Young people changing attitudes...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Young people changing attitudes...

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 am

My 17 yr old daughter is in year-one of working towards her Nursing degree. In one of her courses students were required to bring in, and present, an item that represented “healthy living” to them.

Among the expected yoga mats and running shoes was my kid with her recurve.

She broke her presentation into 3 parts; the physical (exercise) aspect of shooting a bow, the mental (focus, etc) aspect and the "spiritual" (intrinsic) aspect. She said that many in the group thought she was going to talk about archery. But this was the part where she went on to explain that hunting was a big part of her values/belief – how it gave her (and hunters in general) a better understanding and connection to the natural world, the pride in providing for the family, the sadness but exhilaration of taking an animal by utilizing the skills that had been handed down from one generation to the next. The primal connection of knowing that you can survive, and by surviving you can truly live.

There was quite a bit more to it, and she is an eloquent speaker and word-smith. At the end she fielded a number of questions from the predominantly young and urban group and when the prof asked for comments on her presentation there was nothing but accolades for her. One young woman even said to her that she had never thought that hunting encompassed the many ideas that my daughter talked about and admitted that her perceptions of hunting and hunters had changed.

My daughter said that she knew she got through to the group was when her prof turned to the chalk board behind her and wrote:

Hunting = Respect.

Damn right I’m proud of her!! :)

RC

Nice to see things back up and running!!

kerrille

Re: Young people changing attitudes...

#2 Post by kerrille » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 am

maaaaate how good .Now get her on the first plane to oz and her on the talking circuit we need more people like her .

...nev...

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:23 am

You must be so proud you're fit to burst!! Fan-tastic! "Hunting = Respect" She got through to 'em alright indeed! Please congratulate this smart, articulate young lady for us. :biggrin:
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppofandt

#4 Post by ppofandt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 am

Awesome story.

Love it.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:27 am

You have/are raising a fine young woman in your daughter and you and your wife should be very proud of that mate. She obviously loves the outdoors because of what her parents taught her and she is now obviously a fine young ambassador for Bowhunting/Hunting; tell her thanks and congratulations from me.

Jeff

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am

For every bad story about the youth of today, unfairly there are an equal amount of level headed, caring, compassionate young uns' having ideals that hardly ever see the light of day. Congrats on raising a lass with these ideals and the eloquence to convey these to others in such a manner that can only reflect good.

dawallace45

#7 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Good on her !!

David

andy80

#8 Post by andy80 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Well done on raising a fine young woman, congratulate her for me. You must be very very proud.

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:52 pm

That is the most profoundly wise and moving aspect I have ever heard of! How proud you must be :mrgreen:

Hazard

Steven J

#10 Post by Steven J » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:26 pm

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

I think that somehow when a woman can present the facts of ethical hunting it gives the idea so much more credibility than a young man can achieve. What do others think of this idea?

Steve

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 am

Tuffcity,

One thing is for sure mate, you have done an exemplary job as a father, congratulations. Your story has made my (and I am sure many others) day, please thank her for me.

I wonder is you daughter also a student of kung fu? It is interesting that the 'body, mind and spirit' aspects have been used by Sifu's (teachers) for ages. Another interesting similarity about trad archery is that it requires much the same approach and dedication from the student. kung fu literally means 'hard work over time' and anyone who does this may be thought to have kung fu (eg. a skilled butcher or carpenter). And so attaining the mental and spiritual aspects of archery as well as the physical ability is a testament to the values your daughter
has learned from you and your wife (and perhaps from others as well).

In addition to all that, we find your daughter is studying to be a Nurse, a noble and selfless profession. Wow - what a wonderful young lady she must be, no wonder you are proud.

Cheers.......... Rod

PS. I agree with you Steve!