Shipping- 1pc bow from uS

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

daniel boon

Shipping- 1pc bow from uS

#1 Post by daniel boon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:45 am

Bought a cheaper 1pc bow from US, that was sent nearly 2 weeks ago through USPS.
Got a message from the seller, that the bow was returned to them, reason being, that Australia Post will not accept packages over 36" long. The seller was told that acompany can send it, but not a resident. The USP and another courier is well over 300 bucks. I had a bow shipped by FED-EX (I think) few months ago, that was about 130, but its not an option on this one.
Anyone know anything about this?

matt61

Re: Shipping- 1pc bow from uS

#2 Post by matt61 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:20 am

A mate of mine enquired about buying aTomahawk longbow from 3Rivers
and they quoted him $70US dollars to post it here in the hard longbow
case they sell.This subject about postage has been on this forum before
and the price to post a longbow from the US varied between $40 to
$200US according to members.I paid $200US to get two longbows posted
over using Fedex from Cascade bows in Washington state,I could have got
three bows in the package for $236US but that would have put the dollar
value over $1000AUS
Matt

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:15 am

check out myus.com Its a forwarding company and you will have to register this end but will be about the cheapest option you'll get.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 am

I thought once the item was in the postal system that was it so I didn't think Australia Post could refuse to accept a parcel. However Australia Post's service is getting more pathetic every year so I would not be surprised. :roll:

Jeff

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 am

Ahhhhh USPS postal charges and rules read like a "Chinese Packa Poo ticket". I have had bows from 66" to 52" shipped from west coast to east coast and central US at a range of prices that dont compute. My best is from Mich USPS 52" @ US$48. Different States seem to operate under different rules? If the sender is a buddy of he postmaster its smooth as silk.
Ironically Ive landed parcels from central USA quicker than Oz postal delivery this end once landed.
Postage..... a area of much mystery :confused:

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

myus.com I am a member. haven't sent a 1 pce but the online rate calculator says $60 us.
I have used the site, worke great, 5 day delivery with dhl. sucks about the bow. I got one in December by asking the seller to print the label and drop it at a post office. I got 4 in this way last year.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Fanto does it work in reverse? In other words can I use it to send a bow Stateside as against getting one from there? I've got one to go there in a month or two.
razorbows.com

daniel boon

#8 Post by daniel boon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 pm

The bow was in the mail for a bit over 2 weeks before it was returned. On the shipping document it states 6-12 day delivery, so I figure that it got to AUS, and got sent back. Going to the post office tomorrow !

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

bob

no idea mate. You would have to send it to MYUS in Florida, so you may be better off just sending in direct, with DHL or FedEX
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Bent Stick

#10 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am

I've had 4 longbows from the US posted by USPS and haven't had the said problem, and cheapest was $36 most expensive $43 There are a fair few people using services such as that mentioned above, reckon it may be the go.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Bent Stick wrote:I've had 4 longbows from the US posted by USPS and haven't had the said problem, and cheapest was $36 most expensive $43 There are a fair few people using services such as that mentioned above, reckon it may be the go.
Seems if you do a bit of digging you can get some great rates coming this way but havent done much yet going the other way. Hope it works that way too.
razorbows.com

daniel boon

#12 Post by daniel boon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Re- info received from Austpost,
Maximum length of parcels allowed by Austpost 1.050m (42") from US, DHL has the contract and they ship the parcels in 1.1m crates, hence the size limit. However this only applies to personal mail, if you are a registered company, they have a special deal with Austpost, and the restrictions do not apply. (probably cheaper too). When I said I'd received oversize items before, their reply was that I should not have, or it was sent by a company.
And that's all I got. I have another one in the mail, also sent USPS, it's been shipped for over a week. Priority mail 6-10 work days, so we'll see what happens with this one.
Cheers Dan

Bent Stick

#13 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Good luck mate hope you get this one ok
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

daniel boon

Re: Shipping- 1pc bow from US (cont)

#14 Post by daniel boon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Well picked up a parcel from the P-office today, It was from US, posted through USPS, 1.57m long, ( a bit over 1/2metre over length). Quizzed the chick behind the counter ( re - being overlength, and the other being returned), she said that it must have been hand sorted. How does hand sorting a 1.57m parcel, make it fit into a 1.1m crate ??? I might not be the smartest bloke on the planet, but it does not add up. Looks like another call to the main office, getting sick of being fed
B------T.
Anyway, have as new McCoulough 59'er to play with.
Will let you know what happens with Austpost
Cheers Dan

daniel boon

#15 Post by daniel boon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Jeff, you was spot on.
Re-"Natasha" Austpost International Shipping.
Austpost will accept any size parcels shipped to them by another courier (cannot speak for what restrictions another courier might have). If the item is returned by Austpost, it should not have been, and they will pay compensation.
So the SAGA continues, just thought it might be helpfull for others wanting cheaper shipping than through one of the couriers
Cheers Dan

wishsong

#16 Post by wishsong » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am

McCoulough 59'er

Pics ! C'mon
... what a beautiful bow

Chase N. Nocks

#17 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am

wishsong wrote:McCoulough 59'er

Pics ! C'mon
... what a beautiful bow
+1. Please.

Love this style of recurve.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 am

daniel boon wrote:Jeff, you was spot on.
Re-"Natasha" Austpost International Shipping.
Austpost will accept any size parcels shipped to them by another courier (cannot speak for what restrictions another courier might have). If the item is returned by Austpost, it should not have been, and they will pay compensation.
So the SAGA continues, just thought it might be helpfull for others wanting cheaper shipping than through one of the couriers
Cheers Dan
Well Dan I do hope you get it all sorted out about that bow that was supposed to have been returned then. :roll:

There's some funny stuff going on in the postal service/USA customs etc now days. Last year I had a Priority Mail parcel (books worth a lot of money) supposedly held up in USA Customs for over a month. It's odd that when we chased up about where the missing books were and they were eventually found and said to be in USA Customs they suddenly arrived a few days later. Of course when you pay for a faster delivery you get no refund when the parcel was delivered weeks late.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#19 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am

matt61 wrote:A mate of mine enquired about buying aTomahawk longbow from 3Rivers
and they quoted him $70US dollars to post it here in the hard longbow
case they sell.This subject about postage has been on this forum before
and the price to post a longbow from the US varied between $40 to
$200US according to members.I paid $200US to get two longbows posted
over using Fedex from Cascade bows in Washington state,I could have got
three bows in the package for $236US but that would have put the dollar
value over $1000AUS
Matt
Hey Matt, how long ago was this quote from 3Rivers?

Considering a similar purchase myself in the next couple of months.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"