timber liquor barrels

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

timber liquor barrels

#1 Post by bear74 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 am

Hey Fellas,
does anyone know of a suitable substitute for american or french oak in australian timber for making barrels for storing the likes of whisky or rum in? I would like a barrel to put some whisky in made from aussie timber that may impart it's own flavour into the liquor. it's for a birthday present for my old boy.

Bear
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

longbowinfected

Re: timber liquor barrels

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 am

Silky Mountain Ash Orites excelsa or commonly known as Prickly Ash is listed as suitable for cooperage in Bootle.
If you go to page 373 in Bootle it lists for:
heads- miva mahogany, satinay, yellowwood, WA sheoak
staves- WA sheoak, kauri, tulip oak, black wood, yellowwood, messmate
bungs- white beech, southern sassafras, myrtle beech, celery-top pine
shives- white beech, bollywood

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

bear74

#3 Post by bear74 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

cheers mate

Slackshot

#4 Post by Slackshot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 pm

I guess eaucalypts is a no no then :lol: :lol:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

bear74

#5 Post by bear74 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Slackshot wrote:I guess eaucalypts is a no no then :lol: :lol:
it's bad enough in cough lollies and ointments, I dont think them flavours imparted on my rum or whiskey would be palatable :lol: though it may stop people from pilfering my supply :idea:

Dennis La Varenne

#6 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Bear,

I would be surprised if all the traditional woods used in cooperage did not impart something to the flavour as in the case of the wines where the wood flavour is well regarded.

There are over 370 species of eucalyptus in Australia, so it would be a bit premature to presume they all have a single 'flavour' I think, let alone that of the eucalyptus flavour which only occurs in the leaves rather than the wood - at least I cannot remember any eucalyptus flavour when I have sucked on a bit of eucalyptus wood.

My guess is that it would be a case of what flavour-effect the wood had on the spirit and whether it added to the flavour or not.

The usefulness of the wood specie in cooperage staves depends on how well they are able to be heat bent and how well they seal when wet. That would be perhaps the principle property you would need.

If you contact the tourist shop at the Bundaberg distillery (if it is still there), perhaps they may be a source.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Nutgrass

#7 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

I am pretty sure American white oak is what the Bundaberg Rum vats are made from (I have a 4 litre keg made from an old decommissioned one)

But the Bundaberg Red rum is filtered with Red gum ?? So I don't know how many types of red gum there are, but I guess that is an option.

As for the flavour, I usually store all my rum in my keg, itreally smooths it right out 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

bear74

#8 Post by bear74 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 am

cheers dennis and nutgrass, a bit more research and phone calls on order

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 am

The various true Oaks [Quercus are used all around the world. You did ask about Australian Native. My list dealt with timber available in Australia and not all of them would be easy to get. Oak was also a good ship building timber.
Australian Softwoods such as Celery top Pine and Huon Pine whilst rare and expensive are great at withstanding moisture, are used for bathroom , kitchen fixtures/kit as well as in ship building for exotic, expensive builds.
I did not check their other properties though.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.