new toy

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

new toy

#1 Post by looseplucker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm

After a few years faithful service traded up on the hilux 4x2 to the Mazda BT 50 4x4 - turbo diesel dual cab. Don't take delivery for a couple of weeks, but looking forward to NOT getting bogged on any hunting trips into the forseeable future.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: new toy

#2 Post by Bill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm

:D Congratulations.........Bill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

That should be a better hunting rig mate, congrats! :D

Jeff

excelpoint

#4 Post by excelpoint » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice. They have a pretty good rep. Should do the job nicely.

hazard

#5 Post by hazard » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:04 pm

You just need to think positive John "I will get bogged!" "I will get bogged!" "I will get bogged!" :P
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Congrats John, When you get it can you give us a review and some real world fuel economy figures? I have been toying with getting one of them or a Hilux. Steve

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:08 am

Good stuff John, I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it. I had a Bravo 4x4 for about 5 years and it never let me down once, I only upgraded to get more towing capacity.

Cheers......... Rod

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Nice rig Mate, well done

Gilly

#9 Post by Gilly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 pm

I hope its going to get mud on the roof on a regular basis and won't be used as a town tractor too much! :wink:

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 pm

I envy you, John, enjoy mate! :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

looseplucker

#11 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks for all of this mates.

Yeah - I'd had the hilux for nearly 10 years and they don't make them like they used to - I had to re-do the gear box bearings at 64,000kms as the bearing casings deteriorated - (and Toyota wouldn't extend the warranty). Am now at the point of some maintenance costs with new shocks, bushings work on the diff and gearbox and tyres and some other bits and pieces that I thought it might be better to trade up and get a 4x4. When I got the 4x2 there was a drought on and I could pretty much take it a lot of places, but now with a lot more water around it gets a bit dicey.

The young bloke wants to start going on the weekend fishing and hunting trips - and for him and me to get away together to where I want to take him a 4x4 is the only option.

It will be a much better hunting/fishing vehicle for sure and being diesel a lot more economical to run.

Gilly

#12 Post by Gilly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:16 pm

I bet you will get many years enjoyment out of that!
Looking forward to all the pics of the hunting trips! :mrgreen:

looseplucker

#13 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Derned right. Don't get it now until end July!!!!

Dammit.

TomMcDonald

#14 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am

John, do you have a spanking new toy yet? Or just a new spanking toy?
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

looseplucker

#15 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Got a call this morning - 7 to 10 days and the baby is mine!

Just a well given as the bank, which shall remain nameless but nonetheless associated with large fire breathing reptiles, sent out loan documents that got everything wrong except the address to which they sent it and my name and Morag's. Loan account numbers were wrong. Our home had suddenly become a security for something that it isnt, my wages, her wages, our superannuation, her savings from her redundancy - all wrong. And we are not talking minor typo stuff here. We actually sent them up to date documentation with the correct information highlighted. so how they faffed it up and so extensively is beyond me.

It then took 3 days to get a call back. Then a further 4 days for them to correct the errors in their system. I am advised the new documents were sent on Monday. Of course, no return phone call to advise.....and they said they could not guarantee that the whole thing would be processed in time - even though the delays were caused by them and their seeming inability to find their collective backsides with both hands.

You can bank on the wails.
Last edited by looseplucker on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomMcDonald

#16 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Hey John, bad luck. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted.

Funny, I know of a bank just like yours :P
Tom

hazard

#17 Post by hazard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Mee too!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

looseplucker

#18 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Well the new documents arrived. Nearly all correct. Stll got my wifes savings wrong but it must be so hard for a bank employee to read a bank statement, particularly of another institution so we must be fair.

And to be even fairer you can understand that even though they screwed up they cannot possibly fast track my document processing to meet the timetable that works for me that I planned with plenty of wiggle room. I mean, they must have thousands of other stuff ups to fix.

It would also be dreadfully unfair to tell you the name of the bank that has been so shoddy. So I won't mention that I would not recommend St George to anyone.

Xtfreak

#19 Post by Xtfreak » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:43 am

looseplucker wrote:Well the new documents arrived. Nearly all correct. Stll got my wifes savings wrong but it must be so hard for a bank employee to read a bank statement, particularly of another institution so we must be fair.

And to be even fairer you can understand that even though they screwed up they cannot possibly fast track my document processing to meet the timetable that works for me that I planned with plenty of wiggle room. I mean, they must have thousands of other stuff ups to fix.

It would also be dreadfully unfair to tell you the name of the bank that has been so shoddy. So I won't mention that I would not recommend St George to anyone.
Subtle.
Real Subtle :lol:
Hope it works out for you...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

TomMcDonald

#20 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 am

:o :o :o
Tom

looseplucker

#21 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

Xtfreak wrote:
looseplucker wrote:Well the new documents arrived. Nearly all correct. Stll got my wifes savings wrong but it must be so hard for a bank employee to read a bank statement, particularly of another institution so we must be fair.

Subtle.
Real Subtle :lol:
Hope it works out for you...
Bill
Not real original - Bill Bryson has done this a few times in his travel books....worked a treat apparently. But gee whizz, how hard can it be to enter data correctly?

And finally - did you know that with St George you can apply for a loan online and you can submit all your supporting documentation by email but you cannot, once the loan is approved lodge the formal documents by email. No, it has to go snail mail or by fax. No other options. They said they must go off the original. Err, the fax is not an original....and is no different from a pdf scan, but they apparently, I am not making this up, do not have a facility for uploading a .pdf into their system.....*** with Oak Leaf Cluster. I was given the usual blather, secuirty, privcy etc I told the bloke to put me back on hold as I would rather listen to Barry Manilow than him. He also made the helpful suggestion that I could drive from Canberra up to Kogarah to deliver in person if it was urgent (due to their errors)

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by kerry » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:33 am

man what a stuff up, you've obviously got more patience than me. i would have told them to bash their loan up that dragons backside by now.
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

looseplucker

#23 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:45 am

kerry wrote:man what a stuff up, you've obviously got more patience than me. i would have told them to bash their loan up that dragons backside by now.
I have not got the $ or the truck yet.

They'll keep. :evil:

hazard

#24 Post by hazard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 pm

I would be most happy to give an accurate ( albeit irate) recall of my experience to each and every person I meet if I were you John, any luck yet?

looseplucker wrote:It would also be dreadfully unfair to tell you the name of the bank that has been so shoddy. So I won't mention that I would not recommend St George to anyone.

looseplucker

#25 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Howdy

Well St George came through yesterday. I had to make a complaint though - which I did on Friday last and they asked me what I wanted:

1. A simple matter of fast tracking the loan so the $ entered my account by COB Tuesday; and
2. ensuring that the Rugby League team of the same name lost to the Raiders on the Monday night.

And both happened!!!!! Whooda thunk it? I have complimented them on their prompt follow thru and service delivery.

The car will be ready on Friday, unfortunately the bull-bar is delayed 3 weeks - but what the heck, I put 2000 extra km on the Hilux in the last month. If they say nothing about that re the trade in price (which can be reviewed, the contract notes) I'll say nothing about them failing to deliver the car in accordance with the contract - i.e. with all the accessories.

Still - I've built bows and tried to stalk deer....I know about frustration

hazard

#26 Post by hazard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:47 pm

It's about time :?

muntries

#27 Post by muntries » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Yeah - I'd had the hilux for nearly 10 years and they don't make them like they used to
telling me, my current hilux is the new model and not half as happy with it, my old model could pull a small ute mounted plough through a paddock without me ever worrying about getting bogged but this one may as well be a sedan with all the cup holders and fancy fittings.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

TomMcDonald

#28 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

We're waiting for pics Johnny boy.
Tom

looseplucker

#29 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Shortly boiz, shortly......4wd pickup tomorrow at 4:30pm

I was very unimpressed when the bearing casings on my hilux went bung at 64,000km - just out of warranty. They would not extend the warranty because I had not replaced with genuine parts.....hello....the genuines were substandard and the bloke from the gearbox said to use generics as the Toyota ones were inconsistent in terms of quality...

Anyhow I looked at the current range of Hilux' and determined they had priced themselves out of the market for what I wanted.

rodlonq

#30 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 pm

looseplucker wrote:Shortly boiz, shortly......4wd pickup tomorrow at 4:30pm

I was very unimpressed when the bearing casings on my hilux went bung at 64,000km - just out of warranty. They would not extend the warranty because I had not replaced with genuine parts.....hello....the genuines were substandard and the bloke from the gearbox said to use generics as the Toyota ones were inconsistent in terms of quality...

Anyhow I looked at the current range of Hilux' and determined they had priced themselves out of the market for what I wanted.
Yes John, I looked at the Hilux range about 5 years back and we ended up with an STX Navara. It has been very good and in fact last week Nissan replaced all 4 alloy rims on recall because of some issues with cracks. This surprised me considering it's age, but I guess an alloy rim flying apart is a major safety issue and should really outlast the vehicle.