Mounted Archery

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

abubain

Mounted Archery

#1 Post by abubain » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi All

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is shooting bows off the back of a horse?

I've just started recently and the amount of information about mounted archery is very limited so would love to touch base with any like minded archer/horse people out there at any level of experience. Its always good to hear what's working and what's not.

Cheers

bigbob

Re: Mounted Archery

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Neigh not me! :P :P :roll: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:23 pm

A few of the medieval jousters who joust at the Ironfest at Lithgow [and other centres] are into mounted archery. Contact the organisers of some of the medieval fairs as well.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Gilly

#4 Post by Gilly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm

I would LOVE to try this!!!

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Now, I'm certainly not the bloke to do this, as I don't know the front end of a horse from the back end, and am so uncoordinated that even if I did I'd fall off at a slow walk. But I know a man to bring back the true spirit of Howard Hill, of the Comanche (et al) and of the Mongol: That man is Ozbow's own Tony "Dances-with-Boars" Jensen. I can envisage him galloping across the plains alongside a water buffalo, with his Barry Johnson whizzing those deadly-though-somewhat-girly-pink-looking arrows into the beast's flank. I'm only half joking. Another fellow I reckon could do this is an Aborigine church pastor whom I learned to bowhunt with, but he shot a compound. Given the chance, this bloke and Tony could do it.

:D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

slvrslngr

#7 Post by slvrslngr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Here's some yabusame (mounted archery, samurai style) from Japan (not my pics, these are way better than what I took). These were taken in Kamakura where I lived for a few years and I was able to see this in person. There's some YouTube video out there as well. It's just for demonstration, but takes some serious skill, very cool to watch and the regalia is amazing.

http://photo.mellbin.com/Events/Event-2 ... 8462_frSWm

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 am

Morning All
abubain wrote: I've just started recently and the amount of information about mounted archery is very limited so would love to touch base with any like minded archer/horse people out there at any level of experience. Its always good to hear what's working and what's not.

Cheers
There is huge amounts of information on "Horse Archery" out there. Do a search for Kassai's publications as a starter.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

abubain

#9 Post by abubain » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks Grahame

I have a copy of Kassai's book and have read it twice. It's long on Philosophy and short on technical info although I do like the philosophy (Very Kyudo influenced).

Bent Stick

#10 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am

No advice here, tried it off a motorbike once, how well do you reckon that went
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

SouthTexasPighunter

#11 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Try a google search on the World Horsebow Events in Japan and I believe they had a tournament here in the states. A fella from Hungry seems to be the authority on it. Hope this helps.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

MarkG

#12 Post by MarkG » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Primitive Archery magazine did a series on horse archery a while ago. I fished around and found Dec/Jan 2009-2010 has part 2, I didn't get the issue before and it says there is a part 3 ( don't know if there are any more after that). But the fella that wrote the articles put in his email address, you could try him. jayredhawk (at) rocketmail (dot) com If you contact primitive archer you could probably get back issues of his series.

TomMcDonald

#13 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm

bigbob wrote:Neigh not me! :P :P :roll: :lol: :lol:
Stop horsing around.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

wishsong

#14 Post by wishsong » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:46 am

I have "bow broke" one of my horses ... didn't take that long ... just slow and gentle. Start fro the ground , rattling quivers etc , then introduce the bow slowly .
Once atop the horse , a bit more quiver rattling etc , 1/8th bow string pulls ... gently .

I'd use a horse that has been bombproofed previously ...take a bunch of the guess work out

Mind you...I'm sure there are better bows to do it with than a 68" Howard Hill!

Brumbies Country

#15 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi abubain

I sent you the Primitive Archer scan MarkG is referring to a couple of months ago. As you know I'm keen to get going again with this. When I tried it a fair while ago at a canter off my endurance horse it wasn't too bad. Mind you that is very different to the flat chat gallop shown in some of the Utube clips. I girl called Paula was enquiring about mounted archery on another Australian archery site a couple of months ago and that got a bit of feedback. That site has since been hacked and I'm not sure I'll be able get access to it. If Grahame A sees this he may be able to advise me how to retrieve it.

Rumour has it that you are progressing nicely re this.

Brumbies Country

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Simon.

As I understand it the material that has been lost on the hacked sites is gone forever.

IMHO those that are interested in Horse Archery would do better if they posted their location.

There seems to be a growing interest in "Horse Archery". My interest stops at the horse part of it - dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle. There were a couple of interested people at the Abbey this year.

It is rumored that there may be a group forming in SE Qld. Which is of very little value for those living in Victoria.

Grahame.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#17 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Grahame

I did think that was the situation re the hacking and thank you. I agree that those interested in horse archery would serve the cause well by detailing their location. Obviously there are big advantages in horse archery aspirants who are in reasonable proximity getting together and they wont know they are in proximity if they don't post locations.

abubain happens to be my son and he lives in SE Queensland. I need to give him a stern father/son talking to :lol: re the necessity of posting locations on Ozbow.

Simon

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Well it took a while for the truth to come out Simon, Does your wife know about him? Steve

GrahameA

#19 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Simon.
Brumbies Country wrote:I agree that those interested in horse archery would serve the cause well by detailing their location. Obviously there are big advantages in horse archery aspirants who are in reasonable proximity getting together and they wont know they are in proximity if they don't post locations.

abubain happens to be my son and he lives in SE Queensland. I need to give him a stern father/son talking to :lol: re the necessity of posting locations on Ozbow
Okay so why was he not at the Abbey????? Has he spoken to the Dragonstorm people????? If Paula is the Paula I am thinking of she is a local.

Crikey, people believe in making it hard for themselves.

Abu Bain. The Bain part makes sense and ABU Svangsta made great fishing reels once. :D Perhaps we need to work on him and get him making his own bows.
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#20 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Simon.
Brumbies Country wrote:I agree that those interested in horse archery would serve the cause well by detailing their location. Obviously there are big advantages in horse archery aspirants who are in reasonable proximity getting together and they wont know they are in proximity if they don't post locations.

abubain happens to be my son and he lives in SE Queensland. I need to give him a stern father/son talking to :lol: re the necessity of posting locations on Ozbow
Okay so why was he not at the Abbey????? Has he spoken to the Dragonstorm people????? If Paula is the Paula I am thinking of she is a local.

Crikey, people believe in making it hard for themselves.

Abu Bain. The Bain part makes sense and ABU Svangsta made great fishing reels once. :D Perhaps we need to work on him and get him making his own bows.
Morning Grahame

I'll let him speak re the Abbey and Dragonstorm people.

Don't need to work on him re making his own bows. He's already got a bit of mulberry, starting to put some tools together and is rearing to go. He's got some good people to talk to re bow making in your neck of the woods.

Simon

abubain

#21 Post by abubain » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 am

Wish I'd never started this now :lol:

I will update my profile I promise.

Brumbies Country

#22 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 am

Go on-you love it :lol: . There's some interesting info on a PM you were copied into.

Gilly

#23 Post by Gilly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Who's gonna lend me a horse?????