I want to take up traditional archery

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn59

I want to take up traditional archery

#1 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

Would anybody like to recommend a book for a beginner that wants to take up trad archery?

A concise book that covers topics such as buying, shooting, tuning the bow, buying, selection, making and tuning of arrows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Buranurra

Re: I want to take up traditional archery

#2 Post by Buranurra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:29 pm

I have "Traditional Archery" by Sam Fadala and it is a great book that covers a whole range of aspects.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 pm

ive got Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson, it was useful to me. He is quite subtle but the advice is pretty standard in terms of form, tuning etc.

Ive got a .pdf document that helped me set everything up really well. its an olympic style archery guide, but everything except the plunger button is very much applicable to trad. shooters.

its too big to attach, please PM me if you want a copy.

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Bent Stick

#4 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm

You got the best book open mate, learn to use wildcards in your google or other search engine and there has got to be a bout 10,000 pages of detailed info, "Read until you had enough and then go get some."

Ozbow is only one Trad forum mate "obviously the bestest, coz it's ours", there are others overseas also, read away mate I doubt there is not much in any book that hasn't been debated or flogged to death on the forums.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Sam Fadala's book is a great one

T.j Conrads book on traditional archery and bowhunting is pretty good too but it is geared towards hunting rather than 'Trad' as such but the tuning , bow and arrow selection is pretty darn good

AndyD

#6 Post by AndyD » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Bent Stick wrote:You got the best book open mate, learn to use wildcards in your google or other search engine and there has got to be a bout 10,000 pages of detailed info, "Read until you had enough and then go get some."

Ozbow is only one Trad forum mate "obviously the bestest, coz it's ours", there are others overseas also, read away mate I doubt there is not much in any book that hasn't been debated or flogged to death on the forums.

Yep I would agree with the above but also find your local club and head out there. You'll find most archers are a friendly, welcoming bunch all too willing to talk about their favourite topic!

I have made a number of good mates from newbies coming to the club and if they mention hunting they get flicked my way.
cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

piggy

#7 Post by piggy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Littlejohn,I have a heap of books and a number of bows your welcome to borrow the books provided they are returned in the same condition.
Your welcome to call over and have a shoot of some bow's to help give you an idea.
Pm me your number if interested

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Little john59, this is not for you is it, I have shot with you, you ain't no beginner. What's the go,or are you going back to the real Basic's. Cheers Roadie. (Stirrer)

littlejohn59

#9 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Stirrer you are! Remember when you first started? Just a tad back in time. :biggrin:

There is a newbie at the club. To help him along i was hoping that someone in their travels has come across a BOOK with all the relevant information in one place that can referenced

So if anybody has suggestions for a BOOK they would recommend, i'd appreciate it.

Ps I am helping the newbie along like i know everyone here would too.

ian

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:13 pm

I was going to say the same thing Roadie. As far as shooting a bow, G.Fred Asbell Instinctive shooting book or DVD isn't a bad place to start.
With bows, that is a more personal choice and only shooting each style will give you an idea, and of course, ask many questions, google lots of info - go to a local club and talk to the Trad people. Get to a Trad shoot, they are even more diverse.

Either way, learning if half the fun.

cheers
sue

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I love this guy!!! he has asked a very good question, unfortunately some (not all ) answered the who he is not the question he has asked!! :mrgreen:
littlejohn59 wrote: Would anybody like to recommend a book for a beginner that wants to take up trad archery?

A concise book that covers topics such as buying, shooting, tuning the bow, buying, selection, making and tuning of arrows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry mate I learned it from exposure to clubs and competitions and a lot of people contributing their beliefs on the subject, no specific or profound book contributed to what I understand of archery. I have not come by a book yet but also some of the recommendations so far may help :neutral: I just haven't read them yet.

Sorry mate but I am guessing here but , good question though. If I struck someone trying to learn from a pure source I honestly don't believe such a thing exists, just time research and application, maybe then through time research and application they will really learn the specific avenue that fulfills their needs. A bit heavy but the best answer I can give :roll:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

little arrows

#12 Post by little arrows » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

did so tooo recommendeded a book, 'cause even I'se readeded it ....... :lol:

cheers
sue

hazard

#13 Post by hazard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:13 pm

little arrows wrote:did so tooo recommendeded a book, 'cause even I'se readeded it ....... :lol:

cheers
sue

Of course tou didded!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hazard

Trad Bound

#14 Post by Trad Bound » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:36 am

Littlejohn
I think the idea of you wanting to take up archery (sure its a new member of the club :wink: ) is a good idea. A couple of thoughts during this time of Xmas cheer:
1. Make sure there is a section on attending trad shoots and setting up a tent in preference to sleeping in the car (who would do that) :surprised: .
2. Join a club where there is suppport for Trad instead of being the odd one out :idea: .
3. Reading a good book can only help you :lol: sorry their shooting. Boy I hope it does not help your shooting any better.

seriously Traditional Bowyers Bibles cover some of what you are after. I have not read the last edition (some local libraries have these).
A very good current book is Shooting the Stickbow. a practical approach to classical archery by Anthony Camera. Anthony has been a regular contributor to Leatherwall in the US i think his title is Viper (Hardgainer would know). Both Hardgainer and I own copies and have discussed the value of the information in this book, it is a largish book the size of a phone book some 400 pages with lots of black and white photos (the only disappointment) and a very good practical resource.
Good luck with supporting the new member, won't that make to two trad shooters at you club thats amazing a 100% increase in your clubs trad shooters campaign (something must be working). I can see the rye smile on your face and the words come from your mouth about my parents and wether they were wedded from some current research suggest that maybe the case :biggrin:
Hope to see you during January
Cheers
TonyJ

littlejohn59

#15 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Ohhhhhhh and a very merry Christmas to you Mr Tradbound. :biggrin: So many positives and so few negatives. :roll:

The Christmas spirit, talking of which i now need my spirits to lift my Christmas cheer. Thank you!!

:oops: i need to correct you, Grand total of 6 we are, 3 new females have taken up our ancient art. I am not very good with numbers. % increase? Could you help me out please :?:

You should know i have mentioned to them lilydale. Great location and friendly knowledgeable people. The Up coming Ballarat shoot and the LB100.

Thanks for nominating your beginner/ experienced book (i mean me....lol) Though you went about it in a long way! :roll:

Oh i so agree with HAZARD! (above comment) Some 200 views of other archers have also checked this thread in search for a good reference book recommended by other members. :geek:

p.s. Not TELLING if i will be attending the January shoots.

pps. i sleep in the car cause at night i snore like a grizzly

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

Roadie

#16 Post by Roadie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Yep I can vouch for that, he sounds like 2 Grizzlys having a domestic. Cheers Roadie.

hazard

#17 Post by hazard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Roadie wrote:Yep I can vouch for that, he sounds like 2 Grizzlys having a domestic. Cheers Roadie.
Maybe now they will leave that poor ba$tard alone at Wisemans who sleeps under the verandah! :lol: :lol:

Hazard

Roadie

#18 Post by Roadie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Hazard, No Comment. Cheers Roadie.