Where to now?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jonow

Where to now?

#1 Post by jonow » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Last year around November, i had this idea of getting a bow for my eldest boy who was turning 6.
I bought a bow off a respected australian archery retailer. It is a Martin plastic recurve.
I did all of this before discovering Ozbow and as we live remote did not know too much at the time.
Since then I have become addicted to trad archery and bought myself a good second hand bow through contact on here :)
Now still not knowing much at all....
My boy has really enjoyed archery but now seems to have reached as far as that bow will take him (I might be wrong in this conclusion)
The bow was supposed to be from memory between 10-20 pounds, so who really knows what it is. He can pull it back to his full draw and he struggles to get the arrows to penetrate into anything much at all which frustrates him no end as they just seem to bounce off, even cardboard boxes.
My dilema is what now?
As I have a longbow he is determined to be different and have a recurve but wondered if any out there had any advice on what would be a suitable bow for the next step?
I had even wondered whether it is possible to get people to make wood limbs for his recurve but have no idea?
The unfortunate thing is we live quite remote and do not really have any access to equipment to try out unless we buy it etc.
Any advice would be greatly valued.

Jono
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

bear74

Re: Where to now?

#2 Post by bear74 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:16 pm

G'day Joni, I bought my kids the Mohegan recurves from great tree archery. They great bows for kids at a very good price. They have fantastic service for remote people, one of the limbs delaminated on the kids bow all I had to do was send a photo and sent me a whole new bow! The three bows from them that I have now are 2 years old and still going great

Bear
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Grab a pair of fishing scales or similar and weigh your lads bow at his draw length so you at least know what weight he is drawing. With knowing that you can decide what draw weight he could now handle. Once you have a draw weight and draw length you can then look at bows or at least discuss it with a supplier. Why not contact John (jcm on here) at AMSO 128 Archery supplies and see what he has as I believe he has bows that will cater for youngsters.

In relation to arrows, what type of points are on your son's arrows? Some points are not very pointy so don't penetrate targets very well.

Jeff

Dewi

#4 Post by Dewi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Get him a compound!

Hahahahaha

MarkG

#5 Post by MarkG » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Dewi, you really shouldn't swear like that here. Especially saying the "C" word! :evil:

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 pm

John Mcdonald (JCM) AMSO 128 is the safest and probably the cheapest answer to your problem. He gives very sound advice and is quite reasonably priced. I trust him greatly and he has wisely helped in the development of my childrens interest in Archery.
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

John has a little fibreglass recurve that allows left and right handed shooting and it is around 26 pound draw from memory. Nice easy to use and great value. I use it to introduce beginner trad shooters.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

dartonian

#8 Post by dartonian » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Jonow,
My advice is have a look at some different arrows, like Easton jazz for example... They are (relatively) cheap and for a low pound recurve you would prob be looking at 1214's which are a bit like knitting needles and offer much better penetration on the firmer targets. I have had the same issue with my 9yo getting frustrated at constant bounce outs... the jazz seemed to fix the problem to a fair degree.
Cheers
Paul

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 pm

My Jessica used 1416 Jaz from 26 pound through to 35 pound and they flew well even out to 40 metres for target. Tough little arrows. Pointy nibs rather than cone shaped ones. No bounce outs.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Dodger

#10 Post by Dodger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 am

Another vote for the Easton Jazz. My boys are also using 1416s and haven't had one bounce off yet.

Rock Steady

#11 Post by Rock Steady » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 am

We use the JAZZ arrows at the club for the beginners and cubs, they survive well and stick in with the low poundage club recurves.