World Archery (formerlyFITA) 3D Championships

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am

Morning All.

This is a copy of a posting on Archery-Forum.

I am pleased to announce that Merrilyn Sheather (compound) and Kevin Girard (longbow) will represent Australia at the 2011 World Archery 3D Championships in Austria.
They will be wearing the archery equivalent of a baggy green cap!

The championships start on the 31st of August.

We wish them good luck, straight shooting and an enjoyable experience.

Trudy Scott,
on behalf of the Archery Australia Field Committee.
Well done Kevin - will they be supplying Tim-Tams.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jcm

Re: World Archery (formerlyFITA) 3D Championships

#2 Post by jcm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Thank you Grahame for posting the news.
Congratulations to both reps.
Kevin-
Some Chocolate Treats to consider when over there -
Bensdorp,
Apple Strudel Chocolate
Amicelli
Zotter- Graumohn -Kirsch.

Parcel should be in the post to you on Friday- will include some Tim Tams for trading purposes with the "foreigners".
Regards

John

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Congratulations Kevin, well done, and to Merrilyn as well. Have a great time in Austria.

Cheers........... Rod

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Afternoon Again.

Some general stuff:

The website for the event - http://www.fita-wm.com/ Have a look = countryside looks just like Kev's home area of the Blue Mountains. :shock:

A video of some 3D at the site - just like the stuff we regularly see in Qld. :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTfZlh_SLGg

Some Video of the 2009 Championships in Italy - not at all what I am used to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQcMvsaiFu0

For those use to 3DAAA the FITA Rules http://www.fita-wm.com/images/pdfs/faq_3d.pdf

Kev - post photos and running scores, etc.. No photos and there could be an interesting time at the next Trad Shoot.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Congratulations Kev, I will be rooting for you! :D Do us proud :D

alaninoz

#6 Post by alaninoz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Kev:

You should have a good time, but there's some stiff competition. Christian Wilhelmstaetter won the IFAA World Bowhunting Championship at Wagga Wagga earlier this year. I met him briefly and he seems like a nice bloke - speaks pretty good English, as did most of the Austrians who were there. Doesn't mind a beer either.
Alan

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Congrats Kev :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Congratulations Kev and enjoy!!!

Jeff

Gilly

#9 Post by Gilly » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Well done Kev!!!

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 pm

way to go Kevin you must be chuffed...well done :) and also to Merrilyn. Hope you get a chance to keep us "posted" on site here, so to speak. Take lots of photo's and have a great time.
Gosh, what an experience.
cheers
sue

longbowinfected

#11 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks everyone. A special thanks goes to John Mc Donald who has done me proud. A lot of people have really helped. Another special thanks to Steve Farrell for making my bows and the support of my fellow club members.i

over 50 male longbowers, there are 27 countries competing. Male longbow is a bigger group than the other bow types. Really looking forward to this after a pretty rugged year or so.

Grahame, they are setting up free wireless hubs so for once I hope to have some pix and a daily report.

What a great opportunity to chew things over with fellow FITA longbowers with a view to discussing moving long bow forward even if it takes ten years.

Stevo, not too sure about rooting, why not just cheer?

Steve Morley the current FITA world champ longbower will be there too......big challenge. My first step is to try to get past the qualifying/elimination round or at the least shoot some PBs trying.
No matter what I am going to have fun and enjoy the moment.

I think this is the first AA team that was open to Archery Alliance members which I think is a very positive thing....no disrespect to archers who only wish to shoot trad or hunt unaligned in local clubs like HVTA and Wisemans Ferry etc.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Roadie

#12 Post by Roadie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Good Luck Kev, as they say Kick As===. Cheers Roadie.

Dodger

#13 Post by Dodger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

No matter what I am going to have fun and enjoy the moment.
If you can stick to your script, you'll do well.
All the best.
Dodger

UPTHETOP

#14 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 am

Kev congradulations will be worth the experience just to be there and enjoy the moment.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 am

Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:Grahame, they are setting up free wireless hubs so for once I hope to have some pix and a daily report.
Yeah... just remember this is OzBow we are talking about here and not AA. No pix and daily report and you will have everyone on your back....... plus the Tim Tam Team will be ready for your pack-up and if you thought last year was bad.....
longbowinfected wrote:Steve Morley the current FITA world champ longbower will be there too......big challenge.
So is he still shooting for Estonia? BTW I believe that he shoots one of Andy Soars bows - Check it out. (Naturally not quite up there with the Farrell stick. :D ) I have a thing about Blackbrook Bows. He also shoots a Saluki apparently - you will have lots to talk about. :D
longbowinfected wrote: I think this is the first AA team that was open to Archery Alliance members which I think is a very positive thing....
This is actual proof that Hell has frozen over.

Addenda
News Article http://www.nambuccaguardian.com.au/news ... 54616.aspx
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 am

Steve still shoots with Estonia but GB has a longbower in their team this year so things have changed a bit with the GB body in charge I suppose.

My camera is already packed and I now have a netbook which makes it easier. I suspected that the TT party hierarchy/politburo would not brook recalcitrant behaviour such as "nopix".

Not only does the place look like where I live but the temperature is the same albeit the altitude is 600 metres higher. I ordered shorts for my uniform.....Jim Larven double blinked when I did. I suppose there will not be many people wearing shorts and Tee shirt.
Place is pretty close [by Australian standards] to Switzerland where my people came from.

Last championships a couple had the same spelling in their surname.......but they were French.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Steven J

#17 Post by Steven J » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am

Congratulations Kev! Judging by the photos on the link from Grahame (thanks!) you will need a caddy or a small donkey to help you around.

The scenery looks beautiful. Don't slip and make a divot in the turf. It looks like they have a gardener for each of the paddocks to keep things up to scratch and he might not be to impressed :wink:

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

wishsong

#18 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Awesome Kev ... good luck mate and hope your back up bow ain't needed .. but if so :mrgreen:

Show Mr Morley how its done !
[ He is actually , from what little interaction I have had with him , a very nice bloke .. he just needs an Aussie lefty to show him how its done !]

robmoore

#19 Post by robmoore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:24 pm

longbowinfected wrote:Thanks everyone...
Kev
All the best Kev. We will look forward to hearing about it.

Regards

Bob

Brumbies Country

#20 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Well done Kev

It is really great to see Australian representation at these 3D World Championships and best wishes that it all goes really well for you.

Simon

White Hawk

#21 Post by White Hawk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 pm

A super effort Kev, my congratulations to you, and I look forward to following your progress. Have a great time, in a beautiful part of the world. You deserve it mate.

cheers

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

longbowinfected

#22 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Anyone here collect archery logo patches like Arthur Fisk?
I will have to take some & swap some Ozzie ones to get some foreign ones for him.
As long as it does not get out of hand, if a couple of desperates want to send me a half dozen of their badges, I will try to get swaps for them.

Jeff, excuse my ignorance but is there an Ozbow badge/patch. I am ataching my club badge to each uniform as well as a Traditional Archery Australia badge. If you have a couple mght be worthwhile letting them know where we hang out....just a thought...happy to pay for em if available.

I am also taking a large number of knapped points to give people who are extra friendly, especially if they are longbowers.

Kev

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks Kev but no, I don't have any patches or you would have been most welcome to a couple.

Jeff

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 am

Hi All.

I wonder what If Kev did a dance?

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/ ... chery.aspx
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#25 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I did not sleep with my uniform but When I practise I wear my AA Aussie baseball cap.
I did get excited. Did anyone notice the earth tremor when I did a little jiggle/wiggle/shimmie.
I used to compete at ballroom and other dancing.......I am a fair bit bigger now and would be likely to injure someone now.
Have to say, I know how she feels.

I am going to print that and tell her we had a chuckle in Oz....I reckon she would be gobsmacked.

Kev

jcm

#26 Post by jcm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

They felt the Earth move in New York.
So what was the dance step you used?
Have a Golden One
Regards
John

robmoore

#27 Post by robmoore » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:07 pm

longbowinfected wrote:I did not sleep with my uniform but When I practise I wear my AA Aussie baseball cap.
I did get excited...
Kev
Only a few days to go Kev... but we wouldn't want you to feel under any pressure. :)

All the best.

Regards
Bob

longbowinfected

#28 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:58 am

no pressure Bob...just a few hundred archers, a few thousand spectators and numerous cameras. and at the pointy end of the shoot if you are good enough it becomes one on one matchplay... just to rev it up a bit.....no where to hide at any point...just have to play my own game and forget about the rest. I am really looking forward to it. Shooting two days State titles for FITA field Saturday and Sunday just to make sure I do not get rusty over the next couple of days.

Kev

robmoore

#29 Post by robmoore » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 am

longbowinfected wrote:no pressure Bob...just a few hundred archers, a few thousand spectators and numerous cameras...

Kev

I saw part of a tele article about Keith Miller - former successful cricketer and fighter pilot. Someone had recorded a interviewer asking him why he never appeared to feel stress. He said "Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your a__e at 200 feet. After that, nothing else is pressure!”

And in your own way, you know better than most how to relate to his remarks. :)

Regards
Bob

longbowinfected

#30 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

good day, it is 8:30 am local, your time 2:30 pm , 14 hours after leaving sydney, temperature 4v0 something. had a great result at the state field shooting 252 to set me up for this shoot coming. merrilyn sitting nearby. all ok. sick of air conditioning. not looking forward to the next six hour flight. kev