War of Arrows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

War of Arrows

#1 Post by Buranurra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi all,

I watched this movie last night and found it to be excellent. A Korean archer battles Manchurian raiders to save his people. Very well made and great action sequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDyIjb272kU

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Blinkybill

Re: War of Arrows

#2 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I read a review about that movie just the other night! It looks pretty cool.. Can you rent it out from the video store??

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

perry

#3 Post by perry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 pm

The Trailer looks Great, wonder if every Arrow Shoot and every exiting scene was played out in it - I hate that ! I'm keen to see it

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 pm

:surprised: Wow I'm keen also, so where do we get it... :?: :?:

Buranurra

#5 Post by Buranurra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 pm

HI All

It just came in to VideoEzy - it has a major release and is listed in their magazine so it should be available at most video shops, my store is pretty crap but even they had it.

Cheers

Jase

Buranurra

#6 Post by Buranurra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 pm

perry wrote:The Trailer looks Great, wonder if every Arrow Shoot and every exiting scene was played out in it - I hate that ! I'm keen to see it

regards Jacko
You wont be disappointed mate, it is pretty well 2 hours of non stop archery.

Cheers

JAse

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Bill » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 am

:smile:Hi Jase, thanks for that, I will look out for it next time I'm in town.......

flyne

#8 Post by flyne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Looks pritty good what language is it in
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

perry

#9 Post by perry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I've had a little bit of Cash burning a Hole in my Pocket [ it's Pay Week ] and in my Travels with Work I walk past Sanity Music at Toombul Shopping Centre on my way to pick up a Customers Mail. I asked the Sales assistant if he had heard of "War of the Arrows" , he goes to the next Isle and gets me the last in Store Copy, only $24.95. The Movies in Korean but has English Subtitles. Works for me as my hearing is degenerating so badly I need Sub Titles with English Movies. I'll watch it soon as the Family have finished watching their Teli for the Night

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Buranurra

#10 Post by Buranurra » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Excellent - I will look forward to hearing your thoughts.

perry

#11 Post by perry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Top Movie, thoughly enjoyed it. Will become a fast favourite. Would have been Cool on the Big Screen

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Buranurra

#12 Post by Buranurra » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Am glad you enjoyed it. Plenty of archery hey?

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 am

Looks good.....

perry

#14 Post by perry » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 am

Yes Jase, I say more Arrows than I have ever seen shot in a Film, close ups of the equipment etc and the Actors seemed to know one end from the other also. If one was prepared to get Technical you could knock a Star or 2 off and Korean special effects - ie the Siberian Tiger are not as good as we have grown used too but I immerced myself in the Action and thoughly enjoyed it.

I have plans for a Manchurian Quiver, almost inspired enough to go make one :biggrin:

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Bill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am

:?: Question, Perry may be the one to answer this, in the video clip, "what's with the twisting of string when drawing", is he using a thumb ring, or giving the string a bit more torque for more power, very strange, for one who hasn't seen it before,

Buranurra

#16 Post by Buranurra » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 am

Bill wrote::?: Question, Perry may be the one to answer this, in the video clip, "what's with the twisting of string when drawing", is he using a thumb ring, or giving the string a bit more torque for more power, very strange, for one who hasn't seen it before,
I think you will need to watch the vid as it is a "special" skill I think and best not to spoil parts of the story.

Buranurra

#17 Post by Buranurra » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:45 am

perry wrote:Yes Jase, I say more Arrows than I have ever seen shot in a Film, close ups of the equipment etc and the Actors seemed to know one end from the other also. If one was prepared to get Technical you could knock a Star or 2 off and Korean special effects - ie the Siberian Tiger are not as good as we have grown used too but I immerced myself in the Action and thoughly enjoyed it.

I have plans for a Manchurian Quiver, almost inspired enough to go make one :biggrin:

regards Jacko

Yeah the Tiger wasn't perfect but a hell of a lot better than all but the big budget Hollywood films. The Manchurian quiver was cool for sure.

perry

#18 Post by perry » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Bill you really need to watch the Movie, sorry Mate but it's part of the Story. I'm going to watch it again Tonight just to make sure I pick up on everything. Like I inferred earlier there is a Sprinkling of the Koreon version of Hollywood Licence

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Bill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:41 pm

:smile: Ok, I've watched this movie, :surprised: ......had to pause and rewind it a few times to catch up in reading the subtitles they were fast ( or maybe it's that I'm slow) and slow down some of the action. :smile: :smile: It is very entertaining. The action, and the stunts were well done, I also will be watching it again to see those little bits that I may have missed. Still have a lot to learn about the shooting of the shortened arrows, along with the twisting of the string, power inducing; :?: :?: ..........what poundage are these bows at, and whats with the big flat head :?: ( looks more like something I would use in woodworking class.) I love the little broadheads, I think I will try and make a couple midweek, it will be fun. Thanks boys............

kerrille

#20 Post by kerrille » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:59 pm

ive downloaded it ,im going to watch it tonight.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Buranurra

#21 Post by Buranurra » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Bill wrote::smile: Ok, I've watched this movie, :surprised: ......had to pause and rewind it a few times to catch up in reading the subtitles they were fast ( or maybe it's that I'm slow) and slow down some of the action. :smile: :smile: It is very entertaining. The action, and the stunts were well done, I also will be watching it again to see those little bits that I may have missed. Still have a lot to learn about the shooting of the shortened arrows, along with the twisting of the string, power inducing; :?: :?: ..........what poundage are these bows at, and whats with the big flat head :?: ( looks more like something I would use in woodworking class.) I love the little broadheads, I think I will try and make a couple midweek, it will be fun. Thanks boys............

Glad you enjoyed it, the dialogue and subsequent subtitles were quite fast in some stages, so it wasn't you. THe broadhead you are talking about is sometimes called a crescent broadhead or a rope-cutter - they are readily available for purchase.

perry

#22 Post by perry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 am

Bill don't dwell too much on the String Twisting bit, all about making Arrows fly around corners, Rubbish and in reality would create all sorts of torque induced issues - just Hollywood Licence. Then again I know Blokes that can get their Arrows to hit Targets hidden behind objects that completly obscure them without Mystical Twisting of the String :lol: :lol: :lol: Try inducing torque deliberatly to your string and watch how the Arrow reacts, intertesting.

Here's a Link that has been posted before. It features a demonstration on how to use the overdraw device used in the Movie about 1/2 way through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSjn-6r ... ure=relmfu

I just finished reading a "Warriors of the Steppe" which is a 3500 year Military History of the Eurasian Steppe Nomads and one chapter described one use of those Short Arrows as Harrasing Fire, shooting them from extended Range into Enemy encampments and Seiges at all times of Day and Night . I'd imagine it could have been handy for returning the light Crossbow Bolts the Chinese used with there repeating Crossbows but this is pure speculation

I would imagine any Bow capable of propelling an Arrow with as much mass as the Cresent Shaped Arrow the Baddy was using to such effect would have been very heavy indeed. Again Hollywood Licence but very entertaining. I know 9/10ths of nothing about Korean Archery but I am reasonably sure they have Competitions where they shoot at Targets 200 yards away as shown in the Scene where the Children first arrive at the new Villiage

Perhaps a half pound of Iron up front of an Arrow is possible, How much did some of the Arrowheads weigh that the English used ?? I've got some reproductions that top 350 grains

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

kerrille

#23 Post by kerrille » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 pm

i watched it last night ,it was a dubbed in english version and was pretty good ,i never take to much notice of what the asian movies do ,i just love the action ,plus i want the maille shirts of the baddies ,i wonder after watching this how many people are going to go out and try and twist their strings to try and shoot around corners .

....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Perry;
I have plans for a Manchurian Quiver, almost inspired enough to go make one:
So which Quiver is it 1,2 or 3.
I like No. 2

The pointed broadhead I think I'll have a go at making a couple.
The other looks as if, I take a field point or piece of tube, grind off the tip and weld on a flat piece, shape it, it should be easy.

what do you think??
Attachments
Quivers & B'Heads.JPG
Quivers & B'Heads.JPG (153.39 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

SoulArcher

#25 Post by SoulArcher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 pm

It was a great movie! I mean the story is like usual for these type of movies but great action and use of the chinese and korean bows. What was it that he did with the bamboo shoot and the half arrow? I didnt get that part.
Soul Archer
Mattia Fracassini
http://www.traditional-archery.com.au

Buranurra

#26 Post by Buranurra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 pm

SoulArcher wrote:It was a great movie! I mean the story is like usual for these type of movies but great action and use of the chinese and korean bows. What was it that he did with the bamboo shoot and the half arrow? I didnt get that part.
Jacko reposted this link above it will explain the device that allows you to shoot shorter arrows, so they can't be fired back at you

SoulArcher

#27 Post by SoulArcher » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Buranurra wrote:
SoulArcher wrote:It was a great movie! I mean the story is like usual for these type of movies but great action and use of the chinese and korean bows. What was it that he did with the bamboo shoot and the half arrow? I didnt get that part.
Jacko reposted this link above it will explain the device that allows you to shoot shorter arrows, so they can't be fired back at you

Ah makes sense now. Thanks for that!
Soul Archer
Mattia Fracassini
http://www.traditional-archery.com.au

perry

#28 Post by perry » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Bill, no 1 Mate. I notice that Ali Express http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fully-Ha ... 01532.html has them listed for sale for about the price the Leather alone retails for. Pretty sure I've seen them listed on EBay also

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#29 Post by Bill » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:32 pm

:surprised: Did anyone notice this, an arrow flying past at the two swords againt one fight scene at the river in the movie..........
Attachments
the arrow during the fight.JPG
the arrow during the fight.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

perry

#30 Post by perry » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 am

Bill wrote::smile: Ok, I've watched this movie, :surprised: ......had to pause and rewind it a few times to catch up in reading the subtitles they were fast ( or maybe it's that I'm slow) and slow down some of the action. :smile: :smile: It is very entertaining. The action, and the stunts were well done, I also will be watching it again to see those little bits that I may have missed. Still have a lot to learn about the shooting of the shortened arrows, along with the twisting of the string, power inducing; :?: :?: ..........what poundage are these bows at, and whats with the big flat head :?: ( looks more like something I would use in woodworking class.) I love the little broadheads, I think I will try and make a couple midweek, it will be fun. Thanks boys............
Bill I gotta eat Humble Pie when I answered previously that I thought the String Twisting bit in the Movie was Rubbish, seems it is NOT.
I have just finished reading a Book by Adam Swoboda called The Art of Shooting the Short Reflexed Bow [ with a Thumb Ring ] The exact wording on page 123 of this Book is as follows

12.3 Techniques with a Twist

12.3.1 The Techniques of Twisting the Bowstring before Shooting

After drawing the Arrow to it's full length, exert pressure on the Bowstring with the base of the Index Finger and turn the Bowstring together with the Arrow toward the Bow. The extent ofthis Twist is connected with the placement of the Index Finger in relation to the Bowstring and this extent will depend on the Archers individual preferences and his / her individual technique.

Turning the Bowstring will certainly make it easier to hold the Arrow at the Grip. It also means the Lock itself is more secure. It is important to realise however, that this Technique reduces the tendancy of the Arrow to veer to the Right. This phenonomen becomes even more marked with Bows that do not have a neck on the Handle, or with very short Bows such as Turkish ones. The Harder you Twist the Bowstring, the more the Arrow will veer to the left

A very strong Twist of the Bowstring results in excessive curving of the Arrow -------- the chapter continues

What can I say :shock: :idea: The Writers of this Movie obviously consulted extensively with or where experienced Korean Style Archers

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin