NEW CAMERA

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

NEW CAMERA

#1 Post by kerry » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 pm

I took my old minolta STR101 SLR [film camera] in for a service last week and just got a phone call from the service guy[ who made some smart ass remark like get into the 21st century ,luckily I know him well enough to respond accordingly. :biggrin: ,seems like it's beyond a normal service so I've decided to buy a new digital camera.I would like to keep the cost around the $500 mark so if you guys have any suggestions please help cheers Kerry
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

GrahameA

Re: NEW CAMERA

#2 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 am

Hi Kerry.
kerry wrote:I took my old minolta STR101 SLR [film camera] in for a service last week and just got a phone call from the service guy[ who made some smart ass remark like get into the 21st century ,luckily I know him well enough to respond accordingly. :biggrin: ,seems like it's beyond a normal service so I've decided to buy a new digital camera.I would like to keep the cost around the $500 mark so if you guys have any suggestions please help cheers Kerry
I expected you to be flooded with comments.

My $0:02. Do you want an SLR or do you just want a "better" camera? If you are after an SLR think of it more in terms of buying a lens system. Whatever the brand you go with make certain that the lenses that you want are available - and have longevity.

I am biased and like Canons for a number of reasons which can be matched by their big competitor Nikon. So it does not matter much which of those you buy.

Once you move outside that group amongst the more common cameras there are other issues which tend to flavour what you go with.

You will probably end up spending a bit more than $500. Just did a quick check and you can get this locally:

Canon 1100D Black Digital SLR Kit w/ EF-S 18-55mm IS USM Lens, $577.00 http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/digital ... e=1%2C1000

Purchasing from overseas is not always cheaper. Note: Freight from O/S can be costly.

Be prepared to start reading.....

Go here and read the article on Digital SLR's http://www.dpreview.com/articles/956670 ... igital-slr

And then spend a bit more time reading the reviews of the Cameras on the same site - there are heaps of them.

Note - you can buy locally for the same price as from Overseas and it is a lot easier to talk with someone locally than the person halfway across the world.

If you are still unsure what you want - like most of us. Have a look at the World Wildlife Photographer Exhibition and have a look at the equipment they used. There is a diverse range and if you look at the younger entrants they shoot amazing photos on some low price equipment.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/ ... tions/wpy/
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 am

Sorry I forgot to reply to you Kerry. I agree with what Grahame has said and I will add a little more. Any point and shoot type camera has a very small sensor which limits the information the photo file will contain. Noise (similar to bad film grain and sometimes coloured) is a problem with these small sensors when you have low light. DSLR cameras have much bigger sensors so you have the ability to get much better quality photos IMO. If you usually never blow your photos up bigger than 12" x 8" and mostly just want them for on the computer then a P & S would probably be fine for you.

Like Grahame I am a Canon man. :mrgreen: The Canon 1100D that Grahame mentions is on special at Dick Smiths at the moment (latest catalogue) for $475.00. At that price it would be well worth a look IMO.

If you prefer a P & S have a look at the Canon G series cameras or the PowerShot S100 and also I believe the Panasonic Lumix cameras are supposed to be good.

I find this is a good site for camera reviews also. http://www.steves-digicams.com/

When you get close to wanting to get one let me know if you like and I can give you some more online stores that have good reputations for buying from.

Jeff

Siege

#4 Post by Siege » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm

You get what you pay for. Being fimilar with cameras even if it was film you are going to have things you expect to see with your camera and areas in which you want the camera to perform. That being said are you better off with a larger investment that will last you longer and take longer to out grow.

I still know people using th canon 20d and have had no need to upgrade any further. Keeping in mind that the 20d is considered to be in the semi-pro range.

I big factor when I went out and made my first investment was the camera's pysical attributes. The cheaper lines are mainly made of plastic. They are small in the hand and often photographers like to get a battery grip just to make it feel better in the hand. This is the first choice before you worry about how the camera performs.

No camera should ever be dropped, but cameras do get knocked around and accidents do happen, thing is with a camera mainly made of plastic it isn't going to take much for that camera to be useless and beyond repair.

I had a 4yr kinder kid run into my canon 5d mkii and there was a mark on the kid but nothing on my camera, but a canon 5d mkii is at the other end to where you want to start.

If you are used to film you will be disappointed with digital cameras, they have their advantage but I still use film cameras, I always have rolls of film in the fridge, digital has not figured out how to take a true black and white photo yet. Colour is where a digital camera really prevails.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by kerry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanx for your input guys, I guess I'll go with another film camera and not a digital. spent many minutes researching today, still a fair bit more to dredge thru' but thanx again for your help I'll let you now what I decide on. cheers Kerry :confused: :roll:

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Kerry,
I have 6 Olympus OM1s and 2 Olympus OM2s and more lenses than you can poke a stick at.
If you're interested let me know. I just want to keep 2 of them as I use them a lot.
Tom.

Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by kerry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

pm sent Tom

Siege

#8 Post by Siege » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Kerry do you develop your own photos?

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by kerry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm

no Siege i don't, my motor skills would be comparable to a gnat :oops:

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:06 pm

love the Sony dschx20v does incredible macro and supermacro... around $450

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:love the Sony dschx20v does incredible macro and supermacro... around $450
They are an impressive piece of kit. Temptation ........ An acquaintance has one - amazing what he can do with it.

Kerry
IMHO - Unless you have a special reason for going with film it is a retrograde step.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by kerry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:love the Sony dschx20v does incredible macro and supermacro... around $450
They are an impressive piece of kit. Temptation ........ An acquaintance has one - amazing what he can do with it.

Kerry
IMHO - Unless you have a special reason for going with film it is a retrograde step.
probably so Grahame, bit like shooting a recurve or a longbow, i just feel more comfortable with something i know. thanx for you input though. cheers Kerry.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:49 am

kerry wrote:probably so Grahame, bit like shooting a recurve or a longbow,
Shooting a recurve or longbow certainly isn't a retrograde step, just the opposite!!! :shock: :biggrin:

Jeff

TomMcDonald

#14 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am

Neither is using film. Everything has its pros and cons.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by kerry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
kerry wrote:probably so Grahame, bit like shooting a recurve or a longbow,
Shooting a recurve or longbow certainly isn't a retrograde step, just the opposite!!! :shock: :biggrin:

Jeff
yeah i guess that wasn't a real good analogy i meant i prefer some old world concepts :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:17 pm

kerry wrote:yeah i guess that wasn't a real good analogy i meant i prefer some old world concepts
All good mate. :lol:

Jeff