experiment

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

experiment

#1 Post by ozzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am

well today i went out to a local dam on a tsr to have a practice with my fly rod,when i was leaving i decided to go the long way just for a look around,when i came over the hill one of the local pig hunters had dumped a couple of pigs that they had dogged.they didnt look that old so i got to thinking about my 46lb recurve and how would it go for penno on this boar of 40 to 50 kilo.i have been wondering for awhile just to know and feel confident that i had enough poundage to take an animal of this size. when i got home i grabbed the bow and took off back out there set the boar up so he was sitting up.result three shots broadside,first two at about 20 yards about 4 inches back from a heart shot got full penno but no pass through third shot quartering away about half way up body but in shoulder shield think i would have taken one lung out got about 5 inches of penno which is not enough in my book so lessons learned:-

naturally.... scary sharp broadheads

keep distances close as posible

wait for that quartering away shot to get that arrow away from the shoulder shield and down into the boiler room where it counts the most and i think the pig should be on the ground in no time

cheers mick

Gringa Bows

Re: experiment

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 am

you got it right with what you said about broady distance and shot placement,the bloke i do most of my hunting with ,uses a 47lb longbow that i made for him,and he's got a few big pigs over the last couple of years,he likes to get in close....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Yep, nice and close and quartering away should do it nicely. :D

Jeff

ozzy

#4 Post by ozzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm

it has been a real eye opener for me because when the shot entered the body i could actually see the arrow move around as it hit bone

Rock Steady

#5 Post by Rock Steady » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 pm

How heavy are your arrows?

ozzy

#6 Post by ozzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

rock i used to different type
first one
sitka spruce 45/49 shafts @29"with a 49gr 2"wood screw adaptor 125gr tuskers not sure of the arrow weight will get back to you on that one

second sitka spruce 50/55 @29"2"wood screw adaptor with 160gr tuskers total arrow weight is 535gr

mick

woody

#7 Post by woody » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:02 am

What style of broadhead was it, a 2 blade, 3 blade or 4 blade.

A 2 blade, cut on contact style, will always have more penetration if any bones are hit.

The angle of the blades also makes a big difference, a head 3 times as long as its wide ( 3:1 ratio ) is optimum as far as penetrating qualities goes.

Another thing not often considered, a 3:1 ratio broadhead is less likely to bone deflect/skip if the angle is not perfectly broadside.

I'm not saying its a big problem but it can happen occaisionally. It sounds like you saw a bit of arrow deflection off the rib bones.

An arrow penetrates the deepest when all its force is concentrated in a straight line forward, and energy is wasted when any force deflection sideways happens.

The design of the broadheads shape and blade style, front of center weight balance, and arrow mass can be as important a factor, if not more so than simply bow weight alone.

Its well worth reading Ed Ashbys research article on broadhead/arrow penetration.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.p ... forum;f=24

Also, sometimes a dead animals muscle tissue, if rigor mortis has set in, can be a much firmer target than a live animal.

Fresher is better for this type of test.

Also I would steer clear of shooting a dead pig that's been in the sun for a couple of hours.....lol
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

ozzy

#8 Post by ozzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:12 am

woody they where 2 blade cut on impact and the defection that i seen was quartering away as you said mate .rigor had set in and can tell you know it didnt take me to long to get out of there he didnt stink till the arrows let him breath other wise i would have done a few more shots at different angles to see what penno was like,think i might leave it though for a bit fresher test dummy

mick

Keith Lee

#9 Post by Keith Lee » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Ozze as lb55 said i use a 47lb bow and i"ve taken boars up to 80/90kgs.I use heavy arrows 600/700 grians get up close.

ozzy

#10 Post by ozzy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:52 pm

keith if you dont mind me asking mate what arrows are you using and point weight ie what spine ,length of arrow and point weight are you using im using woods at the moment but looking for an allum to use but im not entirely sure i have the correct spine for this bow to begin with and not entirely sure i have the bow tune properly, i have been using stu millers spine calculator but for it to work i have to have the right info to put into it and im having trouble finding correct centre shot ,brace height as so on i thought i did but not happy with it....might be just me plus my form as well needs a bit of work but if i can get the bow set up where it comes down to everything is right and still not shooting well then i can work on my form to get it right hope this makes sense

mick