Should the Burqa be banned in public places?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

Re: Should the Burqa be banned in public places?

#61 Post by Nephew » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Bent Stick wrote:Yep the Not burger doesnlt fit into my big picture at all, go the runny egg and juicy steak
More consensus! Keep it up and we'll be running a unity ticket at the next Union elections, Bent Stick! :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Bent Stick

#62 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:17 pm

LOL :) good call
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

TomMcDonald

#63 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Awwww what! The mild spices, the delicious sesame coating... tell me your mouths aren't watering at the very thought of devouring one of these bad boys!
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

looseplucker

#64 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Are we talking burqua or burgers?

I say let them wear it if it floats the boat and fits in with the world view - BUT - it comes with a recognition that if you are asked for ID and you refuse, then religious stuff is no defence. If you are refused service in a bank etc - don't carry on like a pork chop - you want the rights? Fine - they come with responsibilities, and responsibility is an equal opportunity concept.

But banning? Sorry - I have little time for legislation and regulation simply for the sake of looking like you are doing something and that would be ineffectual to boot. Ban the burqua and what next? BAn the stupid woolly wigs that both Maroons and Blues wear on Origin night. Ban the boofy bloody hats on Melbourne Cup day. Ban hoodies. A public flogging for ANYONE who wears a baseball cap backwards.

And anyone wearing a furry hat with ear flaps on a hunting trip has to stand in the trailer in the nude and sing "I'm a little teapot"
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

jindydiver

#65 Post by jindydiver » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

looseplucker wrote:
And anyone wearing a furry hat with ear flaps on a hunting trip has to stand in the trailer in the nude and sing "I'm a little teapot"
Didn't you sing that anyway :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

TomMcDonald

#66 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm so glad I missed out on that last trip. :wink:
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

looseplucker

#67 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

jindydiver wrote:
looseplucker wrote:
Didn't you sing that anyway :)
No, that was Hazard, doing the Indian Love Call from Rose Marie outside Billb's car (where Bill had sensibly locked himself in).

"When I'm calling yououououououououououoooooooooo"

hazard

#68 Post by hazard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Dont worry Moreton you'll be right I wouldn't dream of disrespecting you, or anyones religions or beliefs. :D

I am not about taking away our rights, we should all have the freedom to vent any accentric impulses we have as long as it is legal and puts nobody in harms way. So if you have an over whelming need to dress up in scuba gear and a tootoo over the top and run around screaming your a ghurkin! who am I to stop you. My Signature says it all

I have many friends who have a strong Muslim upbringing, but even they havent taken offence to my comments in fact quite a few are in support of it, they despise the way these nutters are ruining it for everyone ....infact Turkey a strong Muslim country have banned it too not just France, you gotta wonder dont you :? .

In our history many different cultures and ethnic comunities have intergrated and through time introduce a great many changes into our culture as it goes through its natural evolution (as of course it does), but none of these cultures have tried to prostitute an edge to this level.

In truth I despise creating more restrictions the point I am making has absolutely nothing to do with Religion I believe the idea of banning the Burqa is to disrupt the acts of these manipulative liars who dishonestly exploit to take unfair advantages of our good nature.

Moreton its all good 8)
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Nephew

#69 Post by Nephew » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 pm

hazard wrote:
John the next time you have this accentric compulsion to be naked sing I am a teapot, please dont show me your spout, or I will hit you with my poly pipe!! :lol:

Or i'll put on a Burqua and scream descrimination!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: 8)

No worries Hazard, it's all good mate. I knew you were not being disrespectful to me or anyone, just thought it worth saying what I said in a public forum.
Anyway, Here's a little ironic twist I found out today, apparently in Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan Burqas are banned from universities. Kinda feel torn about that, on one hand, if their own folk are banning them in certain places it's hard to argue against it, but on the other hand, who on earth would want a Govt. with power like any of those three have, excepting Egypt with their recent uprising. :?

Oh, and another thing... what DOES constitute a burger with the lot in your opinion?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#70 Post by greybeard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 pm

If the situation was reversed would the 'Muslim' mob accept the 'dress' of non Muslim females in a Muslim controlled State.

Imagine the fate of a female in short shorts and a low cut midriff top.

If they are not willing to accept our culture why should we accept theirs.

A friend of mine is the principal of a state school and was advised by the education departemt that three muslim children were to be enrolled in her school and were to be given 'special treatment'.

Re the Burka;
The Canvas Prison.jpg
The Canvas Prison.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Burka.jpg
Burka.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
The Burka.jpg
The Burka.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
The  Burka.jpg
The Burka.jpg (99.15 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Licence.jpg
Licence.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

I have a 3.4mb Powerpoint file covering the burka. If you are interested send a pm and I will foward the file.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

jindydiver

#71 Post by jindydiver » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm

greybeard wrote:If the situation was reversed would the 'Muslim' mob accept the 'dress' of non Muslim females in a Muslim controlled State.

Who cares, we are talking about what happens in Australia and some other wankers intolerance is not an excuse for us to be the same.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

hazard

#72 Post by hazard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 pm

I do wonder though
If I did rob a Bank would they be able to identify me through the Burqua or would the poly pipe and full hamburger give me away? :wink:

dmm

#73 Post by dmm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 pm

jindydiver wrote:
piggy wrote:[
I was sure here in Vic you can not wear a helmet into a bank or petrol station they even have signs on the doors, will try and get a pic in the next few days.
Yep, banks have signs, it is legal for them to ask people to take their helmet off or they will not serve them, this is not the same thing as a law requiring you to take your helmet off.[/quote]

They definitely do have signs telling you not to wear a helmet in the bank, but it probably isn't against the law, they would just refuse to serve you and ask you to leave. I expect it would be the same if you went in with a pair of panty hose on your head, although you might get the alarm going off as well :)

It's a bit like the poster who said it's illegal to have more than one wife if Australia. That's true, but did you know that the family law courts will consider "additional wives" rights in the event of a family break up in the same way as a legal wife? Believe it or not some people just live with more than one woman, as if they were married !!

Here is a thought. We seem to think it's shocking that there is a another culture, than says women should cover their heads. What if you took the wife on a trip to some exotic destination, and the locals we're all appalled that you thought the Mrs. should cover her breasts when doing a spot of shopping. I'm sure there are nudists, who think none of us should cover anything.

My own simplistic view, is a society should make rules to cover (no pun intended) things that are important, and leave as much personal freedom as possible. If it's important that we wear clothes, legislate against public nudity. If it's important that we don't cover our faces legislate that. If it's important that an officer of the law can ask to see you're face to verify identity, then legislate that (which it sounds like we have).

I doubt burqa wearers get through Australian passport control without showing their faces, but I guess they might only have to show them to a female customs officer, bit like a strip search??
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#74 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Ok fellas I have let you have your discussion on this subject but as you will see I have just deleted a couple of posts and edited one because of sexual innuendo and straight out derogatory comments that don’t belong on this or any public forum IMO. There are some other comments that we could have done without also.

You can continue your discussions but please give some thought to what you are saying before typing.

Thanks

Jeff

To save me time I have posted this rather than individually PM various posters.

looseplucker

#75 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 am

Daryl:

"If the situation was reversed would the 'Muslim' mob accept the 'dress' of non Muslim females in a Muslim controlled State.

Imagine the fate of a female in short shorts and a low cut midriff top.

If they are not willing to accept our culture why should we accept theirs.

Simply because they wish to behave in an intolerant and backward way is absolutely no excuse for a first world country to copy. If we do have a more advanced society, then we don't demonstrate it by behaving like those we consider ourselves better than - surely.

My Grannie used to call it two wrongs not making a right.

Gringa Bows

#76 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for posting that Daryl,it explained a couple of things for me :wink:

hazard

#77 Post by hazard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Moreton
I consider all of the above as far as hamburgers acceptable but one with the lot is one "With The Lot!" pineapple, beetroot, runny eggs, genuine imitation meat patty , everything except the dead mouse from behind the deep fryer, Oh and that road kill John had on his head that weekend!
By the way John It wasn't me singing any Indian love song it was one of your fuzzy pink slippers trying to make a run for it and got caught up in the barbed wire fence. I couldn't be absolutely sure because the Scuba gear and Tootoo got tangled up under bills car. The rest I think was Mick snoring and Bill beating him with a stick.

Chase N. Nocks

#78 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 pm

looseplucker wrote: I say let them wear it if it floats the boat and fits in with the world view - BUT - it comes with a recognition that if you are asked for ID and you refuse, then religious stuff is no defence. If you are refused service in a bank etc - don't carry on like a pork chop - you want the rights? Fine - they come with responsibilities, and responsibility is an equal opportunity concept.
I agree 100%. In situations where ID is necessary for security or safety then that persons face needs to be exposed to the people that need to see it.

I had this argument with a rabib right wing cyclist that said he found the Burqa offensive. I said he should stop being so precious and would he mind putting on some decent clothing as what was being exposed by his lycra lunchbox means he was setting an offensive benchmark that the Burqa could not even come close to approaching.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

muntries

#79 Post by muntries » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:00 pm

don't carry on like a pork chop
How does a pork chop carry on? Mine was perfectly quiet apart from a gentle sizzle in the pan and when I ate him there were absolutely no complaints. I think pork chops are getting a raw deal here.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#80 Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Best we get the correct description;

I have not seen a female wearing a "Burka" in Australia, Niqab or Shayla, yes.

The term "Burka" has been generalised thanks to our less than professional dumb media service.

Daryl.
01 B.jpg
01 B.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
02 B.jpg
02 B.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
03 B.jpg
03 B.jpg (110.41 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
06 B.jpg
06 B.jpg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
04 B.jpg
04 B.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
05 B.jpg
05 B.jpg (160.13 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
07 B.jpg
07 B.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
08 B.jpg
08 B.jpg (121.05 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hazard

#81 Post by hazard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Daryl
That was Frightening!!! :shock:
Sometimes the truth has to be heard, Unfortunately the media dont let the truth get in the way of a good story, They must have too much of a vested interest to call a spade a spade (and tell the truth). I can only hope this ugly situation is sincerely and honourably (and I do mean Honestly with integrity) confronted and dealt with in a fair humane manor.

I just fear the real story will again be manipulated by buffoons trying to grift for the mear sake of money. I could ask you would you allow your loved ones to be subjected to this type of humiliation?
I dont have a Daughter but even if I was to put my Wife or Mother in this situation I would have compromised every principal a human being could have. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nephew

#82 Post by Nephew » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:34 am

Chase N. Nocks wrote: I had this argument with a rabib right wing cyclist that said he found the Burqa offensive. I said he should stop being so precious and would he mind putting on some decent clothing as what was being exposed by his lycra lunchbox means he was setting an offensive benchmark that the Burqa could not even come close to approaching.

Cheers
Troy
:lol: :lol: Onya, Troy! No matter what your political persuasion, lycra pants used anywhere outside professional cycling should be an indictable offence, and double the sentence for any worn by a man over forty! :D
Last edited by Nephew on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nephew

#83 Post by Nephew » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:47 am

hazard wrote:Daryl
That was Frightening!!! :shock:
Sometimes the truth has to be heard, Unfortunately the media dont let the truth get in the way of a good story, They must have too much of a vested interest to call a spade a spade (and tell the truth). I can only hope this ugly situation is sincerely and honourably (and I do mean Honestly with integrity) confronted and dealt with in a fair humane manor.

I just fear the real story will again be manipulated by buffoons trying to grift for the mear sake of money. I could ask you would you allow your loved ones to be subjected to this type of humiliation?
I dont have a Daughter but even if I was to put my Wife or Mother in this situation I would have compromised every principal a human being could have. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I agree here Hazard.The info Daryl has posted (thanks Daryl) puts things into perspective IE: why someone would do anything to get their families out of there and to somewhere they can feel safe and secure, even if it means having to get through other hostile countries first and having to pay criminals just to endure a dangerous and unpleasant, frightening boat journey for the last few hundred miles to a place they have been told of where people believe in a fair go, and all are equal.

After 10 years of fighting, many soldiers and countless civilians killed, and trillions of dollars spent we find out it was all for nothing as our wise and benevolent leaders have decided it's best to negotiate with the twisted minds that inflicted this crap on the Afghan people in the first place... the very same twisted minds our young men and women were sent into harms way to rid the place of! :roll:

muntries

#84 Post by muntries » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:25 pm

And I must also agree that the burqua and also the niqab are just an example of interpretation of religion gone mad and it's got more to do with oppression of women and insecurities of men who force their wives to wear them than anything else. I don't mind the Hijab, I knew these girls that used to have a different one for everyday of the week, even a Calvin Klein Hijab and all the way through to really traditional looking ones with gold thread and they looked quite beautiful. With that said, I still don't think a ban is the best approach and marginalises women who wear them, I say that debate on these issues are always great and these things always need to be questioned, assuming Murdoch and co dont turn it into a media frenzy and any sensible debate is turned on its head in favour of sensation.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

hazard

#85 Post by hazard » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Muntries, Well said mate!
hazard wrote:The more its heard the more chance a logical answer will give the grubby trouble makers a dose of their own medicene.
I wonder how long humanity will take to fix a very sinister problem, Leave the conservational hunters alone and look at a real problem instead of these grubby mercinaries Prostituting the media for the meer sake of money.

This isn't a Mulsim country. Women hold more than 50% of our population. They let alone with the support of the male population should have the right to stamp it out now! and prevent these fanatics finding some loophole on our currupt society that will make it mandatory for them to wear a Burqua?

Our Politicians have set a very ugly precedence. They clearly dont care about the outcome or the consequences as long as they can stay on the "Gravy Train"! Even at the expence of their childrens future.

A very wise "Woman" told me once (by the way she didn't wear a Burqua)" Be carefull what you ask for you just might get it!"

hazard

#86 Post by hazard » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Spear chucker ....yep cant fault you so far mate!

Spear Chucker wrote:Ban it!!!! I wanna see their cute faces really!!! Also there are other things that need banning also

1. The MULLET
2. Pickles in your bugger
3. Compound sights and release aids
4. Carbon Tax
5. Bert Newton (just kidding Bert get well mate)
6. TRASH Boys Dvd
7. 80 klmhr drivers in 100 zone
8. Work
9. Work
10. WORK!!!
11. Telemarketers
12. Rules
13. The word ANGUS!!

Oh now you got me started!!!

Nephew

#87 Post by Nephew » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Darryl, what was the source of this info, mate? I'd like to investigate further. I've learned from this, like if that's what a Burqa is, then I've never seen one in Australia...yet!

The stuff about stoning is just plain outrageous!! What kind of sick mind could conceive of doing such a horrible thing? How many cowards stood back and allowed it to happen? It might well get me killed in a country like that, but I simply couldn't stand by and witness such a sickening spectacle without at least trying to convince the crowd to leave the poor woman alone! :shock: :x
It's no wonder the poor buggers seek asylum amongst more fortunate populations.

Gilly

#88 Post by Gilly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Those stoning pics were awful, we would not treat an animal like that, if we did, the punishment would be well deserved.
Barbaric. :(

clinglish

#89 Post by clinglish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 am

Okay, i read most of the posts and i get a little peeved at the double standars applied today in this country. I could rant for days but i restrict my comments to the discussion at hand. I feel that covering your face whilst in public for whatever reason invites suspicion. I wouldnt be allowed to walk around with a balaclava on or wearing the white robes of the KKK without it creating a massive sh1tstorm.the whole point of a democracy is , the same rules apply to everyone equally, this is getting farther from the truth everyday, as we attempt to make individuals comfortable at the cost to the greater good. I have no religious preference at all i think all organised religion is brainwashing but for a society to function well the greater good must always be the primary concern.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

wishsong

#90 Post by wishsong » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I have only just seen this thread . Walking through the streets of Melbourne everyday , they are not that uncommon. As for banning them...I become very very uncomfortable when a Government starts telling people what they can and can't wear ... Identification for Police etc is necessary and refusal should be dealt with harshly etc ... but banning ?
I thought this was a free country ?
Mmmm...thats right it ain't .
And I very much doubt that if the horrific events of September 11 2001 had not happened or had been perpetuated by people of different faiths than Islam , this would more than likely not even be a discussion .
My 2 cents