Oops. Not a good look

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chase N. Nocks

Re: Oops. Not a good look

#31 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 am

looseplucker wrote:
wishsong wrote:Nephew ... all good !

Loose ..... your are incorrigible ... as only banjo players can be :surprised:

One does one's best - as does Nephew.

I knew when I posted this the debate was going to be robust - as it should be. But I'm conscious, having inflamed stuff in the past, that this is actually a campfire and the ones I like the best are where there is robust debate and a laugh.

Hence the cartoon.
Well I'm offended by the cartoon. And as stated in the OzBow Shirt topic I'm size XXXX Robust. :wink:

looseplucker wrote: And Wishsong, if you think I was incorrigible here I've been having a bit of fun tonight posting it to right wing hate Facebook sites with a Happy Australia Day message and then wading in. More fun a kelpie in a paddock of rabbits and then my hippy musician friends moseyed on in and well we stopped the nastiness coming back at us. Proving that sometimes the pen, or at least the keyboard, is mightier than the sword.

In taking the p*ss, that is.
Ah yes, the RW lunatics. I would join you in the fun but I belonged to a political forum for a few years and they exhausted me no end. There was an influx of them when a yahoo forum closed and intelligent debate went downhill. What they lack in IQ they make up for with vitriol. With a few exceptions a nasty bunch one and all.

They enjoy the impenetrable armour that can only be achieved by melding certainty with ignorance. I admire your tenacity.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

looseplucker

#32 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

Chase N. Nocks wrote:
looseplucker wrote:
wishsong wrote:Nephew ... all good !

Loose ..... your are incorrigible ... as only banjo players can be :surprised:

One does one's best - as does Nephew.

I knew when I posted this the debate was going to be robust - as it should be. But I'm conscious, having inflamed stuff in the past, that this is actually a campfire and the ones I like the best are where there is robust debate and a laugh.

Hence the cartoon.
Well I'm offended by the cartoon. And as stated in the OzBow Shirt topic I'm size XXXX Robust. :wink:

looseplucker wrote: And Wishsong, if you think I was incorrigible here I've been having a bit of fun tonight posting it to right wing hate Facebook sites with a Happy Australia Day message and then wading in. More fun a kelpie in a paddock of rabbits and then my hippy musician friends moseyed on in and well we stopped the nastiness coming back at us. Proving that sometimes the pen, or at least the keyboard, is mightier than the sword.

In taking the p*ss, that is.
Ah yes, the RW lunatics. I would join you in the fun but I belonged to a political forum for a few years and they exhausted me no end. There was an influx of them when a yahoo forum closed and intelligent debate went downhill. What they lack in IQ they make up for with vitriol. With a few exceptions a nasty bunch one and all.

They enjoy the impenetrable armour that can only be achieved by melding certainty with ignorance. I admire your tenacity.

Cheers
Troy
Nothing tenacious about being a sh*t-stirrer. I could do it as an Olympic Sport. I derive an enormous amount of satisfaction from using humour and irony to deflate these angry people. It has the same effect as a crucifix on a vampire or salt on a slug.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

GrahameA

#33 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Perry, et al.
... The qualifyer is that the ABC makes a great Song and Dance about being Fair and Impartial, and a balanced approach - Baloney - in all the Years I have been listening to the ABC only twice have I heard a Fair Balanced Interview in regards to Hunting related topics. ...
For me this is "deja vu".

You appear to hold an opinion that the ABC is biased. From my viewpoint that is an opinion - just like claiming a bow is fast or slow. In the case of the bow the truth can be determined by applying a test - a Chronograph - which provides a measure of how fast the bow shoots.

Similarly there a techniques which provide measures to determine if there is bias present and if so how much.

My standard reply stands - "Where are the numbers"?

It is also worthwhile to note what is being considered. Are we talking about "News Reporting" or are we talking about "Commentary"?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

memo

#34 Post by memo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

MINISTER REINSTATES MALLEN
The Minister for Primary Industries has today reinstated suspended Game Council NSW employee Mr Andy Mallen.
Mr Mallen had been suspended by the Minister following allegations of illegal hunting, reported in the Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday 23 January.
The Minister commented, “this recommendation was made on the basis of a detailed statement to NSW Police by Mr Mallen that clearly proves he was in Sydney on the date of the alleged incident.”
The allegations reported against two Game Council NSW employees are clearly in doubt; the fact that Mr Mallen was hundreds of kilometers from where the alleged incident occurred is just the first hole that will be poked in the story, according to Game Council NSW Chairman John Mumford.
“This is a shocking example of an unfounded smear campaign that has been publicised without a second thought about the possible motivations of those making the accusations,” Mr Mumford said.
“We demand a formal apology be made to Andy and his family by the Sydney Morning Herald and the journalist responsible. An honourable, loyal and ethical man has been vilified with no just cause; his life has been turned upside down and his professional reputation ruined all to further the agenda of those opposed to hunting.
“In fact, I ask: will the Sydney Morning Herald stand down the editor and journalist responsible for this defamatory story, pending an investigation into how a man who was in Sydney at the time of the alleged offence was accused of something that occurred in the far west of the State? And will they publish the results of that investigation on the front page of their newspaper? If not, why not?”
Mr Mallen is still reeling from the past week’s events and is concerned that, whilst reinstated, his good name has been tarnished irreparably.
“There can be no doubt that there is a cloud hanging over my integrity due to the Sydney Morning Herald article” Mr Mallen said.
“Law abiding firearms owners are a very ethical bunch and have no time for persons associated with illegal hunting as I now am. The paper has a lot to answer for, as does the person/(s) that leaked this to the media, either intentionally or accidentally.”
Mr Mumford has highlighted concerns for the health of the accused employees, “this story has taken its toll on these men and their families in a way that cannot be described. For such highly regarded, dedicated men to be thrust in the spotlight for the sake of an anti-hunting agenda is just despicable.
“Game Council has total confidence in the two staff members: we have one clear with one to go.
“Those that have used this allegation to promote their own biased agendas need to be called to account for this horrible miscarriage of the basic principle of ‘innocent until proven guilty’.

Roadie

#35 Post by Roadie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Interesting, The Plot thickens. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#36 Post by perry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 am

Morning Grahame, all's well Mate - yes it is my opinion based on my experience listening to them. The last thing on my mind is measuring Bias when I'm listening to the Radio while I'm on my way to or at Work and with the greatest of Respect I think it's a little silly. My Bias may well be your fair and balanced Interview. I occasionly log onto the ABC website and listen to the Stories again just to make sure I heard right. It's not too much to ask if they Run a breaking story that the Media organisation then follow it through especially when the initial Report was left hanging in such a Manor that it will clearly create False or misleading images in Peoples minds

Society by and large finds Hunting distastfull, it's only natural that Society's attitudes are reflected in the ABC. They are the most credible Media in this Country that I access and I shall continue to listen intently to them. Again I note that despite listening to Radio National or 612 ABC for big chunks of Friday the 25th I did not hear new developments in this story reported and they seemed to run the same Headlines and News reports all day

As a Queenslander I am not aware of all the Anti Hysterics and Political Games being played with National Parks being opened for Hunters in NSW, not once have I heard a mention of it in our Media so I am ignorant of most of the Carry On as I only gleamed bits and pieces from Peoples Rantings on other Forums. Fast forward to tonight and again it takes an Internet Forum to inform of developments in this Story and I'm left to fill in the blanks. To my mind this Game Council Stitch up is a little more important than Malcolm Turnbull having a Rant about Wayne Swans Republic commentry published in a Sydney Newspaper which was all over Radio National on Friday

I guess it boils down to News is relative to each Individual .It is good to see the Police investigating so Quickly though. Sadly the damage has been done.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

looseplucker

#37 Post by looseplucker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 am

Roadie wrote:Interesting, The Plot thickens. Cheers Roadie.
Indeed - and still it is not a good look whichever way as it puts back in the spotlight not just hunting in general but the stitch up of the deal between NSW Govt and the Shooter's Party - which as I've said before was done pretty badly.

But that is also the nature of the media. And the bias is not all one way. The Ashby affair for instance. Not one mainstream media organisation, ABC included, has done any detailed examination or analysis of the entire story - focussing largely on Slipper and ignoring the stitch up in the false allegations and the abuse of the processes of the court.

If I really want news I go to web providers: Global Mail, Independent Australia, Crikey etc. Much better standard of independence and accountability. I will still watch the ABC for the 7pm news but even the 7:30 report is largely coming off the short run on all sorts of issues that deserve closer analysis and examination.

Nephew

#38 Post by Nephew » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 pm

That cartoon is now my current desktop background. What a classic!! :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

discord

#39 Post by discord » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:29 am

HAIL ERIS!

jindydiver

#40 Post by jindydiver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 am

discord wrote:Update today in the SMH...
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/senior-huntin ... 2hd2e.html
The SMH are not neutral in their treatment of the GC and hunters. There are other reports with a slightly different slant...
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/s ... ms/?cs=102

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... YWxsPTE%3D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

looseplucker

#41 Post by looseplucker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Garry Mallard just posted on FB that it was actually the Game Council that called in the cops when it heard about the allegations....but Fairfax are claiming by omission that it was a piece of investigative journalism.

Anyhow - as I messaged you, I wrote the following to the SMH, but even Waterhouse won't give odds on it getting published.

I refer to Heath Aston's article "Game Council's role as the guardian of ethical hunting is in tatters" (SMH 6 -4-13) because a senior manager and volunteer have been charged with various hunting offences. Leaving aside the trashing of the presumption of innocence would Heath Aston claim be that, say, if a senior NSW police officer had been charged with multiple offences? Would that mean that the NSW Police Force's role as guardian of law and order was in tatters? On Mr Aston's logic that would have to be the case. Or is this the usual conflation by the Sydney Morning Herald in its crusade to tar all hunters who do the right thing with the same brush of those that do the wrong? For the record, as a hunter and R Licence holder issued by the Game Council if these two have been proved, following due process, and not trial by media, to have committed these offences then they should be dealt with to the full measure of the law"