Cheap bow to start trad journey

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jesse1987

Cheap bow to start trad journey

#1 Post by jesse1987 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 am

What is a cheap but good bow to start off with.being on a tight budget really sucks but hey that's life . I have a 70 pd bear grizzly my wife bought which is left handed but I'm right handed.I'm really itching to Start shooting trad please help

excelpoint

Re: Cheap bow to start trad journey

#2 Post by excelpoint » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 am

Have a look at the Samick range mate. Out of all the ones I have had or shot I liked the Volcano best.

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Keep an eye on the Trade Blanket forum here, too Jesse. Fairly generous offers come up all the time and it wont be long before you see a bow that appeals to you.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Some of those old Bears are not only cheap, they are also as classic as a bow can get, and nicer than the Korean bows. Check-out the link to Raptor Archery in that thread I posted on the Ozbow Trade Blanket about all the old Bears they've got for sale. You might get something nice for $380 including shipping, or up to $450, which isn't too bad, even with monstrous shipping costs. I for one would choose an old Bear over a new Korean any day.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

slvrslngr

#5 Post by slvrslngr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Put a WTB (Want to buy) add in the classifieds here. Be sure to include what price range, draw weight (I'd recommend about 40 pounds), and style (recurve or longbow) you're looking for. Also make sure to get the right arrows (once you get a bow we can help you sort out the arrows if the seller doesn't). Nothing is more frustrating than having poor flying arrows.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:26 pm

slvrslngr wrote: Put a WTB (Want to buy) add in the classifieds here. Be sure to include what price range, draw weight ...... and style (recurve or longbow) you're looking for.
I'll second that. Also give those details here and someone may have a bow that would suit you. :D

Jeff

jesse1987

#7 Post by jesse1987 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Haha one problem I have no idea lol with compound I was 28.5 drawlength but no idea bout trad

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Jesse,

What weight compound did you shoot as you would probably be best to start with a Trad bow maybe 10# lighter. Your draw length will probably shorten using a Trad bow and shorten up to two inches if shooting a longbow and canting the bow etc. Would you like to shoot a recurve or a longbow? A recurve is said to be easier to get used to when coming from a compound. If possible try and get to a club near you that has a number of Trad shooters and see if you can try some bows to see what you like. Have a think about those things and if you come up with some answers or more questions we should be able to guide you further.

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#9 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Where do you live? You might find somebody who can help you get measured and try a few bows.

smr

#10 Post by smr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm

I to was on a tight budget and bought one of these http://www.ozhuntingandbows.com.au/arch ... wn-recurve
I like it, but this is my first bow and haven't shoot a nice expensive bow to compare it to !
I can not find anything about Ragim red falk on the net, so if anyone here has used one and can let us know if it's any good or not ?

Steve

Benny Nganabbarru

#11 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Bows like you have will perform quite well enough to shoot accurately and fast, and kill an appropriate feral animal. The design of that bow compared to the expensive bows isn't so different. The performance difference wouldn't be much. The difference is in the quality and workmanship, and, from what I've seen and heard, you are more likely to suffer a blow-up from a cheap bow than from a custom bow. They are a bit slap-dash with the glue, it seems to me.

Axefanatic

#12 Post by Axefanatic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:27 pm

My second bow is a "ChekMate" recurve made in Canada (I only have 2 bows so far :( )

From what a few guys at the club have said, and my experience with the bow I have, these things are awesome for the price.

Workmanship is good, and they shoot great.

Got mine from G+M Archery in the states, IIRC I spent about $400 for a Falcon 1 piece, spare flemish string, and a dozen built arrows in the "carbon wood" style. Wish I had know about these guys before I bought my first Samick 'curve, theres a HUGE difference in quality and feel.

Theres not a lot on the website, so if you have a particular need , email him for a list of whats on hand. Or you can check out Recurves.com for a better idea of the range or order a custom.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

wishsong

#13 Post by wishsong » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:04 pm

A second hand bear in 45#-50# covers an enormous amount of ground ... field, hunting etc and will shoot about as good as many of the top end customs around . You can still find them relatively cheap and in good condition .
Ditto Howatt , Pearson and Wing
They have probably put more game on the ground than any other bow s combined.

Let us know how you go ...

Then you can realise the error of your ways and get a longbow ... :mrgreen:

Benny Nganabbarru

#14 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Give me an old Bear over a new Korean / Chinese / Taiwanese bow any day.

SouthTexasPighunter

#15 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Another bow line that has been overlooked is Martin Archery. Gale Martin has been building stickbows since I believe the 40's or 50's. I have several friends that bought Martin X-200's and love them as far as recurves go. Good entry level bows with a warranty and the Martin family stand behind thier products. I have owned two of them and wish I hadnt traded the last one. Just a thought from over the water.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

bigbob

#16 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 pm

SouthTexasPighunter wrote:Another bow line that has been overlooked is Martin Archery. Gale Martin has been building stickbows since I believe the 40's or 50's. I have several friends that bought Martin X-200's and love them as far as recurves go. Good entry level bows with a warranty and the Martin family stand behind thier products. I have owned two of them and wish I hadnt traded the last one. Just a thought from over the water.
STP
Have to agree about Martins, but shock !horror!, my only experiences with this maker have been with 'wheelie bows' Seems people, particularly stateside love to crap on martins but they have been the game for a long while and make good gear.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com