welcome and introduction from a new guy...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jwillis

welcome and introduction from a new guy...

#1 Post by jwillis » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 am

Hey guys, it is Jim Thorne here. Most archers and bowyers online know me as "jwillis".

Thanks for posting in a related thread with links to my new bow making blog at http://www.buildyourownbow.com !

Just a little introduction about myself...

I live in Missouri, USA. I am mostly a bowyer and shooter and less of a hunter. I came from being a compound shooter and hard core bow hunter in the 1970s and 80s but started making my own bows in the 1980s. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with designing and building traditional bows and instinctive shooting. I eventually sold my compound and now shoot completely traditional. I am constantly amazed at how simple a traditional bow can be, but how complex and challenging it can be at the same time to design a good one. I am really interested in designing bows that are balanced in speed, behavior, and longevity. I like to "think outside of the box" sometimes. I like to do a testing and computer modeling at times before making the actual bow.

I've made mostly fiberglass composite recurves and hybrid longbows, but also love to make self bows and wood composite bows. I am a graphic designer by profession and have drawn blueprints of my three-piece take-down recurve and hybrid longbow. I hope to eventually make these available at the new blog.

I have made a lot of contributions about making bows at Leatherwall, Pirates of Archery, and Paleo Planet over the years. I like helping new bowyers get started and possibly avoid all of the mistakes I have made. :roll:

Hopefully, I can be a contributor here with some useful tips and interesting stories.

Jim
My new bow making blog is launched at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com/

Click here to see the BuildYourOwnBow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow/

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: welcome and introduction from a new guy...

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:29 am

Welcome to Ozbow Jim; it's good to have you join our little online community. :biggrin: I'm sure you will be able to discuss bow making with others on here.

Jeff

Macca

#3 Post by Macca » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Welcome Jim, it's good to have all these people with a vast array of wealth and knowlege.

Cheers Macca.

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Welcome and great idea for you to share information. Just starting myself and am amazed at the complexities and nuances involved in turning out a good bow.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Bent Stick

#5 Post by Bent Stick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Welcome Jim glad to have you here sharing a yarn, experience, expertise and just chewing the fat.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 am

Gidday Jim, welcome to Ozbow mate.

wishsong

#7 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am

Gidday Jim ,
Always good to have a fellow Pirate here ...... :mrgreen:

cheers

Ben