Whats the best GPS

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Flatliner

Whats the best GPS

#1 Post by Flatliner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm in the market for a hand held GPS.
I'm finding as I get a little older I can't rely on what were my fully funtional 6 senses (you know what I mean :wink: ) and natural sense of direction. Add to that traveling further afield in more and more unfamiliar country, I resently found my self walking an extra 3-4 Klm simply because it was midday, I was in winding gully country and the scrub I was in was too thick to get an eye on any land marks (not that there were any to see, it was pretty flat for miles around).

So what I want is one thats compact, has easy to navigate menus, easy to read maps, strong signal (for the thick scrub), able to take a knock, cook a good meal and is good in bed.

BTW the last two items were a joke :confused: (in case they are available features,,,, you never know these days)

So give me your opinions please, cause I'm completely ignorant on the mater.

Oh yeah, and quality is more important than money.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

matt61

Re: Whats the best GPS

#2 Post by matt61 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Garmin Etrex,brilliant and easy to use and cheap.

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:10 am

If I was looking to buy a replacement now I would go either the Garmin 62s or the Garmin etrex30. Other good models by Garmin too, like the oregon and dakota but they are touch screen and for me that isn't a selling feature.
With the Garmin units you can get Garmin or Hema maps (cost dollars) or various free maps, and you can make your own using GoogleMaps or GoogleEarth or indeed any scanned map you want. DPI in Victoria even give you access to all their deer hunting maps free of charge.
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/game-hunting/ ... n-victoria
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:18 am

Garmin GPSmap 76Cx, Hand held and I also have it hard wired to the Ute. Brilliant, also have it set up and hard wired to plug into the Laptop in the Ute. Cheers Roadie.

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 am

The 76 series was discontinued July 2010
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

kerrille

#6 Post by kerrille » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 am

i find my phone works as good as anything out there now ,it dose everything a gps can do.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Fraser

#7 Post by Fraser » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:42 am

I've got both a garmin etrex and a lawrance efinder, the garmin is much easier to use and is quite robust, mine has been drowned, pulled apart to dry out, put back together again, and still works like new.

Fraser

jindydiver

#8 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 am

kerrille wrote:i find my phone works as good as anything out there now ,it dose everything a gps can do.

...nev...
Can your phone use maps you find on the internet? Maps you make yourself? Maps provided by government departments (Game Council for instance) ? Can you project waypoints? Can you download tracks and waypoints to your PC and view track profiles and waypoint info (time, elevation etc')? Is your phone waterproof to IPX7. Does it have an electronic compass, area calculation, turn by turn routing? Does it use commonly found batteries so you can carry cheap spares for multi day trips?

You might like your phone, lots of people do, and it might do everything you want it to, but I am certain it cannot do everything a gps can do.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Roadie

#9 Post by Roadie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 am

The 76 series may be discountinued, but it still works for me,
Also what is wrong with learning how to use a COMPASS and maps.
We are starting to rely to much on electronic gadgets, which are prone to Failure at the wrong moment.
At least with a compass and map you have a backup system, and they arn't all that bulky. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 am

Re your post roadie there was an article in the paper here recently, how the young uns today are losing the ability to find places by their own devices rather than relying on tech gear. By no means am I saying we shouldn't have this gear and I for one would love a gps, but total reliance on such leaves one very vulnerable. It has been likened to following a set of tail lights as guidance through unfamiliar territory and having the lights go out. Where then? still love one for hunting just the same! :mrgreen:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 am

yes it can it has a garmin ap on it and dose everything my gps dose

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 am

Roadie wrote:The 76 series may be discountinued, but it still works for me,
I am sure it does, they are a great unit, but the OP was looking for a new unit to buy now

Roadie wrote:Also what is wrong with learning how to use a COMPASS and maps.
Absolutely nothing, in fact it is a must, but it isn't what the thread is about. It is common though that every time someone asks about a gps someone else always makes a comment like yours. Why assume the guy doesn't know how to navigate with a map and compass?
Roadie wrote: We are starting to rely to much on electronic gadgets, which are prone to Failure at the wrong moment.
At least with a compass and map you have a backup system, and they arn't all that bulky. Cheers Roadie.
Did the OP say he was replacing his map and compass? How is it people always assume a question about a gps means people will throw their map and compass away and "rely" on the gps? I use a gps every single hunt, I also carry a laminated map and a compass on every single hunt, and I assume that most responsible hunters are similarly equipped when they go out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying an extra tool that you find useful, you carry your 76, did you give up on your map and compass?
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

jindydiver

#13 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:42 am

kerrille wrote:yes it can it has a garmin ap on it and dose everything my gps dose

...nev...
Garmin streetpilot?
Great program but it doesn't have all the capabilities of the Garmin GPS units (unless things have changed very recently). What programs on your PC can you upload and download (share) trackpoints and custom maps with?
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Mick a question for you, What Map datum are you using, also do you use Lattitude & Longitude, or are you using Northing & Easting cords. Just curious. Cheers Roadie.

Flatliner

#15 Post by Flatliner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Wow, I feel like i've opened a pandora's box with this one,,,,,(nobody expects the spanish inquisition).
I didn't intend to start a heated debate, just wanted to hear what people thought were the best units available.
I will definitely still take my maps and compass, which untill lately were my back up when my God given senses failed me. The GPS would be used as a back up and plotter for points of interest.

It seems to me the overall consensus is that Garman is the best brand, I like the multiple map options.
Has any one got anything to say about the other brands available?

I was shown one yesterday that has a vidio/camera in it that you can take photos with that can be marked as way points on your route, can't remember the brand at the moment.

I agree with jindydiver that a touch screen is not a good idea, imagine what the screen would look like after a hard slog though the swamps and bull dust that we hunt.
The phones not an option, I don't want to be reminded about work and the problems that go with it when I'm in the bush, and I can just picture myself lining up a nice shot on a chital stag and getting a call from some one wanting to talk about which tiles they want in their bathroom :x .

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Rob.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

jindydiver

#16 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Flatliner wrote: I didn't intend to start a heated debate
Zero heat here mate

A good buy for you :smile:

http://www.bowhunting-forum.com/showthr ... rex-30-GPS

Roadie wrote:Mick a question for you, What Map datum are you using, also do you use Lattitude & Longitude, or are you using Northing & Easting cords. Just curious. Cheers Roadie.
my gps datum is set to whatever is required for the paper map I am carrying. I never use Lat/Long unless I am sailing at sea, all my land based navigation is in UTM (because all my maps are).
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Roadie

#17 Post by Roadie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks. Roadie.

alaninoz

#18 Post by alaninoz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

It all depends on what you need or want. Maps, colour, touch screen, whatever. As you add features you go up in price, but don't necessarily add accuracy, and if you don't need the features you're wasting money.

My current bush unit is a Garmin GPS60 - like the 76 it's now discontinued - and about the only thing I'd add to it is the ability to use the GLONASS and Galileo satellites as well as the GPS ones.

If I was looking to buy another bush unit now it would probably be the Garmin eTrex 10. It's a basic unit - black and white, no maps, no touch screen - but it's got good battery life and all the features I'd need to get me back to camp.

I'm not a big fan of maps on hand-held GPS as they generally don't provide enough information to be useful to me - well the info might be there, but the screen isn't big enough to display all that I want and scrolling around is a PITA. I'd rather cross reference between a real map and the GPS. That's just me though.
Alan

Flatliner

#19 Post by Flatliner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks Alan, good info mate.

Thanks for the info and the lead Mick, I've messaged him to say I will buy it if it's still available, hope so it's right in the ball park.

Cheers, Rob.
Last edited by Flatliner on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Fanto

#20 Post by Fanto » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Garmin anything.

Ive just got a gpsmap72.

Magellans et al have always been harder to drive

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Flatliner

#21 Post by Flatliner » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks guys, I've bought the Etrex 30. Good call Mick

Rob.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

jindydiver

#22 Post by jindydiver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 am

Now we just have to get you started on maps.
This is the place to get tech info on maps, where to get them and how to install them. Just don't ask for free copies of commercial products or you will get the boot quick smart.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/content.php
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Flatliner

#23 Post by Flatliner » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the link Mick, I'll have a look around the site and see how I go. Not being a tech-head do you mind if I pick your brains occasionaly? You seem to have a good grip on the matter.

Rob.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

jonow

#24 Post by jonow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I know you have already bought your GPS but for the sake of others reading.
I have an iPhone 4 that has ok maps, but the battery only lasts me around 3 hrs walking around. F your out all day or a longer trip where you can't recharge it's all over pretty quick.
So i bought a Garmin gpsmap 62s and have been happy with it thus far. Battery life is 20 hrs and uses AA so I just carry a spare set just in case.
Also better maps are available for this unit in better scales for walking than the iPhone maps.
gpsoz.com.au also has some pretty good detailed maps, at a price but people rate them pretty well.

Jono
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

slayer

#25 Post by slayer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:24 pm

I use a garmin etrek myself but Allways carry a topographic map as well.i have found even the best high tech equipment can fail and it can be more reliable to have this hands on orientering experience. I personally think that we can get complacent too easy with tecknology these days and anyone going into the bush should have some sort of navigational knowledge of there own!

Roadie

#26 Post by Roadie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 am

Ay Slayer, I agree with you. Cheers Roadie.

Slackshot

#27 Post by Slackshot » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 pm

I use a Magellan,,,interestin owned by the Chinese yet all the maps(downloads)are done by guess who the Russians.Yep if we get invaded they know every water hole every track and i mean every thing ,,But if you want one i can sell you top of the wozza for just over half price new !!!!Why you ask cause my young bloke is the Sth/Pac/NZ/Aus logistics manager.610/or 710
Slackshot aka Gary Case