Lost an Ozbow member

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

slvrslngr

Lost an Ozbow member

#1 Post by slvrslngr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm hesitant to post this but feel like I need to speak up. It appears that Luke aka wayoutwest has cancelled his Ozbow account. I'm guessing it was in response to the criticism he received on his video posted in the Hunting and Fishing section where he was hunting over a water hole in Africa. Some comments were quite against that style of hunting and pretty harsh towards him. All I can say to those who posted those comments, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. If you don't like that particular style of hunting, that's fine, but for crying out loud, don't bash the guy over it. Were any laws broken, no. Was the shot in the "sweet" spot, yes. Did the animal die humanely, yes. I fail to see the issue. We all have our opinions, but criticizing our fellow hunters for cleanly taking a game animal is not in our collective best interest, it's how we loose our right to hunt any game species. Back home (America) many states have banned hunting bears over bait and by using dogs, mainly because of divisions amongst hunters and false propaganda by the anti-hunters. Cougar (mountain lion) hunting is going the same way. The anti-hunters love this type of thing, when we can't even support our own. United we stand, divided we fall.

Rant over, lets get back to shooting some arrows!

aroadik

Re: Lost an Ozbow member

#2 Post by aroadik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 pm

X 2 !

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 pm

slvrslngr wrote:Rant over, lets get back to shooting some arrows!
Not so fast slvrslngr as I feel some of your comments need to be addressed.

Firstly Luke didn’t cancel his Ozbow account, I did.

He chose to start a thread to personally attack me so I deleted the thread along with his Ozbow account and banned him from the site. I might add prior to this he had also started a thread personally attacking the Admin of Ozbow on another Bowhunting site and it was good to see that the Admin of that site saw fit to delete that thread also.
slvrslngr wrote:All I can say to those who posted those comments, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. If you don't like that particular style of hunting, that's fine, but for crying out loud, don't bash the guy over it. Were any laws broken, no. Was the shot in the "sweet" spot, yes. Did the animal die humanely, yes. I fail to see the issue.
Perhaps Luke and yourself and you to aroadik, should ask the question as to why comments were made about that particular hunting scenario. I have no intention of discussing it again here; suffice to say going by the comments of others and certainly with my own comments, there was a legitimate concern raised as to the fair chase element of the hunt.
slvrslngr wrote:United we stand, divided we fall.
I get rather tired of hearing this every time someone speaks out against a hunting practice they feel is ethically flawed. Often I feel that hunters not speaking out about such practices (being united as you call it) will be the very thing that will cause us to fall.

I could say a lot more but I will leave it at that.

Jeff

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 am

Morning All.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:He chose to start a thread to personally attack ...
Personal attacks on anyone on this site will always end with people being banned. It does not matter who is being attacked the simple rule is do not attack people.

The downside is that the moment that someone is personally attacked then there is a possibility of things end up in court and that is the last thing anyone wants.

On the good side of things it has been so long since someone has been banned that I have almost forgotten how to do it.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

looseplucker

#5 Post by looseplucker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning All.

On the good side of things it has been so long since someone has been banned that I have almost forgotten how to do it.
I cannot remember the French but the author Voltaire once remarked that the British Navy shoot an Admiral every once in a while "to encourage the others".
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

LP.....errr......to do what exactly?
Being partially from the French /Swiss side they obviously did not shoot enough of them....to get the sort of result my mob would have preferred.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

looseplucker

#7 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm

longbowinfected wrote:LP.....errr......to do what exactly?
Being partially from the French /Swiss side they obviously did not shoot enough of them....to get the sort of result my mob would have preferred.

Kevin

I think to try harder. To discourage complacency and all that sort of thing. Voltaire used the brits shooting Admiral Byng as the source of the quote or something.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:05 pm

looseplucker wrote:
I cannot remember the French but the author Voltaire once remarked that the British Navy shoot an Admiral every once in a while "to encourage the others".
My father-in-law has a similar way of putting it when dealing with small boys when they are "naughty" without hurting them, particularly relating to his grandsons. He reckoned just belt the kid sittin' next to him and the naughty one will immediately straighten up. :wink:

TazGtz

#9 Post by TazGtz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

looseplucker wrote:
longbowinfected wrote:LP.....errr......to do what exactly?
Kevin
I think to try harder. To discourage complacency and all that sort of thing. Voltaire used the brits shooting Admiral Byng as the source of the quote or something.
Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.
Candide, 1759 by Voltaire
You don't know? Just ask...

looseplucker

#10 Post by looseplucker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Merde alors, sacre bleu et crepe suzette!

looseplucker

#11 Post by looseplucker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:36 pm

rodlonq wrote:
looseplucker wrote:
My father-in-law has a similar way of putting it when dealing with small boys when they are "naughty" without hurting them, particularly relating to his grandsons. He reckoned just belt the kid sittin' next to him and the naughty one will immediately straighten up. :wink:

Its like that Bill Cosby sketch when his Mom would be trying to give the youngest brother, Russell, a beating and he was too quick and the the Mother would turn on the other boys and whale into them hitting them on every syllable: "and dont you sit there watching me miss him":

So Cosby says: "We got the hint, we jumped on Russell and held him down..." :biggrin:

hazard

#12 Post by hazard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 pm

I couldn't agree more LP

Thats the spirit lads lets lead by example :mrgreen:
imagesCA4FMQEM.jpg
imagesCA4FMQEM.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Rock Steady

#13 Post by Rock Steady » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 am

Reminds me of the saying, "People in glass houses should not throw stones".

looseplucker

#14 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am

Rock Steady wrote:Reminds me of the saying, "People in glass houses should not throw stones".

Or sneeze.

Rock Steady

#15 Post by Rock Steady » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 am

looseplucker wrote:
Rock Steady wrote:Reminds me of the saying, "People in glass houses should not throw stones".

Or sneeze.
I thought that was people in space suits.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/213874/astronaut_sneeze/

rodlonq

#16 Post by rodlonq » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Thats just nasty man. Imagine the look on his face if he dropped a soup cooler in there. :surprised: