Duty on bows over $1000

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

daniel boon

Duty on bows over $1000

#1 Post by daniel boon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:16 am

I have a couple of new bows coming from USA and Canada.
Just wondering what they will sting me for duty for bows, in the $1500 mark
Thanks Dan.

matt61

Re: Duty on bows over $1000

#2 Post by matt61 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 am

What sort of bows.Is it $1500 total for the two bows or $1500 each.
Matt

piggy

#3 Post by piggy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

If the total is over $1000.00 you will be required to pay the GST on the item + the import duties not sure what they are

jcm

#4 Post by jcm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

You will be up for GST plus the clearance charge.
No duty on bows.
Regards

John

Hamish

#5 Post by Hamish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:25 pm

You will be required to pay gst on the total, ie the cost of the bows + shipping. You also have to pay for filing a formal customs entry document. I cant remember the exact cost of the customs entry but its at least $100. If the goods come in by a courier they usually fill it in on your behalf. If it comes by post I think you need to fill it in yourself.
Hamish.

AndyD

#6 Post by AndyD » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:42 pm

On a 2nd hand Border I bought for $1100 it was approx $200 from memory.
Biggest pain was the wait. It added an extra two weeks to the wait - even though I paid immediately.
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

daniel boon

#7 Post by daniel boon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks, that gives me an idea. Two seperate bows, USA-CANADA. One is a TD so I might get the riser and limbs shipped saparately, the other is a 1pc so I'll have to lump it.
TD-Taiga-(in the spray booth -yesterday)
1pc-Tip-(should be ready eny day too)

Hamish

#8 Post by Hamish » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:16 am

Bows too long to go through the postal system, usually have to come in through couriers(full length bows sometimes slip into the postal system). They have a much lower threshold before you start to pay taxes and formal customs entry. Only $250 value rather than $1000.
Hamish.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Hamish wrote:They have a much lower threshold before you start to pay taxes and formal customs entry. Only $250 value rather than $1000.
I have never heard of that one Hamish. The limit of $1000.00 is set by the government and that should apply regardless of how the item is shipped. I have had items shipped by couriers that were close to the thousand dollar limit and did not pay any duty or GST. Have you had problems with couriers in this regard mate?

Jeff

flyne

#10 Post by flyne » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 pm

If u are getting take downs get the Limbs and riser sent sepretly that should keep it under $1000 value per package
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Hamish

#11 Post by Hamish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Jeff, Its been a while since I had anything shipped via courier eg full length bows or staves. It used to be like how I said earlier in this post, It might be different now. I remember when I got a nasty shock the first time getting charged gst on the cost of the shipping as well, considering about 99% occured outside of Australian borders.
I just had a look at customs website, and have seen conflicting information eg a fact sheet that says goods declared value is $1000 before gst is charged, doesn't include insurance and shipping. I also saw another page that says insurance and shipping was included as well as the cost of the goods, when calculating gst.
From what I can tell it looks like the threshold is now also $1000 for couriers, rather than $250, though I can't be sure. It does however mention the method of transport into Australia will determine how customs will assess the goods value and charges. In the past and now as well it has seemed to me the way the Customs information was presented, that anyone not already familiar with the process could easily get misled. Information is not always clearly and simply presented, and can be contradictory. I'm not saying that it is done on purpose, just that its a potentiallly messy bureaucratic process.

I would check directly with customs by phone so they can clarify things for an importer, if the value is over$1000( how they claculate it?), is post different to courier, like it used to be. If you don't do this you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Hamish.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Hamish wrote:In the past and now as well it has seemed to me the way the Customs information was presented, that anyone not already familiar with the process could easily get misled. Information is not always clearly and simply presented, and can be contradictory. I'm not saying that it is done on purpose, just that its a potentiallly messy bureaucratic process.
Yeah mate that is for sure. :roll:

To my knowledge so long as the goods and shipping is under $1000.00 AUS then there is no duty or GST payable.

Jeff

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Afternoon All.
jcm wrote:You will be up for GST plus the clearance charge.
No duty on bows.
Thanks John. That was my understanding.

The line that the Gov't has been plugging as of late is/was that below the threshold the process to collect on smaller amounts would cost more than the amount collected. Refer G Harvey and his complaints

My understanding is that GST is always charged on the total cost (price).

My opinion is that it is a non-event you have to pay it so just pay it. It is lesson to all that it is probably a good move to fully understand the total cost of an import before you commit to purchase.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:07 pm

not only that, buy from Australian bowyers.....there are plenty of good ones.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.