Archery

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Siege

Archery

#1 Post by Siege » Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Looking at the different archery mags around, some here some overseas. Are there any good mags out there that are worth buyig/readng??

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Archery

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am

No Aussie ones that I would recommend. I subscribed to Traditional Bowhunter from the USA for many years but haven't for a long time now. They seemed to loose their way a bit IMO and repeat stuff. In its early years it was a great mag and had a lot of 'How To' articles etc. You can't buy it in the newsagents over here anymore either but it might be worth a look at again. I can't comment on any others.

Jeff

Rock Steady

#3 Post by Rock Steady » Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 am

Siege wrote:Looking at the different archery mags around, some here some overseas. Are there any good mags out there that are worth buyig/readng??
What sort of articles are you looking for?

Michael

Siege

#4 Post by Siege » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

I like the 'how to' style of mags, I also like having a poke around in the mags that have lots of shops or forsales. I am probably leaning more toward recurve and longbow over compound style of bow. I also like reading history of things as well.

The trad bow mag I just signed up too, even if they are reapeating articles it is ok as I am starting out so it's all new to me.
I also just signed up to backwoodsmen which is about survival using primitive means. Not sure how much is archery related but even the use of other primitive tools is intersting to me again, goes back to my love of history again I suppose.

woodie

#5 Post by woodie » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

I subscibe to the primitive bowhunter from the US. It is better to subscribe than buy from the newsagents as it costs around $18 here per mag but about $6 to get it from them. Which I don't get why would it more than triple in cost to walk into the shop to buy?
Woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Rock Steady

#6 Post by Rock Steady » Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Archery Action covers some of what you mentioned, resonable price resonable content.

You can check out some past electronic copies here for free.

http://www.bowhunters.org.au/index.php/ ... ne/elecmag

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Siege I could lend you a few "Traditional Bowhunter" mags for a month or so if you like, but some are as much as twenty years old ( I think I should include one or two of the older issues as they have more "how to" articles in 'em) and they are in very good condition so please look after 'em. :wink: :smile:
I'm happy to give you some Aussie mags, I don't read 'em much any more and they are just collecting dust here.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sun May 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Siege I have stopped all my Magazine Subscriptions bar "Backwoodsman". Sure it does not feature an Archery related Article every issue and even then they tend to be a little simplistic but the other content more than makes up for that. I love the dedication to preserving Skills our forefathers displayed on those pages.

I do receive Archery Action as an ABA member and it is a different magaine to what it was a few years ago but it will never be the type of Mag your looking for. I usually read it and pass my copy on.

I now get all my "how to" reading Online. Paleo Planet is a good source of Archery related Articles http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/ . Poke around mate their is a lot out there. Keep an eye on youtube also, lots of short clips there from "how to" DVD's.

Where do you live, their is a lot of Knowledge out their that skilled Traditional Archer's are chomping at the bit to share

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

ole_silver

#9 Post by ole_silver » Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 pm

i have subscribed to "Primitive Archer" for about 15 years..

it is a good mag that is now going to "Emag" ..

there is always a lot of variety with lots of good info, i often re-read the better articles..

have tried some of the cooking tips but with the Aussie touch,

www.primitivearcher.com

have a look around the site,

regards,
Steve........
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"