longer distances then you shouldnt have to shoot such. And as toby said, loosing/breaking arrows is a pain in the neck. If you put as much effort into making arrows as i do, then losing them at a distance your not comfortable with will only lessen your passion.

There is another point should the targets be put in front of areas that a miss will lead to shooting rocks or logs or a sea on lantana.Just asking thats all.:)
Cheers KIM

scuzz

#32 Post by scuzz » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 pm

kimall wrote:
There is another point should the targets be put in front of areas that a miss will lead to shooting rocks or logs or a sea on lantana.Just asking thats all.:)
Cheers KIM
Its normal at my club :lol:
Scuzz

perry

#33 Post by perry » Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am

My posts in this thread have been in the context of improving your consistency on the practice Range. Sure I like the odd longer shot on the 3D Coarse but I am confident in my ability. All I have abdicated is for Folks to improve Confidence in their ability.

It is one of my pet peeves when a 3D Coarse is set with targets hard up against Lantana, Rocks etc. A new Coarse for any Competition should be planned and prepared months in advance not the week before so such Tasks can be done and not by People who do not understand a Arrows Trajectory when shot from a 135 fps Selfbow. I have shot Dozens of 3D and ABA Field Coarses where no consideration was given to this type of Equipment . I know when I assisted at Caboolture we took great pains minimise Arrow Breakage or loss, cleared Lantana behind Targets etc. You can't cover all loss or breakage siuations but you can put in some thought and effort

Sure use the lay of the Land and Tree's Rocks etc but position the Targets so that the Lantana is several yards behind so that the Arrows drop just short of it, use imagination and set the Aligator Target up like a Giant Goanna, climbing the Tree so that if Archers miss to one side the Arrow does not strike something solid, if they miss High or low they hit rubber. Shoot over the Tree Stump with the Archer standing in a shallow depression to create the illusion the Arrows will hit the stump but in fact due to its arched Trajectory will clear it by a wide margin, place the Target on it instead of infront of it etc etc.

Having said that many Archers walk up to a Target and talk themselves out of the Shot when their first thought when they see a tight or longer shot is not the Target itself but the Tree off to one side, I hope I don't hit the Tyre etc. Wide shooting lanes are great but dead boring, there is a balance.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#34 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 pm

perry wrote:It is one of my pet peeves when a 3D Coarse is set with targets hard up against Lantana, Rocks etc. A new Coarse for any Competition should be planned and prepared months in advance not the week before so such Tasks can be done and not by People who do not understand a Arrows Trajectory when shot from a 135 fps Selfbow. I have shot Dozens of 3D and ABA Field Coarses where no consideration was given to this type of Equipment . I know when I assisted at Caboolture we took great pains minimise Arrow Breakage or loss, cleared Lantana behind Targets etc. You can't cover all loss or breakage siuations but you can put in some thought and effort
So I take it you definitely wouldn't have liked the courses we use to set up for the Australian Longbow Musters then Perry. :lol:
Longbow-Muster-1.jpg
Longbow-Muster-1.jpg (102.79 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-5.jpg
Longbow-Muster-5.jpg (98.86 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-9.jpg
Longbow-Muster-9.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-13.jpg
Longbow-Muster-13.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-4.jpg
Longbow-Muster-4.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-3.jpg
Longbow-Muster-3.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Longbow-Muster-16.jpg
Longbow-Muster-16.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
We always thought they were a ton of fun to shoot!!! Yes, we all lost or broke arras in the process but that was all part of the fun!!! :mrgreen:

Jeff

scuzz

#35 Post by scuzz » Fri May 03, 2013 2:57 pm

I like the shot you need to paddle to retrieve :lol:

Scuzz

dan76

#36 Post by dan76 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:58 pm

There is some tough shots in there that's for sure, looks like fun :biggrin: . You guys used to do a 180 yard elk shot too didn't you?

Dan

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#37 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm

scuzz wrote:I like the shot you need to paddle to retrieve :lol:
You would probably have liked this one at the Croc as well then Scuzz. :biggrin:
Longbow-Muster-7.jpg
Longbow-Muster-7.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
dan76 wrote:You guys used to do a 180 yard elk shot too didn't you?
Yeah Dan. It was 185yds a la Howard Hill's Elk shot.

Jeff

Ronster

#38 Post by Ronster » Fri May 03, 2013 3:25 pm

So I take it you definitely wouldn't have liked the courses we use to set up for the Australian Longbow Musters then Perry. :lol:
"Bloody Nora" :surprised: :lol:
Now thats Trad

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

longbowinfected

#39 Post by longbowinfected » Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Nothing wrong with any of them unless it was situated on a billabong equipped with 13 foot salties.
Would make you swim quicker or use a bow fishing arrow. Least there aren't too many tree stumps to jump in front of your arrow......they are pretty quick.

I think croc shots and plastic fish shots should have the beast two foot under water.
Bunnies should be up a steep hill surrounded by rocks inside a tree stump 50 metres away.
People probably wouldn't let me set up a course. I figure that if I have to do the Leyland Brothers, everyone else should have to have as much fun.

all trad arrows were destined to die the minute they were born.

bamboo update......I bought a hundred boo arrow shafts three years ago. They were all made up. only broken one so far but I do make them a couple of inches longer to begin with. I figure I will not get to wear them out this life time.

Hey I broke three alloy target arrows at the club today on the metal frame. I was getting 45/60 points most ends at 50 metres most of the time and broke one arrow on each of three ends during some weird wind and still scored 40 with 5 arrows.....did nothing different you could see them getting slammed by the wind half way down.

I haven't lost or broken an arrow at target or field for a few years and I was really shooting well. It is what it is.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

perry

#40 Post by perry » Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 pm

My post was in reference to 3DAAA and ABA Coarses which are a very different thing to the Longbow Muster or a Trad Shoot.

Years ago at a club I have since kissed and made up with hosted the 3DAAA Queensland Titles. 8 of the first 10 targets the Range Captain had taken no account of anybody shooting a Trad Bow and catered for short fast Compounds only. Shooting my 76' long Selfbow, the shooting Lanes where overgrown with vegetation, narrow and or low, even if one knelt or other wise contorted I could not find room to get past 1/2 Draw. The other coarse had many of the 3D Targets set at such extreme angles leaning back or forward in an attempt to minimise the score Zone that when my 146 FPS Selfbow launched an Arrow the trajectory and combined angle the Target was set at was such that if you struck the score Zone the Arrow to glanced off into the Scrub. Just to steep an angle for the Arrow to stick in

You'll be surprised no doubt I really enjoy Coarses like that Jeff. All those shots look perfectly clear bar the Bedded Chital, a few Rocks behind it :smile: Did the Longbow Muster have the 185 Yard Elk Shot or was that another shoot. A shot like that or one as long as a host club can have is a great idea for any Trad Shoot, too rich a history in Games like Roving and the Legend behind some of Howard Hills Shots not to celebrate longer shots once in a while

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#41 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Perry,

I certainly understand your comment about catering to all shooters when setting up a course. We always did our best to ensure everyone could shoot the targets - short, tall, right handed, left handed, self bow etc. Those targets may have been clear (those photos were just some I happened to have scanned) but many were not. Even though they were clear, if you missed you would often loose an arra.
perry wrote:Did the Longbow Muster have the 185 Yard Elk Shot or was that another shoot.
The Longbow Muster always had the 185 yd Elk shot. We were fortunate to have such a large clear area for this type of event. It was always very popular with those who attended. :biggrin:

Jeff

Mick Smith

#42 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 pm

I've been known to lay out a 3D course or two in my time, but I've got to say Jeff, some of those shots in your photos are absolutely fantastic. Contestants would remember them for many years afterwards. The better archers might remember them fondly, however the not so accurate competitors might remember them for other reasons.

Personally, I have always loved a challenging 3D shot. My most preferred targets were usually fairly close range ones, but with a twist, such as shooting though a hollow log or through a tiny gap in the foliage. I was never fond of artificial backstops behind targets, but I always appreciated a set up where arrows that missed the target could be found relatively easily.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Bent Stick

#43 Post by Bent Stick » Sat May 04, 2013 6:54 am

Mate when the course is like that would you stress about going through arra's like a box of matches, not me, I dig it,

I don't make em to keep em, I shoot em.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

dan76

#44 Post by dan76 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Well the state titles are over and there was only about 10 or 12 of us shooting the trad peg, I have mixed feelings about shooting of that peg as some of the shots where great and some were far too simple. That being said the orange peg placements could have been made more challenging with some more thought and planning. My wife is not as experienced a shooter as i am and she loved it and felt it suited her abilities well and she managed to take out second place in the ladies longbow. I on the other hand shot the mens recurve division and placed first, but i wished there were more shooters to make it more exciting. It definitely was not like shooting at gladstone or gympie where the shots push you and your abilities, sometimes to there utmost. At no time over the last 2 days did i think (wow this is a hard shot) the only times i buggered up was when my form failed not because of the difficulty of the terrain or target placement. All that being said i still had a good time and shot with some great people. I hope i am not sounding like i am putting it down or being too hard on the shoot but that's what i saw and felt.

Danny

splashy

#45 Post by splashy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am

All right - as a relative newbie, I'll have a bite.
From a new-comers perspective this is a great step. Much less intimidating and a great way to get people like me in there and having a go. You will notice I used the word "step". Being quite competitive it is highly likely that I will start stepping back and shooting modern recurve - or any old peg I feel like. I'm not interested in scores -I shoot 'cause I enjoy it and it keeps me sharp for hunting.
As for now, I am highly tempted to go and get some wooden arrows so I can start off a little more in my comfort zone, build up my technique correctly and with confidence, and then push past this.
I fully agree with everyone's talk about challenging themselves etc etc, but it seems to me that us beginners need a place to start.
This seems a pretty good place to start.
who? me?

littlejohn59

#46 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Of course its not preferable to shoot up against rocks and and walls where you break or lose arrows. However its a competiton. So regardless of the surroundings, shoot your arrows. Go for broke. If you want your arrows to remain in 1 piece dont shoot competiton. Competiton should improve your archery. Maybe take a shot that you wouldn't normally. Thats the way you improve.
I know its a bit of a strong statement but if it makes me shoot better and have fun and talk about that shot afterwards, it must be good. I hope others agree. :surprised: :shock: :biggrin:

longbowinfected

#47 Post by longbowinfected » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Littlejohn,
I tend to agree with you. Tough surrounds are not there to kill arrows but to distract you. If the distraction puts you off, perhaps you are out of form , have not practised enough or are not really ready yet. You do not get choices of easy convenient shots stalking and hunting. If you are really concerned just pass on the day and then practice that shot elsewhere after the event. Failing that make a few plain Jane sacrificial arrows...not the best option because you really need the best projectiles to get the best results.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

little arrows

#48 Post by little arrows » Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Unfortunately we weren't able to attend, (way too much to do for next weekends Trad shoot), and considering the club only decided to put the peg in two weeks ago, there probably wasn't too much thought as to the target/peg placement, and not having Trad feedback to go on, it may not have been as challenging. Sometimes the RO being used to shooting from further back and down mowed lanes, can't quite grasp the - "off to one side away from the mowed lane" idea. That will improve with time.
Today I have had a lot of feedback in reference to other archers that attended who were not aware the Trad peg was going to be put in so ended up not shooting their Trad Gear at all and would have preferred to, and will next time, as I believe the club will be leaving it in place.

Its a small start, something is better than nothing and you don't HAVE to use it, but there are some of us that just wanna have a bitta fun, and enjoy the shooting.
We also have to remember, the bigger organisations have not actually attended a Trad shoot, so are unaware of the variety of events being shot.

So dan76 as you are a member of Wide Bay, perhaps you and a couple of the other Trad shooters could give your club some feedback into shot placement. Do 1/3 easy-ish, 1/3 gettable, 1/3 to sort the top shots - without being stupid. Move the peg onto the edge of the path, and as long as all Trad shoot together (which I know they did) there is no arrow conflict.

cheers
sue

Ronster

#49 Post by Ronster » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Good comments Sue, The only addition I would like to make is that wherever the peg is put, give the archer full view of scoring Zone. The reason for that comment is that on occasion there have been times "ABA shoots" Grading and at my club that peg position is put behind a tree or other which is ok, if it possible to see the target, when standing, Kneeling or even getting down on your backside. Sometimes it's not, and the only way to be able to get a shot at the target, is to step off the plate, (not allowed under ABA rules).
Thanks for the updates. :smile:
Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Bent Stick

#50 Post by Bent Stick » Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Ahh don't sweat it too much soon the modern trad HUD in your sight window will change the score zone for the angle and orientation, score careers willalfunction but pyrethrum sure ther'd be a mod com to suit pretty fast.

I like the idea of getting back into grass roots, hunters peg with me tied up like A pretzel and a tight but great hunting shot shich is often a foot away from that score thingy which on some targets is so anatomaly incorrect I don't even see it zoning in. MIMMM kinda sounds like a good shoot.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons