Insurance?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Buckler

Insurance?

#1 Post by Buckler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey guys, please educate me.
I tried to make my wife a self bow for our anniversary. Failed, pics will be in shooting the breeze soon. Bought her a bow from a great guy, John MacDonald near Castle Hill. Went to a range in Werrington and she LOVED it.
Anywho a guy there said to shoot at the range we need insurance and to be members of the club.

How does this all work?
Are there a number of clubs out there and different ways to get insurance. Or is there an Australia wide Archery community who you can also get Insurance through? Once you have insurance can you shoot anywhere? Or do certain clubs own their own ranges.

My Mrs just wants to shoot and have fun and id like to find the most economical way to do it as I now dont know where to take her so she can keep using her bow.

Thanks guys.

+Simon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Insurance?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I think most clubs want you to join their club if you are going to shoot there regularly. On top of that you usually have to join the National Association that the club is affiliated with so that you have insurance cover to protect you and them. Others here who belong to a club should be able to help you further.

Jeff

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Simon my advise is join a club, [ I actually am myself] there is what is now referred to as Archery alliance where the three primary archery bodies in Australia; ABA, AA and 3dAAA. Each relates more to a particular discipline as in 3DAAA uses only 3 dimensional animal targets as in solid animal targets, AB A has a mix of these and and paper animal targets, and AA is more the olympic discipline with 'bullseye' type targets etc. With the alliance, one can now attend a number of events at other format clubs as well as their own organisation. With membership comes insurance and the opportunity for coaching and tution.In this day with radical groups hell bent on banning hunting and agitating for the ban of bows as offensive weapons the more people who join archery organisations then the more voices they represent . Politicans only relate to numbers.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Buckler

#4 Post by Buckler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Well im deffinatelly keen to join one then. :)

I am keen to get tuition, both for my wife and myself. If I can repair the bow I will have one till I can buy another. :) So Im sure keen to join a club. I just dont know which one. :)
I suppose this range is in a convenient location for us so perhaps I should just join theirs.

So when I join a club I will have to join 'a' national association which will be the association that that club happens to be associated with?

What can I expect for cost of membership plus Insurance?

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Can only comment on ABA which is about $60 pa includes insurance on range.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 am

Morning.
Buckler wrote:Well im deffinatelly keen to join one then. :)

I am keen to get tuition, both for my wife and myself. If I can repair the bow I will have one till I can buy another. :) So Im sure keen to join a club. I just dont know which one. :)
I suppose this range is in a convenient location for us so perhaps I should just join theirs.

So when I join a club I will have to join 'a' national association which will be the association that that club happens to be associated with?

What can I expect for cost of membership plus Insurance?
Just a bit more.

Find a club that you enjoy shooting at or want to shoot at for whatever reason. Join the Club and the Associated National Association!.

There are a fair few Inter-Association Shoots. You will not be short of events to go to. There are even events that provide insurance for that event only for a fee.

You can even join more than one club and National Association.

This really choose wisely decision as you pay your money and takes your chances. IMHO 3DAAA is lowest, ABA is in the middle and gives a free magazine, AA is the most expensive. All offer a similar level of Insurance.

Go and try a few clubs before investing your dollars.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

Some clubs charge around $250 per annum in AA that includes national and state body fees of which a small amount is insurance. The rest is weekly shooting fees. The whole lot works out at about $5 per week. Some clubs allow 24/7 access by issuing keys to members.

Up at Mountain Archers we allow trained archers to shoot as temporary members or visitors.
Most AA clubs run Beginner's courses. Ours costs $60 over 4 weeks for around 2 hours each insurance and gear included. We then let those folk sign on for seven weeks as temporary members free of charge to see whether they like the sport/club. I strongly recommend a formal beginner's course no matter what you aim to do.

We do not have a weekly program or competition. Members can set up 3D and paper 10 ring targets at whatever distances they wish and shoot from a common shooting line supervised by an experienced archer.

A place you should check out is a trad club called Hunter Valley Traditional Archers or someone like Robert Mckenzie at Wisemans Ferry. Robert is a forum member, so too Nick Lintern from HVTA, why not contact them? They are independent and very family friendly/trad clubs

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Buckler

#8 Post by Buckler » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks guys, thats really helpful. Just the info I was looking for.
longbowinfected, ill be messaging you. We are near fairfeild at the moment, but want to move to Glenbrook in the next 12 months.

Cheers

+Simon

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Liverpool City Archers in Helles St does the key thing and has field, target, indoor and clout permanently set up. I am an associate member there. Brett Kent their coach there is very good.

Closest to Glenbrook would be Penrith City Archers at Werrington.

Mountain Archers welcomes any competent archer on our Sunday shoots no matter their core calling.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

rossy

#10 Post by rossy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:47 pm

G'day Simon, I'm president of my local archery club, which is a indepentant ,non affiliated club.
Regarding insurance you must be a financial member to use the club facilities on non-shoot days and if you are not a financial member ,you can only shoot at club days , after you have filled in and signed the visitors book.

Our club has many people " non members" attend during the week, which members are encouraged to turn away on the day and ask to come back on a shoot day, where the appropriate forms can be filled in.
In a nut shell , it is about the club covering its butt to protect its self , and honestly our club insurance premiums make up ,well over half the clubs annual running cost .

Sadly in this day and age , clubs need to be mind full to public liabilatey.

As posted there are many clubs and associations to join, which will cover you.

Hope this helps mate

Safe hunting
Dickie

Buckler

#11 Post by Buckler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks guys for your replies. I have my Mrs lined up for a couple of classes and will then get her membership here with Penrith Coty Archers as their field is so conveniently located.
Thanks guys.
+S