Great new show on SBS - Gourmet Farmer

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Great new show on SBS - Gourmet Farmer

#1 Post by perry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:23 pm

There has been several shows on Australain Television the last few years that put a positive slant on Hunting and eating Game. Wild Gourmet and River Cottage spring to mind

Last night was the first time I've watched an episode of Goumet Farmer, a new show on Australian television that reminds me very much of the sucessfull River Cottage which has been one of my favourite shows for a number of years. Gourmet Farmer is set in Tasmania.

Last nights episode featured recipe's for Pidgeon Squabs, Wallaby [ legally shot in the Wild ] and Wild shot Rabbit. The chap openly admits he has not hunted for Game meat and the show featured a profesional shooter doing the Killing. It was shown in an honest matter of fact way. Quite refreshing to see on Australian Television

Here's a link for those who have not seen the show

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/21 ... ing-Empire

I am not sold on the fact it takes labeling Hunting / Shooting Game as Gourmet for positive press but perhaps , just perhaps some folks might stop and think about the crap the Anti's have been sprouting and understand that Hunting and Gathering your own Tucker is a part of being Human, that we are intimetly connected to the Wild no matter how disconnected from Nature modern life leads many to believe I will be tuning in again next week. Also notice the show is available on DVD

regards Jacko

bigbob

Re: Great new show on SBS - Gourmet Farmer

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I quite often watch the show Perry and like it. As a matter of interest also i watched another show last night preceding that one about hunting in South Africa with crossbows and bows. It had some french named dude as the commentator and concerned the ethics of hunting and game safari parks. The argument from one side [ the safari parks] was that these safari parks were actually invaluable in conservation as they had bred some seriously endangered species and released them on their own lands for the purpose of hunting, and that all animals were monitored and carefully managed. Because it was run as a money making scheme it was in their interests to keep all animals healthy.Their argument and a valid one was that if not for their efforts then these animals would have become extinct. It was a great show and the host was seriously conflifted between his conservative views re hunting and the visible benefits of these hunting ranches.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 pm

The previous show on the Hunting Ranches sounds very interesting Bigbob. Even though I would not call myself a Trophy Hunter in the vien of many of my Bowhunting Friends. I most certainly have taken Trophy Horns, Tusks, Hides etc from time to time and have a desire to Hunt Game such as Cape Buffalo. I too am conflicted by this and rarely can be drawn to argue one way or the other as no matter what I say it is a contradiction. There is something deep inside me that drives me to take the occasional Trophy just as there is something else deep inside me that disturbs me when a magnificent Animal is taken for nothing more than a record set of Antlers, or Horns

Could it be with recent Radio and Television programming more positive reporting of Hunting and Killing of Wild Animals on a commercial basis that Society's poor perception is beginning to swing back to a balanced view

How long has Gourmet Farmer been on for, I recall seeing an Ad for it sometime ago but never caught the show until last night.

One day when I win Lotto I will be able to fund my own self sufficient and sustainable home and have my own Hunting block. I'll settle for further establishing a Herb Garden and growing Sweet Potato's in my Townhouse's backyard in the meanwhile and maybe a small aquaponics set up next Tax Refund.

For those who have not heard of Aquaponics here's a link

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/

regards Jacko

dawallace45

#4 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Love that show , watched it about a year ago

David

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Aquaponics is a real win win situation as the waste produced by the fish fertilises the plants, the plants filter the water and so the cycle goes.My house has part solar power, plus water tank for gardening and has no air con as it was designed to channel any breeze throughout the house.I just wish it was out in the boondocks so I didnt have any neighbours. I must drive them mad with my bow making noise and they surely drive me nuts with howling bloody dogs at all hours[ 4 different houses] and doof doof 'music' all the time. I am a hermit at heart and had I not got married when I did would have been perfectly happy down a hole at Coober Pedy or in a shack up Cape york living perfectly happy with my own company. The less charitable might say that I am the only one who could put up with me anyway.Still my dearly beloved [ she might find my ozbow password] has managed it for 23 years.