The late great Dallas Conway.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Frisky

The late great Dallas Conway.

#1 Post by Frisky » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi folks! I'm a Minnesota bowhunter who enjoyed articles written by Dallas Conway back in the 70s. I've asked about Dallas in several forums over the last few years and received informative replies. However, this is probably the forum I should have asked at, as some of you might have hunted with him! Any stories or information you'd like to share would be appreciated. He was quite a bowhunter. In January, his daughter needed information and wanted to get ahold of me but left an inoperable email over on the Leatherwall site. Anyway, this is a nice place to have found!

Joe

Gringa Bows

Re: The late great Dallas Conway.

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Welcome mate :biggrin:

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:02 pm

I never met Dallas Conway but a Mate of mine was great mates with him and has told me many stories of the good times they had. Next time I see my Mate I will ask him if he would contribute. He is not a Ozbow Forum member. Welcome to the Forum by the way

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Frisky

#4 Post by Frisky » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:27 am

G'Day folks and thank you for the warm welcome! Perry, if you can get your mate to contribute, it would make for great reading!

Oh, I started shooting in 1968 and took my first deer, with a Bear 76er, when I was 15 in 1975'. That's about the time Dallas Conway articles in several U.S. magazines really inspired me. He wrote articles on goat and boar hunting. He hunted that extinct volcano north of Sydney.

I'm a ground hunter and use a Bob Savage Deathmaster recurve built by Jeffery Archery in 83'. I also shoot a 95' Howatt Hunter.

Joe

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 am

Joe here is a link to the Australian Archery Hall of Fame, if you can not get info and stories here perhaps someone there could help. I did a search and found that you have asked this question over on the Australian Bowhunters Forum some time ago. I have included a link in the hope it will prompt some Folks who may be a little Shy and a link in regards to his Book

http://www.aahofm.org.au/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=68

http://www.bowhunters.org.au/forum/view ... =42&t=1221

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/9601838?q= ... %22&c=book

I will Ring my Mate today and see if I can convince him to contribute, he is a Techno Phobe though

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Frisky

#6 Post by Frisky » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Perry. Usually, someone comes out of the woodwork and tells us a story. I just think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame and not just in their profile section.

Joe

toz

#7 Post by toz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 pm

you may try darren or michael head who went to school in wellington nsw. check wellington high school around 1980. I was in darrens ( i think) class and he claimed to be dallas' son,dont know the truth of it but he had no reason to lie to me about it way back then.

Frisky

#8 Post by Frisky » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:29 am

This is interesting in that some people claim Dallas went under the name Darrell Head. Others say they knew him all of his life and he was always Dallas Conway.

Joe

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:44 pm

I only knew of him from a distance by reading his poems, cartoons and hunting articles in the 'Australian Bowhunter' I think it was called. The forerunner of Archery Action mag anyway.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

danceswithdingoes

#10 Post by danceswithdingoes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Dave Whiting is from that area, he would be worth contacting.
ImageImage

Frisky

#11 Post by Frisky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:06 am

Good advice. I hear his name often.

Joe