the UK Parliament

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

the UK Parliament

#1 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Comports itself with a dignity and civility that leaves the entire gang here for dead. Articulate, courteous and yet robus able to be robust without engaging in the sneering slanging match that characterises nearly every public aspect of what our taxpayer funded berks get up to. The current brit PM (and I am no conservative) is one of the best thinkers on his feet I have ever seen. If the UK Parliament is the mother of all Parliaments ours is the dysfunctional child with behaviour problems. I think the only similarity between the UK Commons and the House of Reps is the green seats and "Mr Speaker".
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: the UK Parliament

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm

To be honest, I don't know much about the UK Parliament. But I did read a book recently about Disraeli and Gladstone, and their rivalry. I understand the politicians back then enjoyed a few spirited discussions, with some shouting and ribald comments. I don't know what it's like these days.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 am

I agree on most of this, but sadly though John, they can still display cringe inducing obsequiousness to the rich. Why wasn't the revolting Wendy Deng charged with assault yesterday? The evidence is clear, she was filmed hitting that bloke, so why wasn't she charged? He should be too, he did assault Mr. Burns...Oops,sorry, Murdoch. But, whats the bet he is the only one charged? :roll:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Presumably acting in self defence - reasonable in all the circumstances - younger bloke attacking an 80 year old - cream pie notwithstanding, aint real sporting for mine.

I actually thought Rupert Murdoch comported himself with a great deal of decency and dignity. James, on the other hand, squirmed like a dog with a flea in the bum.

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 pm

I agree wholeheartedly re UK parliament and our own disrespectful adventure playground in Canberra.

Murdoch's possible criminality aside ... if was half his age and could still get a lass as stunning as Wendy Deng I'd be doing all right .

Its not like its about the money ... :mrgreen:

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 pm

looseplucker wrote: James, on the other hand, squirmed like a dog with a flea in the bum.
Never heard that line before! :lol:

Nah, I have to disagree here. To me Murdoch showed no dignity or decency, just more of the slimy buck passing I expect from his type. He refused to accept responsibility for what he approved and took the John Howard "I trusted my staff, but my staff didn't tell me" spineless defence , pretty lousy in my books. He's just plain evil and showed no mercy nor consideration to the parents of Milly Dowler! I wouldn't mind if they dragged him out into the street and handed him over to the homeless to deal with him! Hang, draw and quarter him...I'd pay to watch that! :twisted:

Deng should be charged, in the interests of fairness to all. You or I would have been. Let the courts decide if it was self defence, but why let her avoid the night or two in the watch-house we be forced to endure until bailed?

looseplucker

#7 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:03 pm

I dunno - seeing Ms Deng I figured it was reasonable self defence. And what was that clown doing trying to disrupt those proceedings in the first place? It was only going to garner support for the rich old codger. I have no real liking for Murdoch Snr at all - OK he did not accept responsibility but he said he was let down by people he trusted - that is the lingua franca these days of avoiding responsibility for things that happen on your watch. But you have to ask yourself - was he sincere when he apologised to the Dowler family - I suspect so - judging by the comments of the dead girl's parents lawyer. OK, I may be defending the profession here but on the principle that it takes a thief to catch a thief, someone who bends the truth for a living (lawyer) will recognise when a fellow BS artist (media) is BSing and when they are not.

On the strength of having interviewed witnesses, cross examined chrome-plated porkie merchants and mixed with some real sewer rats in my time (all of whom went to the right schools and have impeccable law degrees) I can say that Murdoch Snr did come across as measured and dignified. I did not detect too much in the way of dissembling although I do believe he came prepared to over apologise which is par for the course for corporate barons caught being naughty. It is the new black.

James looked very uncomfortable. He tended to try to ingratiate himself which is a sure sign of wanting to hold something back and moved around in his seat a lot - a reliable indicator of not wanting to be a stationary target (or sitting duck). We actually get taught this stuff as part of getting the ticket to practise and in advocacy training.

Anyhow, I'll say this, David Cameron is probably the best Parliamentary performer I have seen in many a year. Not too many could turn in that sort of performance under pretty intense pressure. I can only hope some of our oxygen thieves on the Hill were watching his - and other preformances - and particularly the respect for the Speaker.

wishsong

#8 Post by wishsong » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Charging a woman defending an 80 year old man who is her husband from an attacker ? Don't know how that would hold up ... its not as of she stabbed the guy with scissors :roll:
Also , not sure what the point of the pie throwing as ? Is it a protest action or test of skill attacking an octegenarian with pastry ? Either way .... exceedingly bad form . And thats coming from a guy with a very genuine dislike and mistrust of anything Murdoch related.
Rupert looked like a tired old dodgy media tycoon who didn't want to answer any questions . He played the 'blame game ' well ... James on the other hand seemed to squirm a bit .
As he should .

muntries

#9 Post by muntries » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

The dude throwing the pie was a small time UK comedian so probably a stunt to get punters in the doors of his shows no doubt.

I gotta say I was pretty appalled at the behaviour of the current pollies here at the moment, seems like politicians haven't been up to much here since the Bob Hawke days and the current lot are a bunch of snake tongued liars and that's both lots. But the UK parliament ain't much better, polite aye but still stab you in the back given half the chance and the insults are wrapped up in age old upper middle class snobbery. Still you got old school straight speakers like good old Dennis Skinner and Tony Benn (although I think he may have retired now...).
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 am

See, to me Murdochs age or whatever the idiot with the pie was doing, or Dengs motive or gender are irrelevant. Law is law and you can be guaranteed that if any one of us had reacted that way, taking the law into our own hands and dealing out physical retribution in a room where a parliamentary inquiry was being conducted we would have been arrested! She should have allowed the police in the room to... hold back for a sec :wink: ( The old stuffed shirt is the perfect person to be cream pied! That'll deflate him, the rancid blowhard he is! :lol: ) ... then deal with it. That's what we would have been told. We would also have been told to explain it to the magistrate and maybe he'll see it your way, but we would not have been feted and fawned over the way she was. We would have been arrested and hauled of to the watchouse for it. Hell, they probably would have tried to find a way to charge us with something terrorism related!
"Ooh! Mr. Murdoch will be pleased! Look very alarming and impressive in the headlines, that will!"

It's pusillanimous forlock tugging, she should have been charged! :x

Don't try to tell me it's not the money/power! :roll:

I can't help but wonder if they staged it to gain sympathy, or at least play the old magicians trick of distraction of attention...notice how the serious business of the inquiry suddenly became the sideshow to this nonsense?

And I'm sorry, but all I saw was the unedifying sight of two powerful, soulless, rich , evil men who encouraged a culture of bringing out the worst in News Int. employees to maintain high profit and influence, sit there and blame anyone but themselves for what they, mostly Murdoch Snr. are ultimately responsible for! The old wretch couldn't even fake contrition well! He looked to me like a man pretending, and not very well at that, to be experiencing remorse, but because he has had a lifetime of immunity from personal responsibility for the way his actions affect others, doesn't really know what it looks like! Did you see that frown? Pure pantomime!

No, there's nothing for it, he must be made example of! No one should have that level of wealth/power/influence, but certainly not real life Bond Villains like Murdoch!

Sadly, though, there are no more Robespierre's with the guts to implement the necessary policy! :wink: :D

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:32 am

Sorry Moreton but thats exactly what it is! If I hadn't seen something in person myself I would probably have the same doubt.
Moreton wrote:Don't try to tell me it's not the money/power!
These people people are bold enough to do this because the chances of anyone getting away with exposing them is not all that big. The experience I have witnessed first hand is they believe everyone else is stupid and they have covered all traces leading to them, nobody would have the guts to put their career at stake without enough solid proof. (sound theory)

I believe the only sorrow or regret these people feel is they weren't thorough enough covering their tracks. He will get out of it alright or with minimal damage, Michael Jackson is proof of that!

Money talks around just about anything. What is really scary is what about all the other things they have done that they haven't been or cant be caught out on?

Put any common Larry in the same position and over time he will need other thrills to entertain him. When you have everything and can afford everything what else can you do to ammuse yourself?

This is a bit of a thrill and risk he can brag about to his mates over a $10,000 bottle of wine.

These people need an Honourable hobby like Bow Hunting! maybe then they wont have to amuse themselves these petty selfish indulgences :wink:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:57 pm

hazard wrote:

These people need an Honourable hobby like Bow Hunting! maybe then they wont have to amuse themselves these petty selfish indulgences :wink:
Now, there's a statement we can ALL drink to! :D Here's to Hazard, Ozbows Unifier! 8) :D