Report Card----Twelve months on.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Report Card----Twelve months on.

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Twelve months on.

Well who would have thought, it's only been twelve months !
Twelve months since what ? I hear you ask.
Well twelve months since I placed an order for a Custom built Gringa longbow & decided I was going to be a traditional archer !
Some may snicker due to the carbon arrows that frequent my quiver, but since October last year, I have picked up my wheelie bow only three or four times. Most of those just to make sure it still works. In fact, only 1 hunt that comes to mind & that was right at the start of this journey.

So what has happened in the last twelve months that is worth writing about ?

Plenty, I have taken my 1st Trad kill, I have harvested my first kill of species on Goat, Pig & hare.
There are a mile of photo's from north Qld, western Qld, southern Qld & anything that was worth a damn in between.
I attended my first Traditional archery shoot, my first Gladstone Muster.
At these shoots, I also met many of the big prominent names that frequent these parts of Ozbow & some that don't. Many people I have spoken with on here & can't wait to catch up with.

I have learnt to make my own timber arrows (since learning it's an art best left to those with more time than I) I have tried & failed at more shooting techniques than I care to name.

I have spent many hours with a select few who have taken the time to share their knowledge with me. Not just in practice, but hunting & basically just chewing the fat over a beer or two.
Three people who have been very influential over my Traditional archery venture in the last twelve months.
Blu-dog(bgs05, shanks, more names than he knows what to do with that boy). Blu-dog introduced me into the realm of trad archery (yes dear, it is he you must blame) Not only letting me fondle his long bows, but brokering my first long bow purchase for me (I was to scared). Then Introducing me to LbRod55 when the time had come to place that all important order for a bow to suit my needs.

LbRod55 (Gringa, sweetheart, what is it with you blokes & all these bloody nick names) What can I say, you have spent countless hours watching my arrows fly down your back yard & smash into anything but what I was supposed to be hitting. You have gently offered advise & pointers & occasionally smacked me over the back of the head when you seen fit. I am just glad you have never charged me by the arrow for all the ones we have sent down your range. You created me the Red Belly Black Stick which has turned out to be one of those bows I would refer to as "Ol' Faithfull. When it has all turned bad, this is the bow that brings it together under any conditions for me.
You then went forward & produced The Mistress. Well what fun she has brought. With a shoulder injury slowing me down, the lower poundage has seen me continue on in my Traditional archery venture. At the same time setting me a whole new set of challenges to deal with.

Keith (Yowie, Geez mate, they must have got tired making nick names by the time they got to you) Yowie has the 3d range on his property that he allows us to shoot any weekend we can get there. You never know what you are in for, the range is never the same twice, he likes to keep you on your toes. Keith hand crafts every arrow he shoots (except the ones I give him ....lol) I spent a few days in Texas hunting with Keith, a man that could teach many hunters a thing or two I am sure.

As I said, they has been many that have spent the time to help me get this far. Those are just the three main guys I guess.

But anyway, back to reflecting on MY last Twelve months.
I reckon it would be safe to say, thousands of arrows have passed over the shelf. Many of which that found their mark ....cough..... cough....... ok, some of them did, many of them didn't .... lol

How about I shut up & take you on a photographical journey of the last twelve months ...........

First ever Trad kill with my first longbow (a Smokey bow)

Having a go at my first wood arrows

The ruff crowd I been hanging out with.

Even made my own target butts

First Trad goat

Scored a Longbow hare

My first long bow Pig (Taken on a group hunt in the Cape 6 weeks after picking up the red belly)

Hunting with a mate who I have introduced to archery (although he is a wheelie hunter) But on a recent hunt this year we both took a billy from the same mob, he with wheels, I without.

Sharing a hunt with Blu-dog to secure his first Trad kill (Other than a mouse)

Same hunt I scored my first full trad kill, Longbow & wood arrows .......

On a hunt long before I had turned to the dark side, we had a bloke accompany us on a hunt to Mitchell.
Ozbow's own Scrub bull, 2 young billies with a long bow. I may not have know it, but I am sure it started the spark of what the dark side was like .....lol

Gladstone muster

Shooting a round at Keith's is great fun, even better to share it with someone new. G'day Roadie.

I made a tapering machine due to my insane hatred for hand tapering timber shafts ....lol Kingly modelled by blu-dog

Hunting Texas with that rowdy crew again

Terrible things you see when out on a late hunt

I could go on & on for ages. But I am sure I have just about bored you lot to death by now. I guess I just wanted to mark the mild stone of turning one. Pay some respect & say thanks to all those who have helped me on my way.
I hope the next twelve months has just as much in store. I hope to catch up with the mates I have made during this journey & meet just as many more.

Thanks for listening to my dribble & thanks for reading.

Gringa Bows

Re: Report Card----Twelve months on.

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm

loved the story ,Happy Birthday mate. :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks for the write up and photos mate and happy 1st Trad Anniversary!!! I hope there are many many more ahead also. :biggrin:

You are right, you certainly do get to meet some great people in the Trad community.

Jeff

blu-dog

#4 Post by blu-dog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for that mate - it's been a great journey and has been even better to have some great mates to share it with! Thanks for all that you have done too - your passion for all things bowhunting...and your ability to give me that mental upper-cut when required has been very much appreciated.

Every time I see the photos of those mice I get another attack of the giggles - geez that was bloody funny!

Well done on your trad journey Gidget...I truly hope that your shoulder heals quickly and that we'll be wandering in western Qld again very soon!

I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon the world of "Trad" and am very humbled to have found some great mates there!

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:36 pm

You've done well mate. Great story and great photos. I never knew ZZ Top retired to Bundaberg.

Enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheers
Troy

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 am

A great 12 months and may the journey continue mate, or is that Gary, or is that Gidget, or is that nutt grass?

Cheers Wayno

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 am

A great story and great photos too Gidget. You have fitted a lot into one year mate, good onya.

Cheers.......... Rod

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:43 am

Great stuff Gidget. Great journey.

wishsong

#9 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

Awesome stuff mate ... well done on a great year .
A bunch of fun ain't it :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

bear74

#10 Post by bear74 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am

great write up and pics, hope there are many more years enjoyment and memories for you :biggrin:

Bear

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 am

Fantastic story Gidget. Great pickies! Good memories :mrgreen:

Hazard

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 am

Great yarn, mate! Here's to many more years with the trad bow. :biggrin:

Keith Lee

#13 Post by Keith Lee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Gidget and there is still more to look forward to. Yowie.

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Great story Gidget, it sure was fun shooting with the Bunderberg version of ZZ top. Are you back shooting yet. The Bride and I are heading Nth next week, and planning to shoot at the Gympie shoot at the end of October, if you are shooting will you be there. Cheers Roadie.

Nutgrass

#15 Post by Nutgrass » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys 8) the words thank you are often over looked in today's world. So I guess this was my way of making sure, just in case they haven't heard me :biggrin:

Roadie, I shot my first round of targets at keiths yesterday, a bit sore, but I am going to get some torture...... Oops I mean manipulation done on it soon. The topic of gympie came up & it looks like we are going to try & make it 8) so i am looking forward to catching up with everyone there 8)

Thanks again, wasn't sure whether to actually post this story or not, it sounded a little self indulging when I read it back. Glad it didn't bore you all.

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:21 am

Morning All.

Hmm... In my limited experience arrows with Pink Fletches always look good ..... and fly better as well.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brett Finger

#17 Post by Brett Finger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:13 am

how time flys !!!

you done real well, nutty,real well.....

Bretto... :ugeek:

hazard

#18 Post by hazard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm

GrahameA wrote:Morning All.

Hmm... In my limited experience arrows with Pink Fletches always look good ..... and fly better as well.
Morning All.

Are you going to get the chrony out on that one? :wink: I thought 'Red Ones" go faster!

Hazard

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:00 pm

What? You mean to say we've been putting up wi...oops... enjoying your company and diamond wit for only 12 months? :surprised: Huh! Seems like forever... :wink: :razz: :lol:

Gilly

#20 Post by Gilly » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Looks like a great year to me!!!
Congratulations, and here's to many more!! :mrgreen:

Macca

#21 Post by Macca » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 am

Great memories and great mates, well done mate a great year.