Should the Burqa be banned in public places?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hazard

Should the Burqa be banned in public places?

#1 Post by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Fair question!
This is something I wouldn't usually do, but it is a fair question and probably quite a sore point for some, the minority as it may seem.

I made my vote and it looks like a lot made theirs too! Interesting result though. But to make absolutely sure I am not seen as to push anyone in any direction I won't tell you how I voted.

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/
Attachments
Fair Question
Fair Question
img051bbb.JPG (111.98 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

muntries

Re: Should the Burqa be banned in public places?

#2 Post by muntries » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

or re-worded "make women criminals under the false pretenses of liberating them" wonder if that would have 98% votes for?

A lot of these online and tv polls can often be weighted heavily in a particular way merely by a particular demographic who visit these sites. A number of similar polls in the UK were weighted heavily in one direction when a number of neo-nazi groups called on their members to vote a particular way. I wouldn't hold much value on such a poll.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I know when a real vote for such a thing comes up, which I will choose. :D

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Let's restrict people's freedom because of their cultural beliefs!

Let's make another poll. Ban clothes for hot young woman entirely!! :lol:
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

hazard

#5 Post by hazard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm

C'mon Tom thats only nibbling on the hook take a bite! :wink:

piggy

#6 Post by piggy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 pm

What concerns me with the Burqa is cases like the recent one in todays Melbourne papers where a Magistrate found the woman could not be Identified because she was wearing a Burqa and overturned a previous decision.

Now what happens if a crime is committed by someone wearing a Burqa but refuses to remove it due to cultural and or religious reasons when caught but details are taken for court case. What about simple car accidents how can you confirm the driver is the license holder etc.
In court who is to say the original person gave false details and or identity documents how can it be proved who the offender was unless fingerprints or DND was taken?

You can't wear a motorbike helmet into a petrol station, bank etc but you can wear a Burqa who is being discriminated here?
I believe we should all respect the laws of individual countries but many do not respect ours and claim discrimination at their first opportunity.

Jeffro

#7 Post by Jeffro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 pm

that woman today that was let off cause the judge could not say 100% that he was confident it was her that made the complaint against the police officer-you know the one.

My opinion of that is that she has just become a catalyst to the banning of burqua's in australia.
Her and her supporters might be laughing now but the uproar has already started over it.

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

The fight has only just begun, Australia is loosing it's identy and Freedom that our Grandfather's & Fathers fought for.Wonder what will happen next time I'm in a shopping centre or Bank wearing a Full Face helmet refusing to remove it, will I get served, I don't think so. Can I claim Racisim, because my Helmet is part of my Motor Bike culture and Beliefs. Cheers All Roadie.

muntries

#9 Post by muntries » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 pm

What concerns me with the Burqa is cases like the recent one in todays Melbourne papers where a Magistrate found the woman could not be Identified because she was wearing a Burqa and overturned a previous decision.
Yes but the Muslim Council of Australia say that there is nothing wrong with asking a woman to show her face for identification purposes, so had the police used common sense then the case would not have collapsed. This has just become a beat up by the populist "Alan Jones" media yet again.

As for freedoms our grandfathers fought against, what about the freedoms to practice ones beliefs without the fear of persecution? I'm sure if the jews of Europe had those freedoms then our grandfathers wouldn't have to have fought all those years ago.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

piggy

#10 Post by piggy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Muntries please correct me if I am wrong or ill informed but as I understand it the Burqa is not a religious belief but a personal choice

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 pm

certain religious beliefs say you can have more than one wife but religion cant go against the law of the land so its illegal to have more than one wife in australia its the same with anything else

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Rock Steady

#12 Post by Rock Steady » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:20 am

kerrille wrote:religion cant go against the law of the land so its illegal to have more than one wife in australia
...nev...
Bugger, how am I going to break the news to the girls?? :lol:

matt61

#13 Post by matt61 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:35 am

The woman and her supporters only make them selves look stupid when they scream racism because as far as I understand
to be a muslim and follow islam means that you are a beleiver of a type of religion, NOT A RACE OF PEOPLE.And there are muslim and christians of all races on this planet.
Matt

kerrille

#14 Post by kerrille » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 am

Rock Steady wrote:
kerrille wrote:religion cant go against the law of the land so its illegal to have more than one wife in australia
...nev...

....... bigamy........ having 1 wife to many
....... monogamy......the same :D :D

....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

TomMcDonald

#15 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am

kerrille wrote:
Rock Steady wrote:
...nev...

....... bigamy........ having 1 wife to many
....... monogamy......the same :D :D

....nev...
Bahahahaha classic!!! I'll have to tell that one to the wife!
Tom

TomMcDonald

#16 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am

matt61 wrote:The woman and her supporters only make them selves look stupid when they scream racism because as far as I understand
to be a muslim and follow islam means that you are a beleiver of a type of religion, NOT A RACE OF PEOPLE.And there are muslim and christians of all races on this planet.
Matt
Being stupid isn't a crime :roll:
Tom

Nephew

#17 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am

I don't know enough about this case to comment really, I saw a little bit of footage of when she was pulled over but that's it. Seems to me she was trying it on, but I'd reckon any traffic cop would tell you EVERYONE tries it on in some way or another to try and avoid a ticket. I think the magistrate that perhaps was trying to provoke public debate with his/her ruling, and fair enough, too. As for wearing Burqas, mate I tend to just concentrate on my own behaviour and hope I maintain my manners, don't offend too many folk in my day-to-day life, and hope other people will show me the same consideration... When it comes to others, as long as your behaving yourself I couldn't care less if you want to wear a burqa, a safari suit ( a much more heinous "crime" in my eyes! :wink: :) ) or a bloody clown suit! Those diggers mentioned earlier fought for the freedom to do so, yeah?

I know Australia has changed massively since I was a kid, and I don't like a lot of it either. In fact, I despise a lot about modern Australia and very much miss the pre-1980's society we once had. But the fact is, the only constant in life is change. The nation, indeed the very culture, will change, and change again, many times in our lifetime and it will only get more and more frequent. There was a time when a man could live in a village his whole life, die at 80, and be buried in pretty much the same village he was born into. Sadly, those days are gone forever (or at least until a good while after "the big collapse"). Imagine what it will be like for our great-grandkids! :shock: There is nothing I'd like more than to have a place I can take off out West and never leave it again, and do my best to recreate the Australia of better days past but the fact is, I can't. I have to live within this society. I don't like it, it really chaffs me, but I just have to accept it.
We can grumble about it like grizzled old buggers mumbling about how much better it was in our day, or we can adapt and make the best of a bad lot. Me? I tend to vacillate, but most days I just accept it (grudgingly, I admit) and get on with life. It's too bloody short to keep looking back lamenting what we've lost, no matter how good it was...and it was good, and I miss it, but it's gone now.
Only my opinion, of course. Yours may be very different, I respect that.
Last edited by Nephew on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

looseplucker

#18 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

It should be.

Also, if women are going to wear any form of headgear, and I would be thinking of one or two that have entered politics first off, as well as a couple more on TV - how about a Scold's Bridle?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

longbowinfected

#19 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I think the burqa is the head piece. It is the veil some have a problem with. Others seem to have a problem with something different. There is nothing to proove that people wearing such clothing are up to no good. I would not win any prizes for the way I dress and would hate to be vilified for it. I do not like the hype and the righteous chanting either outside the court. Not helpfull. I suspect that this will create a more sensible approach and make sure where everyone stands is made clearer and more workable.

This is the beauty of our democracy.... no one got shot, maimed or injured and everyone had their say.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

TomMcDonald

#20 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey, maybe we could make both parties happy by having a semi-transparent one. Kinda like a tinted window. :?:
Tom

Nephew

#21 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Done mate. I think it's called a Hijab.

TomMcDonald

#22 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Moreton wrote:Done mate. I think it's called a Hijab.
Ah, got ya! :roll:

I'm not down with all these funky garments.
Tom

Nephew

#23 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah, but don't take my word for it, Tom. I only THINK it's called a Hijab, it may be something else.

jindydiver

#24 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Not picking on you bloke but your post contains the stuff I want to comment on...
piggy wrote: What concerns me with the Burqa is cases like the recent one in todays Melbourne papers where a Magistrate found the woman could not be Identified because she was wearing a Burqa and overturned a previous decision.

Now what happens if a crime is committed by someone wearing a Burqa but refuses to remove it due to cultural and or religious reasons when caught but details are taken for court case. What about simple car accidents how can you confirm the driver is the license holder etc.
In court who is to say the original person gave false details and or identity documents how can it be proved who the offender was unless fingerprints or DND was taken?
The Police officer at the station that took the complaint should have asked for ID and confirmed that ID by asking to see the womans face, just like the copper on the side of the road originally did. If this had been done the whole thing would be over with already. The Police already have to right to ask to see their face, the courts said as much when they threw out the original complaint against the copper on the side of the road.
But yet again people look to make new laws and create yet another class of criminal just because one person didn't do their job properly. It is pathetic that our country has descended so low that people would rather oppress and discriminate against a group of people based on their choice of clothing rather than demand that the cops just do the job they are paid to do properly.
piggy wrote: You can't wear a motorbike helmet into a petrol station, bank etc but you can wear a Burqa who is being discriminated here?
I believe we should all respect the laws of individual countries but many do not respect ours and claim discrimination at their first opportunity.
There is no law against wearing your helmet in a bank or a petrol station. The banks and petrol stations are within their rights though to refuse you service if they don't like what you wear. That the banks allow burkas in the bank is discrimination on the part of the BANK, not discrimination by law. In fact the SA Commissioner for Equal Opportunity has written about this subject on their website...
http://www.eoc.sa.gov.au/eo-resources/w ... -suspicion

If one person using their clothes to bugger up the law and commit a crime is cause for banning the clothes then where do we stand with people using bows to break the law????
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Rock Steady

#25 Post by Rock Steady » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm

jindydiver wrote:If one person using their clothes to bugger up the law and commit a crime is cause for banning the clothes then where do we stand with people using bows to break the law????
I was trying to think of a nice way to say the same thing, we see it all the time one person that belongs to a group does the wrong thing and the whole group gets attacked especially when the media think they can make money off it.

Bent Stick

#26 Post by Bent Stick » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 pm

We banned wearing a motorcycle helmet into a bank some time ago for the obvious reasons, it's in the same category.
Although a majority of people are honest and sensitive to a cultural belief, religion, or persuasion and can empathize the concerns of those choosing to wear the burqua history can't be a slave and ignored to satisfy a minority.
One in all in, either we can all wear burqua's and run amuck, or you bow to the Australian culture and if you don't like it, get back on ya boat and .......................... you know the rest.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Nephew

#27 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Fair enough, Stick, but what should I do? I flat out refuse to bow to the predominant, mainstream Australian culture but I'm 6th generation. Should I board a boat for Scotland, perhaps?

How about if she wears a burqa and doesn't run amok, but just lead a quiet and harmless life? I say anyone living that way is welcome, and good luck to them, no matter what they choose to wear.

Once again, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure both my grandfathers fought for the right to live your life however you please, "Aussie Culture" notwithstanding, and wear what you please, as long as your not imposing upon others in any way...including telling them what they can and can't wear.

jindydiver

#28 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Bent Stick wrote:We banned wearing a motorcycle helmet into a bank some time ago for the obvious reasons, it's in the same category.
Did you read the page I linked to? If you say it is incorrect maybe you can point us to the law that bans helmets in banks?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

piggy

#29 Post by piggy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:20 pm

[quote="jindydiver"]Not picking on you bloke but your post contains the stuff I want to comment on...

Mate I know you well enough to know that :)

I was sure here in Vic you can not wear a helmet into a bank or petrol station they even have signs on the doors, will try and get a pic in the next few days.

I agree totally that they should have asked for ID then this problem would not exist.

jindydiver

#30 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:27 pm

piggy wrote:
jindydiver wrote:Not picking on you bloke but your post contains the stuff I want to comment on...

Mate I know you well enough to know that :)

I was sure here in Vic you can not wear a helmet into a bank or petrol station they even have signs on the doors, will try and get a pic in the next few days.
Yep, banks have signs, it is legal for them to ask people to take their helmet off or they will not serve them, this is not the same thing as a law requiring you to take your helmet off.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln