Fly tying..

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Fly tying..

#1 Post by kimall » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:16 pm

I have not yied a fly for about 10 years but am keen to get back into the fly fishing so have been tying some of late.Here are some shrimps I tied up today not my pattern and they need some epoxy on the back but I am happy with the results.The first is at the top and the last one is at the bottom.
Cheers KIM

UPTHETOP

Re: Fly tying..

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Kim they look great mate. Are they strait O'shanty hooks. I have a few small shrimp patterns will have to dig them out and take a few photos.
How did you do the eyes are they melted mono and painted. They look strong on the hook.
Great colours are they for the freshwater.

Looks like a great pattern and should work for shore.

Good to see you tying again, be carefull could ignite the flame again mate.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Wayno it was our chat at the shoot that got me inspired again.:)..
The hooks are Gamakatsu salt water fly hooks.The eyes are made for flower making :oops: they are flower stamins I got from a hobby store years ago but I now have some heavy mono I got today to make some melted eyes.
I will be making some crab patterns tomorrow I hope how do you feel about a trip fishing the flats of H.Bay chasing some Goldens mate.:)I hope you will put some fly pics up I will take some more of some of my older flys tomorrow.
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:27 pm

They look tasty Kim.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Kim.

They look great. :mrgreen: I now wait with "Worm-on-tongue" for the photos on them in action.

Hmmm, it would be nice to see more
At terns.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Jaydo

#6 Post by Jaydo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:34 pm

ive been tying nymphs lately....on a size 14 :shock:

looks good Kim, ive seen that pattern before somewhere as well..
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

stickbow

#7 Post by stickbow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Gidday Kim, I would like to tie on fur tracers on some arrows. Where do you get the fur material from? By the way the flies look great! John :mrgreen:

Guy Layton

#8 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Nice work Kim, I too haven't tied flies for around the same time... :( I haven't even wet a fly since taking up bowhunting.... :cry:

Do you tie both salt and freshwater flies mate...?

Cheers Guy.. :D
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

kimall

#9 Post by kimall » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks guys its good to be into it again.The fur can be bought as "Zonker strips" and are about a foot long if that helps mate but you will need to go through a shop that sells fly fishing gear prob.
Guy it is the same with me I got that into the bows everything else was left behind but the spark is back.I tie all flies from the smallest trout dries to big deer hair poppers and everything in between. :lol: I will get some more pics up in the next couple of days.
Cheers KIM

Guy Layton

#10 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Kim,

I lived and breathed fishing and fly fishing for a good 15 years before I found bowhunting... I am sure it is all just one big cycle, which we hop off at certain time to time..... I was holidaying with my brother in law a few weeks ago and he still has the passion for fishing I once had... I was super keen to get back home and flick a few flies at some spawn run trout, but know a few bows have arrived at my door, I am not so sure it is going to happen.... :(

So little time these days....

Cheers Guy... :D
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Great flies Kim , I must give the Shrimp a go. I like the colours Grand effort mate! :D

Guy Layton wrote:I lived and breathed fishing and fly fishing for a good 15 years before I found bowhunting
I cant say I held out that long, as I do go from time to time but usually once or twice a year. The "Bow Bugs" venom is still running through my veins at the moment, but Guy is right these interests usually go in cycles and I am sure the "Fly Fishing Bug" will give me another nip sooner or later.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Brett Finger

#12 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 am

Nice work mate,

ill have to dust the vice off and make some dodgy attempt at something, havnt tied a fly in years, was never any good at them as far as amazing skills go,i kocked out crap when supplys got low, luckly fish still eat them..

was great talking fly to you and fishing god ( opps, i mean Wayno ) went away from that conversation feeling like a noobie to fly fishing after talking to Wayne... :oops:

Bretto... :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 am

Morning Kim.

Curse you. :D :D :D :D

Went fishing yesterday afternoon as a result of your post and can now see a Fly Reel sitting on the Coffee Table. Have arranged to go go fishing 0-Dark Hundred this Saturday - there goes Archery.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

UPTHETOP

#14 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:02 am

Grahame ahh the dreaded curse mate.
Kim some photos of some old flies and yes I mean old boy it has been a while.
Not as neat as yours as some have caught a few fish, some have aged and discoloured, some well have just been abused.
The smaller orange shrimp pattern was great in our area for jungle pearch, the smaller prawn was good on the flats at home here, and the prawns where dynamite on the barra. They have tanned up in colour as the expoxy goes with age but they still worked a treat.
I actually tied a few of these weighted and mates use to cast them with there bait casters with a few split shots on the leader.
The crabs well there not Del Merkins but were quite effective on goldens and eastery cod on the flats.
I would cast them in front of the fish and being weighted they would float down hook up and the fish would just pick them up but boy getting the strike right was the trick.

You have brought back many memories thanks for that mate.

Cheers Wayno
Attachments
DSCF0033.JPG
DSCF0033.JPG (76.29 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0039.JPG
DSCF0039.JPG (102.76 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0050.JPG
DSCF0050.JPG (107.03 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0049.JPG
DSCF0049.JPG (134 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0045.JPG
DSCF0045.JPG (109.3 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0027.JPG
DSCF0027.JPG (105.71 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
DSCF0030.JPG
DSCF0030.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 5430 times

Brett Finger

#15 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:48 pm

hay Wayneo,
'thay Del Merkins (sp) crabs i spoted ??
Bretto..
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

kimall

#16 Post by kimall » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Mate love the crabs do YOU want to explain how the Merkins got their name..... :oops:
Here are a couple of pics of some old flies I dug up in the shed some have been chewed by the cockroaches but you get the idea.
Cheers KIM..

kimall

#17 Post by kimall » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 pm

A couple more..

kimall

#18 Post by kimall » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Last ones..for now, note the woven body

hazard

#19 Post by hazard » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Kim Love your work mate, the Dahlberg looks a ripper! :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

kimall

#20 Post by kimall » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Grahame mate details on the gear purchase please..... :lol:
The great thing about fishing is you can put the gear away for a while and then out it comes when the cycle repeats itself.
Cheers KIM

Brett Finger

#21 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Saras love dalbergs on day break.. whoot ! whoot !!... Merkins crab flys, devoloped and ties by Del Merkin....
Bretto...

Brett Finger

#22 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

i got some Leftys decivers here that where given to me by Jack Erskin back n the day, as well as a Kate Howe jobbie and some of Danny blanton bill fish jobbies from Cpt Barry Cross..., im sure Wayno will be able to shed more light on the above flys than i...

hes lived the dream and has my 100% respect...
Bretto...

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Kim.
kimall wrote:Grahame mate details on the gear purchase please..... :lol:
The great thing about fishing is you can put the gear away for a while and then out it comes when the cycle repeats itself.

Nothing new. Just moved a Dragonfly reel from the tackle box it was in as I need to get some new flyline for it and it is currently sitting on the Coffee table. Hmm.... a trip to the Tackle Warehouse may be in order. Speaking of "the gear", like many people I have a large collection of it.

Have now spent several hours looking for my System Two. No success ... must be somewhere in the house.....

Love the flies and the packaging. I now have feelings of inadequacy.

Has anyone tried using the sprays used on Soft Plastics to enhance the "taste" on flies? Many years ago I use to dig my Deceivers into Tuna oil to give them that extra "Zing".

Must be time to dig out the Videos of "A River Somewhere" - "Los Roques" sounds like a nice place to visit.
Grahame.

UPTHETOP

#24 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 am

Boy trying to remember some of those names Bretto.

As you said the Del Merkin crab named after its inventor played a big part in the Saltwater flyfishing sceane all those years ago when the fly was one of the first to take the elussive Permit which is a much sort after species of fish on the fly and also one of the three included in the Amearican GRAND SLAM.
The fly itself looks nothing like mine and was tied using brown and tan wool if I remember correctly.
The Dalbergs were and still are one of my favourite flies. I was addicted to the togas for years in the Territory and tied hundreds of them I recone.
Would'nt know how to now its been to long. Named after the famous Larry Dalberg a great friend of Lefty's. I first saw these flies when Lefty come out to Australia and spent some time with your great mate Harro, Bretto. Man that was a long time ago when I still had brown hair.
Danny Blanton one of the last gentleman left on earth has done wonders for the saltwater flyfishing sceane over the last 30 years or so. Also contributing greatly to fly pattern designs.

The other photo is of a I called ' Denmark slider' a type of half a Bob Poppavics design which was the real killer on Togas in the NT. Tied with real Australian Merrino wool which gave it a great floating ability in the Lillies of the Billabongs.
Yes Barry was a great skipper first met him when he took the 58 footer I think it was (Blackwatch) over to broome for one of the first Sail fish fly comps that Col Roberts started while he was the magistrait of the area.

There are a lot of kean Photographers on this site and they would do them selves a favour by buying the Fish mag 'FISHING WILD' simply put one of the best Austarlian photographers we will ever see. Thank God he loves to fish and has brought many action photos of our fish species.

I could go on forever but the memory is not to good these days and might slip up on names and flies If I have anyone out of context Im sorry. Im shore Tommo will put me striat as he is the man at the moment living the dream. I envey him at the moment.

Cheers Wayno

P.S Kim I could never weave like that last fly, tried it a few times but the fingers always got in the way. A great Dalberg mate.
Attachments
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG (67.62 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG (59.59 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Last edited by UPTHETOP on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 am

Hi Wayno.
UPTHETOP wrote:The Dalbergs were and still are one of my favourite flies. I was addicted to the togas for years in the Territory and tied hundreds of them I recone.
Would'nt know how to now its been to long. Named after the famous Larry Dalberg a great friend of Lefty's. I first saw these flies when Lefty come out to Australia and spent some time with your great mate Harro, Bretto. Man that was a long time ago when I still had brown hair.
There was an article in the "Australian Angler/Fishing World" on how to to time some time ago. Made some, took them fishing, discovered Tarpon liked them.
UPTHETOP wrote:There are a lot of kean Photographers on this site and they would do them selves a favour by buying the Fish mag 'WILD FISH' simply put one of the best Austarlian photographers we will ever see. Thank God he loves to fish and has brought many action photos of our fish species.
Would that be Peter Morse?
UPTHETOP wrote:... a Bob Poppavics design ...
Silastic Silicon Poppers. Very attractive to Queenfish. :D
Grahame.

UPTHETOP

#26 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Grahame yes you know your flies alright.
I loved Bob Pop's flies one of the first men who broke away from traditional patterns and thought outside of the box.

Sorry my mistake Grahame not Peter, Col Roberts. mag' FISHING WILD.'

Dare I say Col is bounds ahead in my opinion.

His first mag.

Cheers Wayno
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG (97.41 KiB) Viewed 5357 times

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Wayne.
UPTHETOP wrote:Sorry my mistake Grahame not Peter, Col Roberts. mag' FISHING WILD.'
Now I will have to go to the Newsagency (or order direct). So do you have articles in them and which edition?

Just watched the video on the Zambezi and the Tiger Fish. ANSA members should recognise that fish as that is where the logo came from and that was a long time ago.
Grahame.

kimall

#28 Post by kimall » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Well it seems I may be able to let you guys in on a bit of a secret..
The guy that made the crab fly first was not called Del Merkin as most people think his name was Del Brown.
The Merkin was an item made way back in history to be worn by Ladies of the night so to speak.
It had a similar shape to the crab pattern so that is how the name came about.
If you need more info I can put a little video link up..mmmm interesting. :wink:
Cheers KIM

Guy Layton

#29 Post by Guy Layton » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Great looking flies guys, there is some real talent amongst you all... 8)

I am too scared to great my flies out of the shed..... I am afraid that it may reignite a passion I cannot stop... :lol:

Cheers Guy

UPTHETOP

#30 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Kim ahh yes you are right Del Brown, excuse the grey matter it is old and weary.
He was a good friend I think of Flip Pallot I hope I got that one right at least.
He used Del's crab pattern for many successful permit caught.
Thanks for correcting me mate.

The memmories are flooding back..

Cheers Wayno