new hacker heads up

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

terryzac

new hacker heads up

#1 Post by terryzac » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:49 am

just thiught id let all of you know. recieved this off my computer nerd mate

PASS THIS ON!

IF A PERSON CALLED SIMON ASHTON ( SIMON25@HOTMAIL.CO.UK) CONTACTS YOU THROUGH EMAIL DON'T OPEN THE MESSAGE. DELETE IT BECAUSE HE IS A HACKER!!

TELL EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ON YOUR LIST ADDS HIM THEN YOU WILL GET HIM ON YOUR LIST. HE WILL FIGURE OUT YOUR ID COMPUTER ADDRESS, SO COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE EVEN IF YOU DON'T CARE FOR THEM AND FAST BECAUSE IF HE HACKS THEIR EMAIL HE HACKS YOUR MAIL TOO!!!!!.....

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on.. This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled 'Mail Server Report'

If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC,
And the person who o sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it .

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'..

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

bigbob

Re: new hacker heads up

#2 Post by bigbob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for that , I for one will be keeping vigilent.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Rock Steady

#3 Post by Rock Steady » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Just so you know, most of the emails you get warning of something like this and to let everyone know the issue are normally just spam or a hoax. A quick search on Google lets you know which are real and which are fake.

In this case it is a Hoax.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/simon25-hacker-hoax.shtml

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/intern ... ashton.htm

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for that rocksteady, at least its one less to worry about. I do have good virus protection and do a scan most days but still occasionaly get some dubious emails that i just delete.
razorbows.com

Rock Steady

#5 Post by Rock Steady » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 am

Only some dubious emails, your doing well. If I ever need cheap medication or something enlarged I just need to check my junk email box for guaranteed help :lol: .

Any email you receive that asks you to let as many people know as possible is normally 100% spam.

My old PC runs free AVG and nothing else and has for years, seems to tick along fine (I have two teenagers that use it as well).

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 am

Thats exactly what I use and its better than my previous paid for protection in PCtools. I get almost no spam at all and very few 'suspect' emails for some reason.
razorbows.com

ppofandt

#7 Post by ppofandt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Rule of thumb.

If the email asks you to send a copy to everyone you know - it's a hoax.

"PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS" for instance.