If you need a courier service from the U.S....

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Dodger

If you need a courier service from the U.S....

#1 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 am

....try DHL.

I needed to use a courier service, rather than the post, to get my 2-piece take-down longbow from the U.S. to India.

FedEx and UPS initially quoted $150.00 and $160.00 respectively. Yesterday (Tuesday), FedEx quoted $199.00. Fortunately, the bowyer decided to try DHL and was quoted $85.00 and they said the bow would be delivered by Friday. However, since it is being sent today, I hope to have it by Saturday or this coming Monday.

In the past I have used DHL twice to import uptide rods and their service has been good. Here's hoping the bow arrives safe and sound and I hope the above is of help to some of you.

Dodger

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: If you need a courier service from the U.S....

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 am

I wonder what the price would be for a one-piece?
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Dodger

#3 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm

DHL did not accept the parcel as they consider a bow to be a weapon. :roll:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Dodger wrote:DHL did not accept the parcel as they consider a bow to be a weapon.
What a joke, that is disgusting!!! :shock: :x Your bow maker should put in a complaint to the hierarchy of the company.

Jeff

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Wow .....
That is just plain ol' silly .

Fed Ex and USPS usually run at about $190-$220 for 1 piece to Melbourne Australia ... $55 for a 2pce .

Dodger

#6 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I totally agree. What is equally annoying is that this nonsense is now taking root in the U.S. as well.

Nate has his hands full but I will ask him to send a stiffly worded e-mail to DHL.

Dodger

#7 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:49 pm

wishsong wrote:Fed Ex and USPS usually run at about $190-$220 for 1 piece to Melbourne Australia ... $55 for a 2pce .
The USPS quote to India was $50.00 but I do not want to use the postal system for this package.
As per the online FedEx calculator, the cost of sending a 2-piece longbow to India works out to approximately US $160.00, so I wondered where they got the $199.00 figure from.

Benny Nganabbarru

#8 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry to hear it. What a bad joke.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

slvrslngr

#9 Post by slvrslngr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Why'd you tell them it's a bow? It's none of their business what you're sending as it's not a restricted item by any law. If they absolutely need to know, you tell them it's sporting equipment. Also, I'd have DHL show you in writing their policy regarding weapons and how archery equipment qualifies. It's entirely possible that the DHL employee you talked to inflicted their personal ideas about what is and isn't a "weapon". Good luck.

Dodger

#10 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 pm

I had asked the bowyer (Nate) to declare the bow as 'Sporting Equipment' but he may have forgotten or may have been asked to specify the actual content of the parcel.

The place Nate took the bow to in Tulsa, OK (Mail Hog) apparently deals with various couriers. The lady in charge of the shop had quoted $85.00 but when the DHL rep turned up later in the day, he said they (DHL) consider a bow to be a weapon and wouldn't carry it.

The lady at the shop has informed Nate that she can send the parcel via FedEx for $100.00 This may be because they have an account with the various courier companys and get a discount, whereas those without an account would have to pay a higher charge.
It's entirely possible that the DHL employee you talked to inflicted their personal ideas about what is and isn't a "weapon".
That wouldn't surprise me in the least and I could ask Nate to argue the point but he has work on his hands and it would be decidedly unfair to waste his time. Besides which I do not want DHL to accept the package if they are uncomfortable with it and there then being a problem and delay later on. However, I will write to DHL asking for their company policy vis-a-vis archery items and bows in particular.

Cheers!

SouthTexasPighunter

#11 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Just spoke to a DHL rep who echoed that bows are considered weapons and will not be shipped. I asked if it was in thier policy and yes was the answer. Funny things is the are always shipping electronics, processor chips and things of that nature, now correct me if I'm wrong but technically they electronic devices are items that can and are used to detonate explosives and are also used for NBC weapons on a grand scale as the brains of the weapon itself. But they are worried about shipping a Traditional bow because they consider it a weapon because it casts a single arrow. Talk about hypocritical. :evil:
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

Dodger

#12 Post by Dodger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, STP.

slvrslngr

#13 Post by slvrslngr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Too bad, the stupidity of the situation is remarkable. Considering you can ship firearms via the USPS, UPS, and FedEx (within the US), it's hard to fathom why any company wouldn't ship a bow. Guess you'll have to use another carrier. Ugh.