Fox whistle/ call

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sidious

Fox whistle/ call

#1 Post by Sidious » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Guys, what fox calls do you use, i have the old button whistle but have heard there are better devices out there now.

Thanks
Shawn

Tommo

Re: Fox whistle/ call

#2 Post by Tommo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:26 am

What Tony said and throw in the Scotch predator call. It was always great at calling in foxes from long ranges as it is a very loud call. Works on dingoes and cats too.

dalbyboy

#3 Post by dalbyboy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:42 pm

tjensen wrote:I saw one on the weekend that's just a doubled over bit of tin with a hole in it and the guy selling it (for $45) has 255 foxes for the year.
Tony
WHAT!!! :!: :!: I made myself one of them for nothing!
They're a "Tenterfield Style whistle". Search that on youtube and then make a bundle selling them for $45!!
Works for foxes and I have called in cats and even hares.
They are bloody good whistles but they're not worth that much
Take nothing but trophies,
leave nothing but blood trails.

ABA Member
Darling Downs Field Archers

SouthTexasPighunter

#4 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:14 am

I've seen some of those whistles and I like the simplicity. No wires or speakers to mess with. I know a bunch of fellas here that spend a small fortune on varmint calling systemsand most do no better than I do using my cheap handheld tubes and whistles. I have one electronic that I think I paid 30 dollars for and I think its great. Its called in badgers racoons bobcats coyotes and even sow pigs. During the late winter and early spring I spend most of my time hunting pigs and varmints simply because the pelts are fuller and less likely to have bald spots on them and I'd be willing to say that at least 90 percent of the animals I have taken have been with manual calls and not electronic ones. I do alot of trading in skins that I tan myself for quivers and possibles bags and such since the fur value is nowhere near what it used to be. Would one of you fellas be willing to trade a fox whistle for on of my favorite type varmint callers? Its somethin new and if these critters havent heard it before I believe they may just come in on the run. :D Anyway its nice to see other fellows taking out the varmint population.
All Gods best you you and yours.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 am

South Texas ,howdy by the way; If you google up Tenterfield fox whistle you will see the vid on how to make your own. Its simply a piece of bent over tin with 2 holes of differing diameters through it. It takes squillions of foxes here, and will cost practically zero.Might have to experiment a little as any difference in diamensions results in a different 'pitch'
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

SouthTexasPighunter

#6 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks Big Bob I will check it out. Do yall have Reds or Greys(foxes)? Down here where I am at we have predominately Greys with the reds being farther Northeast in the Pines of East Texas. We do have ALOT of Coyotes and a very good populous of Bobcats.
STP

Keith Lee

#7 Post by Keith Lee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Yes the simple things work well i've seen the Tenterfield caller made from a beer can or two used shotgun shells the brass bits cut off and put together tape the firing caps out. :mrgreen:

SouthTexasPighunter

#8 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:41 pm

I just saw it and saved it to my favorites. I will be making a few of those. We will see how they come out and what they do to these Song Dogs down here.
STP

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 pm

I use the good old tin whistle as well as making them out of steel packing strip ( the steel band to hold stuff on pallets) with a hole in each side I think it is the same as the Tenterfield Style whistle. I have also use a .22 shell. Hav tryed one of the predator calls but it just seems to scare them awy.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Tommo

#10 Post by Tommo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 am

woodie wrote: Hav tryed one of the predator calls but it just seems to scare them awy.
woodie
Maybe they had experienced the call before and associated it with humans/hunters?

The 'Scotch' version predator call was certainly the go to caller for myself and mates in Southern NSW. Called in twenty three foxes in a single day using it. Took it to the territory where it worked on the dingo, called in a couple of cats with it too while hunting for fox.
Sure it is going to work on the grey fox where I am now too. Best LOUD call I have ever used and lots of different sounds can be made, full on screaming squawks, to tiny, subtle squeaks with a finger in the end of it to tempt a shy one in.
Best call around for foxes IMHO, but like anything when you are confident with something you tend to use it more. We would never go out without a tin whistle, but we never used it anywhere near as much as the squawker!

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 am

You could do a lot worse than one of Jeffros beauties! :D - http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... ilit=Penny
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

the irish one

#12 Post by the irish one » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I use a cass creek electronic call works really well getting them in, only problem is it also has calls for hare rabbit fawn pup squawks and coyote howl, it makes em nearly turn inside out when you hit the howl at close quarters by mistake :roll: :oops:

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Cant remember what it was called [ maybe just predator call?] but made one from 2 pieces of timber 'bout 3/8'' square and 3'' long. Each piece has been whittled on one side to within 1/2'' of each end. They are whittled down by about 1/8'' in depth, each piece is then stacked on each other with the gaps created on the facing sections making a narrow gap running near the length ,then a rubber band is wrapped around one end to hold them together, and another band about 1/4'' wide stretched along and around the top piece making a thin 'reed between the two.. Depending on the pitch wanted this band is drawn tight to effect the desired note and then a second band is placed around other end to secure . It is placed to the lips and air expelled through the gap. A suprising variety of calls can be made and apparently have called in every thing from coyotes to deer to elephants! Some animals that have responded to some people calling include rabbits and hares!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:48 pm

I've been using one of the plain button fox whistles for many years. It has called in heaps of foxes over the years. I've noticed that many foxes hightail it out of the area when they hear this whistle. I'd say they have been fooled before and survived somehow. With this in mind I've decided to try some other types. When I was a kid, we used to make our fox whistles out of the bases of two shotgun shells, with the primers knocked out and then pushed together. Back in those days the bases were made out of solid brass. These days they're plain steel that has been brass plated, which will rust. I'll have to ask around to see if I can find a couple of older 12 gauge cartridges.

In the meantime, I've ordered one of the electronic Cass Creek electronic calls to try out. Hopefully the wily foxes around here haven't heard one before.

Are there any other types of fox whistles/calls out there that I should know about?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Dennis La Varenne

#15 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 pm

You can't go past the old tin whistle without paying absurd money for the same result. But you can get a very flash version of the tin whistle here http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=46507 made from old Australian penny coins.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

wal

#16 Post by wal » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:51 pm

They sell those pe nny whisles for about $15 at our local Post Office...........never had much jot with them though :roll: