Now I know people dont like crossbows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hazard

Re: Now I know people dont like crossbows

#31 Post by hazard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 am

Dennis La Varénne wrote:I like 'em too and always have. I had one when I lived in Victoria - one of John Clark's 'Cressy' models, but could not bring it across the border into NSW because this state has had a ban on them ever since I was a kid and pretty much still has (but I am working on them). Like most here, I have never understood the antipathy. For too long, most of the clubs (but not all) within the archery organizations and especially ABA would not tolerate them. For too long, they could be bought by underage youths with nowhere to go to learn to use them properly and safely and the inevitable misuse occurred.

The tail chasing always ensured from the major archery organizations whereby they denied their involvement with them and expounded their antipathy toward them so that they would not have to wear any of the mud from misuse, the result of which can very squarely be laid at their feet as directly culpable for that misuse. And so, misuse continued, denials ensued and so it went round until legislators started banning them as silent long range weapons of assassins and other such rot.

Victoria quite recently has relaxed its laws to the point that one only need to be a paid up member of a recognised archery or hunting organization, and that it must be rendered inoperable when not in use OR stored in a gunsafe if it cannot. The previous licensing system has been dispensed with. There is also an age limit as well or underage persons must use one under the direct supervision of an adult. They have always been legal for hunting Deer and any pest animals in Victoria.

NSW, the only state which still believes that it is a penal settlement, remains in the dark ages.

I thought originally that it would be a good thing to have one for my old age when drawing a conventional bow got more difficult, but crossbows are much more difficult to span if you don't have the right equipment. They need to be about twice the draw weight to get the same ballistics as a conventional bow with a similar mass arrow because of the short prod and very short power stroke.

My preference is for the ancient kind like the Skåne lockbow design which has a pin system which disengages the spanned string. It is VERY primitive compared to the later nut mechanism, but these bows can be easily made by the homecrafter as an all wood project. Here are some pics from the PaleoPlanet site in the US. This is a very attractive bow.
2.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
To shoot it (bows are NEVER fired - only guns are fired), the string is spanned to drop into the notch in the tiller and the tickler (under lever) pushes a dowel pin up against the string to push it out of the notch, whereupon, the string strikes the butt of the bolt and propels it forward along the 'V' groove - very simple indeed.

Both the prod and the tickler are tied to the tiller with a system known as a bridle - again very simple and effective. The prod is set into the tiller at a slightly forward tilting angle so that the string has minimum friction contact with the upper surface of the tiller as it moves forward. This slight angling of the prod can just be made out in Pic 4 above. The angle is worked out by checking how the string on a braced prod contacts the tiller when it is in position. Then the angle of the notch for the prod is created so that the string of the braced prod is barely in contact with the tiller surface. This may seem to want to induce some kind of rotational twisting of the prod, but using something akin to pin nocks on the prod allow the string loops to rotate on the nock pins as the string moves backward and forward thus preventing twisting. Very simple and ingenious.

Neither is there usually a stirrup on this more ancient design, but it is not unheard of even in contemporary times. Spanning was usually achieved by placing both feet on the prod on either side of the tiller and drawing back the string. As in ancient times and akin to this particular crossbow, the prods were commonly protected in the mid-section by a leather wrapping which provided placements for the feet during spanning.

These crossbows were used mostly by peasants and commonly used for hunting. They were usually not of the massive draw weights required for military use and did not need to be.
I relate to your dismay at the "Lack of intestinal fortitude" displayed by said Archery organizations. The pathetic responses you appear to have suffered I can only imagine. My encounters of politics of this kind never seemed to be fair or anything less than a "Knee jerk reaction" I must say is the weakest and most pathetic form of side step. These "Politicians" shame the very name of 'Archery".

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 am

excelpoint wrote:They are great fun Troy :)

Got to have a play with one when I was in the US
Chase N. Nocks wrote:This is what I would like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg

but this one is pretty cool as well (and more likely)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KleCswrGk

Cheers
Troy

Like I said, I am a ho for anything that shoots.
That thing just about makes me want to puke! :roll: :confused:

Jeff

excelpoint

#33 Post by excelpoint » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:38 am

Certainly not the prettiest but damm good fun. Even all the trad hunters in our camp loved it :)

Chase N. Nocks

#34 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:45 pm

excelpoint wrote:Certainly not the prettiest but damn good fun. Even all the trad hunters in our camp loved it :)
Matt,

I've see prettier crossbows for sure but is does definitely have the whole TACTI-COOL thing going for it.

It is very long but if I remember the you tube clip it shoots almost full length arrows (26.5 inch??)

Many years ago I owned one of the break action crossbows - The Commando which was made by Barnett.

Also have to agree with the blame and stupid attitudes by Archery Associations in Australia in their failures and negativity to crossbows.

Not a fan of the stocks of the medieval type crossbows but the trigger mechanism of the crossbow that Dennis shows is just beautiful in its simplicity.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Dennis La Varenne

#35 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Troy,

Bit space age for me old son and crossbows don't have stocks - they have tillers.

They were shot with the tiller's butt end either against the shoulder or on top of it. Depending upon the length of the tiller, sometimes they were shot with the whole thing just held off the shoulder freee-floating and lining the bolt up as some people look along an arrow on a vertical bow. They were the high precision weapons of their day - far more accurate at long range than longbows for picking off nominated targets, but much slower to action than longbows of course. They were far better ambush weapons because they could be shot from prone concealment.

That old Skåne design was really a peasants crossbow from around the 9th century and later which did end up in military use. Their tillers were first used on the earliest 'hand gonnes' and because of the later Germanic influence in gunmaking at which they became expert, we adopted their word for the handle part of the gonne which was and still is 'Stock' meaning stick or length of wood. The word 'stock' did not come into use until the firearms age. It was never used in regard to crossbows.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

perry

#36 Post by perry » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Troy the Medivel Crossbow Stock Design plus a few hundred years is just about perfect IMO. Forget any familiarity you have with Firearm Stocks. They are entirely different Beasts. A Crossbow does not Recoil as a Firarm does. They behave in an entirely different manor.

Many of the Medievel type Crossbow Stocks sit on top of your Shoulder, this puts your Eye on the same plain as the Bolt. You need to be accutely aware of the Arched Trajectory with Crossbows, even the more modern designs so you can make corrections to your Elevation and Windage. A Firearm type stock on a Crossbow puts your face too low to fully appreciate this. What happens when you lower your head when you shoot your Bow, your Form goes to pooh pooh. Stand up taller and you will acheive better alignment and shoot better. Absolutely the same thing with a Crossbow.

I have seen pictures of People shooting a Crossbow whilst riding a Horse, they tucked the Medievel type Stock under their Arm to hold it steady. It is a very adaptable design

The first Crosbows I made with a Firearms type stock, then I made them with exagerated Combs to lift my head, still no good. Then I commisioned Cliff's son to make me an Authentic Rotating Nut Trigger Mechanism and fit it to a Medievel Stock of Yellow Heart. I bound in a 150# Fibreglass Prod in the period correct manor. I had a bit of an Ah Ha moment the first time I shot this Crossbow, no sights and because my Eye was in the same plain as the Bolts I could shoot it Accurately Barebow.

From then on I began to design a Stock that suited my needs perfectly. Similar to the one Dennis posted but with a shallow Hook at the end of the Stock that placed it on top of my Shoulder in exactly the same place time after time. I copied a more Modern Design with a removable section that clamped a Wedge in place to hold the Prod in place, this allowed easy T/D and storage. I fitted either a Modern aftermarket trigger assembly or made my own from Steel, copied from a 220BC Chinese Lock. It is perfectly possible to shoot without sights in exactly the same way you shoot a Bow with the Medievel type stock placed on top of your Shoulder, try that with a Firearms type stock with your head lower to it, won't happen !! I did make my own Multipin Front and Rear Peep Sights which worked very well in conjunction with the Medievel type on top of Shoulder Stock.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Dennis La Varenne

#37 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:15 am

Have a look at this interesting variation on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wood-Cr ... 500wt_1413
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

Dennis La Varenne

#38 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Sorry, John. This thread has gotten away somewhat from your original thread.

Here is another crossbow design ostensibly from Thailand and used for shooting small game according to the eBay ad where I noticed it. What intrigues me is the operation of the string release based on a trigger mechanism. Because the traction from the spanned string is forwards, how would the trigger mechanism shown actually hold it back. My guess is that (see Thai crossbow_small game_9.jpg LHS below) that when the bow is spanned, the string sits in the little saddle on top of the trigger which then lifts the string up enough that it can jump forward over the top of the notch as the trigger is pulled back. The trigger is pinned in place with what looks like a nail in the RHS pic 9. The width of the trigger slot, particularly how far it limits the rearward movement of the trigger, is possibly designed to allow just the right amount of lift on the string to allow it to jump out of the spanning notch.

If my surmise is correct, this is an even simpler mechanism than the Skåne system, albeit, I doubt it would have sufficient leverage to work on a high draw weight crossbow because of the limited leverage from the short trigger.

Note also that the groove for the bolt does not go right back to the string notch. Apparently this design relies upon the string gaining a lot of forward momentum BEFORE it strikes the butt of the bolt which is quite contrary to European practice. The power stroke is very short indeed, perhaps only 6 or 7 inches at most. The depth of the tiller below the prod where it is supported during shooting suggests that the butt of the tiller was sat atop the shoulder rather than against it so the eye could look along the bolt without having to duck the head down much at all as Perry suggested in his earlier post.

The tiller is fairly conventional in shape, but the mounting of the prod is quite different to the European method. How it remains central to the tiller is not clear from the pictures and there is a great deal of slop for the prod to rotate to some degree in its slot as the string moves forward atop the tiller. The last pair of pics are of the nose and the butt of the tiller.

Of note is that the cross-section of the (bamboo???) prod is that it is D-shaped with the flat side on the compression side which shows that these people know a thing or two about bows. It is difficult to see, but I think that the outer rind is on the back of the prod, so the maker has compensated for the high tension strength of bamboo by making the belly very flat and wider than the back.
Thai crossbow_small game_1.jpg
Thai crossbow_small game_1.jpg (191.71 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Thai crossbow_small game_3.jpg
Thai crossbow_small game_3.jpg (169.1 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Thai crossbow_small game_7.jpg
Thai crossbow_small game_7.jpg (294.42 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Thai crossbow_small game_9.jpg
Thai crossbow_small game_9.jpg (254.81 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Thai crossbow_small game_11.jpg
Thai crossbow_small game_11.jpg (251.8 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Dennis La Varénne

Chase N. Nocks

#39 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

G'day Dennis,

Funny that you posted this today as John Wayne's "The Green Berets" was on yesterday afternoon and there was a scene with what I assume were the Montagnards (I was only half watching the movie) running around with crossbows.

Then you posted this this morning and straight away I thought of those bows. Instantly recognizable. You do get to see them in exaggerated action, but again I was glancing at the TV will doing other things.

Of course when I googled Montagnard Crossbows there was a wide spectrum of "stock" styles which is normal for societies that use what they can as well as find themselves on the fringes of dealing with industrially more complex societies.

The trigger system and the "pre-launch gap" were still apparent.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Buranurra

#40 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:46 pm

How bout this one fellas?

This is a plain munitions grade late 14thC. war bow

Bow features:

Hand forged bow dressed as a composite
Linen string
Steel nut and side plates
Oiled ash stock
Sprung trigger
Front reinforcement pin

250- 300lb draw
Attachments
ts_img_late-14thc-warbow_composite_500x363.jpeg
ts_img_late-14thc-warbow_composite_500x363.jpeg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Buranurra

#41 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Toward the end of the 15thC. a number of spectacular hunting bows were made with heavily carved bone or ivory covered stocks and usually composite bows.
They are usually associated with Germany, and Bavaria in particular.

This crossbow is based on A1032 in the Wallace Collection, London which has sustained damage during its life and the original bow was replaced fairly early on with a parchment covered steel bow.

The reproduction has a steel bow of about 450lb, covered in parchment and painted.The string is waxed linen, the bindings are hemp with a woven leather cover.

The stock is ash covered in ox bone, the nut is old ivory and the clip is antler.

The carving is fairly faithfully reproduced and is an allegory about St George and the Dragon interspersed with hunting scenes.

There was not an original cranequin associated with the bow so an etched late 15thC cranequin was supplied.
Attachments
ts_img-bavarian-hunting-crossbow_400x246.jpg
ts_img-bavarian-hunting-crossbow_400x246.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
ts_img_bavarian-hunting-crossbow-cranequin_600x340.jpg
ts_img_bavarian-hunting-crossbow-cranequin_600x340.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
ts_img_bavarian-hunting-crossbow_rght34_400x223.jpg
ts_img_bavarian-hunting-crossbow_rght34_400x223.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

looseplucker

#42 Post by looseplucker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Sorry, John. This thread has gotten away somewhat from your original thread.
It hasnt actually Dennis - people who do appreciate them have posted and look at some of the older stuff in pictures that people have come up with - so we start with a semi auto electric loaded one and end up with the old fashioned bustagut or lever loading system ones with a reference to the Montagnard crossbows of the Green Beret's movie fame (I made one of those once - with a very similar release mechanism).

Look like there are a few real connoisseurs out there.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Dennis La Varenne

#43 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 am

Buranurra,

Those bolts in your pic of the late 14th century munitions grade crossbow look just like the one I have here which is 'the real thing' and of exactly the same style with the veneer-thin wood vanes (Mine are parabolic) set in grooves at a helical pitch. Those bolts also have the sides tapered to the butt just like my example. Do you know what the prod is made of? It looks to be covered in plaited leather and by cross-section looks to be a D-section wooden prod.

From that period, they are getting a bit 'high tech' for me - all those nuts and things. For day to day use in hunting and target shooting (if I can ever manage to snag a permit in NSW - the Registry are playing silly buggers with my application) I like the reasonably easy to span pin-discharge of much earlier times like the Skåne lock bow above. But, I have always found them interesting, even the heavy wall-mounted monsters.

The only one I ever owned and found practical for my use was my old Ausbow Industries Cressy about which I did a write-up here on OZBOW some time ago now. It was VERY accurate indeed with a fairly wide range of bolt masses which surprised me. It drew 150lbs at its 12 inch span which about all I could manage without herniating myself. I note in the 2012 Victorian Wildlife (Game) regulations just published that 150lbs using a minimum 400 grain bolt is the minimum allowable for a crossbow for hunting any of the deer species in Victoria. It used to be 70lbs which was a bit on the light side.

I note that your 15th Century Germanic crossbow does not have the track. It has the dovetailed V-block. That was a pretty advanced system and could allow windage adjustment which the groove could not. Being able to move that V-block could also help with slight problems of tillering in the prod if there were any. It was quite clever really.

John,

I am glad you feel that way. I do like talking about them. I consider them as historic and traditional to archery as any long bow variant.
Dennis La Varénne

Buranurra

#44 Post by Buranurra » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:50 am

Hi Dennis,

I must apologise if my posts indicated that I made these. I thought the watermark from maker in the UK was more pronounced. I had them on my computer from my interest in medieval swords and arms . The are made by http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm and more info can be found there.

MyArmoury.com is a forum that has a mass of information on historical arms including crossbows and bows, mostly but not always from Britain and Europe. this is where I first saw the beautiful examples I posted.

Cheers

Jase

looseplucker

#45 Post by looseplucker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm

No worries Dennis - as a matter of fact I am really happy with how the thread is going. I am learning stuff I didn't know before and some real art is coming to the fore.

A closed mind is a waste of time - and I have no time to waste. There's liven' to be done! :biggrin:

Dennis La Varenne

#46 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Buranurra,

I wondered if they were your handiwork or not. I will have a poke around that site too. I have a few on crossbows already if you are interested.

John,

You are a very gracious man. By the way, I have a small order with Rudderbows, but I am seriously thinking of adding a few strips of Hickory backing lams of 1/8 inch thick to the order. Would you be still interested in some if I do?
Dennis La Varénne

Buranurra

#47 Post by Buranurra » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Dennis La Varénne wrote:Buranurra,

I wondered if they were your handiwork or not. I will have a poke around that site too. I have a few on crossbows already if you are interested.

John,

You are a very gracious man. By the way, I have a small order with Rudderbows, but I am seriously thinking of adding a few strips of Hickory backing lams of 1/8 inch thick to the order. Would you be still interested in some if I do?
Hi Dennis

Oh, I wish I had the skills to make items such as these :smile: Yes it would be great to see some of your crossbows. I wouldn't call myself a crossbow aficionado, rather, I recalled that Bavarian from a discussion on ancient arms and was blown away with the quality and thought it would show a great contrast to the high tech tactical one shown. I am interested in all ancient arms stemming from my teaching of the Japanese Sword.

Cheers

Jase

looseplucker

#48 Post by looseplucker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

John,

Shucks :oops: blushing. It is not often a banjo playing lawyer gets called that - very kind of you. Thing is Dennis, this thread has done what it was designed to do - stimulate discussion and see what pops out of the woodwork - and look at some of the stuff we got to see. That is the beauty of Ozbow - thanks to Jeff, you and the others who do the yakka and our mates who pitch in with helpful comment, advice, ideas, experience. If not for this site I would not have learned what I wanted to learn - and moreover what I needed to learn - persistence!!! This thread is on its second page and it has not gone off topic at any stage. Love it.

Hickory? Yes please - put me down for a bit for sure!

RobHunter

#49 Post by RobHunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi all

The semi auto Xbow looks like it needs to be jeep mounted :lol:

Found this while browsing, shame their illegal here

Rob
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.87 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.1 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.41 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

perry

#50 Post by perry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm

I wanted a Pistol Crossbow but as they where Illegal I made a full stock version of the above Crossbow using a commercial Trigger Assembly and 12" wide 85# Prod fitted into a Man size Thumbhole Shoulder Stock. It had a 5" Powerstroke. I shot 8" long cut down 18:14 X7 Alloy Arrow Shaft Bolts with 125 gr Glue in points and I used 3 x 1" Vanes. Due to the short Powerstroke it was basically useless. Accurate to 7 or 8 Yards, with a Tailwind it shot 25 yards Max and it was dangerous to shoot into 3D Targets because the Bolts lacked the Power to Penetrate and they Bounced Back at you. But it was Fun and yes I'd love to make a Pistol Crossbow just like the one above. Oh for an enlightened Society !

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin