Bow hunting BS

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Brigsy

Bow hunting BS

#1 Post by Brigsy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 am

Morning all.
Now im a pretty easy going sort, and have always done the right thing when it comes to the properties i hunt and by the peoples land i hunt and friends i hunt with. Was told by the father inlaw when i first started out that it takes 10 years to get a good name for yourself but do anything wrong and it will beat you off the block.
Now the main block i have been hunting for 5 years now is split into 2 and there is a rifle hunter that hunts one part and i hunt the other. I rang the owner thurs night to let him know that i was heading down and he tells me that this guy has trapped and shot 15 pigs off my side in the last 2 weeks ( he is now paying the owner) So now the good boars i have been watching mature are laying in a heap rotting in the paddock.
Then another mate was going to take me out to shoot a meat deer but was told by some so called mates that i would sneak in behind him and poach it.( just so he would take them instead)
So years of always doing the right thing has got me nowhere as it only takes a few words or dollars to wreck everything.
Just really makes you wonder why we bother sometimes.
My early morning whinge
chris

blu-dog

Re: Bow hunting BS

#2 Post by blu-dog » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 am

Fair enough to have a whinge too Brigsy! ...hunting properties are hard enough to come by these days without the lack of ethics and plain decency that too many "grubs" display in order to benefit themselves!

I know the time and effort that you have put into your main hunting block...with the early morning scouting trips and numerous close encounters!!! ...so I understand the frustration you must be feeling.

Hopefully - your good reputation and the way you conduct yourself will have great rewards )))-------> regardless of what these fellas have just managed to do in the space of a couple of weeks :x
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 am

Being a member of the rifle hunting community as well as the bow hunting I have to say that the bowhunting has a lot more of this sort of thing go on in my experience.This is not the case with the Trad side which is one of the huge attractions.But having said that being involved with the ADA for some years also as soon as DEER come into the equation I have seen good men(well I thought they were) turn to back stabbing pochers. :cry: So the moral of the story is sell that "Hunting MACHINE' and stick with the longbow.
Cheers KIM

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:02 am

That a lot of bad luck alright Chris, I hope it turns around and comes good for you soon. The fellas that have been doing the dirty on you will get their rewards soon enough. Behaviour like that does not go un-noticed, as you have already pointed out.

Cheers....... Rod

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 am

That scene stinks, Brigsy! I'm sorry to hear about it but the truth is the bowhunting community is a microcosm of the rest of society and Australia is like this wherever I go. From my perspective it's a nasty "dog eat dog, cheat 'em before they cheat you", way of life matey, and I flat out refuse to allow myself to become immersed in such a cesspit. In the last 30 years the top end of town has so debauched what was once a fair, equitable society that it's no longer recognisable as such. We now have Thatchers vision of Hell she prescribed for us... "There is no such thing as "Society", just a collection of (self centred, insular) individuals"...! :x
That's the reason I am so very very careful about who I associate with. I take a very long time observing people's perspectives on life and how they treat others before I decide they are someone I would like to share company with, and even then I get burned occasionally! (Ok, my soapbox has been put away now :wink: :biggrin: )

A while back I would get so excited about finding a new property I would tell just about anyone involved in bowhunting ( I'm not relating this to you or your experience, Brigsy. I'm sure you know better than I do about this stuff) but I soon learned that's not a good idea. Now, I have about 5 blokes I discuss that sort of thing with, and that's it! 3 of those blokes I admire, respect & just plain like a lot and go to for advice or just to tell them what I've found, quite regularly.

Remember my cousin, David, you once spoke to? Give him another call, mate. He's not like the folk you have described, you have my word on it. :wink:
Last edited by Nephew on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 am

Thats a shame,just got to hope he missed the big old smart boars mate :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Sorry to hear mate. :x
Brigsy wrote:Just really makes you wonder why we bother sometimes.
We bother because we want to do the right thing and not lower ourselves to the level of those who lack good hunting ethics!

Jeff

Bent Stick

#8 Post by Bent Stick » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Mate think most of us have our good will kicked out from under us, I know I have and mate I just refuse to go down and join; I like to walk tall and know that right is right. Think Craig summed it up pretty well.

Walk tall and let's hope cretins grow a comcience someday and sort themselves out
Last edited by Bent Stick on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Brigsy

#9 Post by Brigsy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Atleast i can sleep at night knowing i have done the right thing. Then its only things like arrow set up that keeps me awake :roll: . I thought i left all the politics behind when i stoped dogging pigs, but yes deer do make people crazy.
chris

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Brigsy wrote: Then its only things like arrow set up that keeps me awake :roll: .
chris
:lol:
Hold your head up, mate, you do right and that's alls that matters. :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:42 pm

I must say on the up side there is a code the trad guys, especially on this site seem to uphold very well. I have been invited on hunts by many people on this site and they were very generous with thier trust :biggrin:

Then on a more serious note this is not a trust you would even brake by accident let alone intentionally for the meer sake of a chance to hunt deer. It is human nature to be greedy but we can control this weekness by choice alone.

Well said Moreton :biggrin:

I have full faith what goes aroung comes around and in turn these bottom dwellers will have their fair share returned 8)

Having your say here on this site to advertise your principals will open more doors than the back stabbers can grift by thier weak constitution :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Brigsy

#12 Post by Brigsy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Well it has been an afternoon of cleansing......
I confronted the people that where spreading the lies and as excpected they denied everything. So i just asked for everything i had lent them and said good bye and good luck!
And while i was out and about i sold my wheelie bow ( for much less than it was worth) but it is the end of that chapter and the start of a whole new one.
Thanx everyone for the support, it is great to know that there is still some humans left that believe in doing the right thing and still have honour and respect.
Cheers chris

stickshooter

#13 Post by stickshooter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 pm

It's a hard lesson Brigsy ,if you'v got a good spot some mongral will will go stuff it up

Jeffro

#14 Post by Jeffro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:46 am

Ahh that is a shame mate.I have had alledged mates in the past let me down aswell and like Moreton said you take a long time to observe and decide if people are ok as they can easily wreck it for you.they can act like the best bloke in the world till they get what they want and its see ya later.I am extremely cautious with it now days
Hope things turn out ok and you get something good happening again.

looseplucker

#15 Post by looseplucker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:13 am

Jeffro wrote:Ahh that is a shame mate.I have had alledged mates in the past let me down aswell and like Moreton said you take a long time to observe and decide if people are ok as they can easily wreck it for you.they can act like the best bloke in the world till they get what they want and its see ya later.I am extremely cautious with it now days
Hope things turn out ok and you get something good happening again.

What Jeffro said. That is a pretty ordinary thing to do.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Bent Stick

#16 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 pm

But guys there is always a silver lining to every cloud; we need the tossers on the planet so we can actually recognise the good people when we meet em.

Walk tall and don't bend to satisfy the craven in the gutter, after the hunt you still have to live with yourself.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons