confession time

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

confession time

#1 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:48 pm

OK

I have used and made trad gear for a bit now. Have a heap of osage curing in the garage. Been collecting sinew to back a trad osage bow.....but

I bought one of those things with wheels.

Reasons:

1. The guy selling needed the dough. He is a mate and I wanted to help him out. Probably paid him a bit over the odds, but it saved him biting me for a loan that I would have given him but I would never see repaid - and he is too good a mate to lose over an issue like that. He also would never ask for the $ with a view not to paying it back. But he couldnt. So he had to part with the bow;

2. It is 'variable' - whatever the flog that means but am given to understand it will shoot 20# lower than where it is at (50#). Now, that is good, because when William can pull 30# (he's still still 12#) off the pace he will want to hunt. Hell, he hunts now, but wouldnt knock over much more than a rabbit. A 30# wheelie is a better proposition than a 30# trad for him - even if I make the latter, which I will;

3. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I used to shoot one of these damn contraptions as a kid, but no release aids, sights, rests with pillows, pillow biters, biscuits, coffee and all that jazz. I am thusly intrigued by all the bloody hoopla and gizmos, willy-wipers and such.

Anyhowzeroonie, I am now also in the hole for some other bits and pieces, and Mrs Looseplucker said: "trad is cheaper". Although her response when I bought a bunch of Osage recently is not fit for these family oriented columns.

But chaps - I am not lost to trad. I am making 3 bows at the moment- a TD BANDB, BBB osage (Tomalophicon) and a BBB osage recurve (me).

Forgive me my eccentricities. Jeff, if you see fit to ban me from these pages, do your duty.

The other thing is, as Billb (a devotee of longbow and billycart) said: "It's all archery".
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

TomMcDonald

Re: confession time

#2 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Uh-oh :|
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

looseplucker

#3 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey - you knew this was happening. Don't pretend ignorance. And I will still be making you that Osage bow.....

Actually I had a lot of fun with it at Billb's place on Tuesday. Ruby the Wonderkelpie tearing around and me and Bill - whanging at a target and fine tuning the sights....I went for a walk later with my TD spotted gum bamboo back and belly recurve, with a linen string and VA arrows - and shot at a target with it!!!!

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm

:lol:
Sounds like fun John. Billb told me there are no more rabbits on his place. :cry:
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

terryzac

#5 Post by terryzac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:27 pm

dont feel bad mate i have 3 of them wheelie things, but still have more trad bows (7). my boy has one of each as well

terry

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:30 pm

It is all archery mate. And the motive was sound.

Yep this is a trad site but I will say it loud and clear I love compounds and I love shooting them...they are a lot of fun and I think they look good as well. Do they have the grace and dare I say dignity of a longbow or recurve??? No not really. They are whores of functionality. Shoot it and enjoy it, the only guilty pleasure is the one that harms someone else. :D

Do A-10 Warthogs have the grace and dignity of a Submarine Spitfire??? No not really. But only one strikes terror into the hearts of modern tank crews, the one the Russians referred to as the Devil's Cross.

My bow collection is not complete without at least one compound..(currently 2 (Bear Polar LTD 1979 vintage first bow and a Martin Slayer about 4 years old). I'm an Archer!

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Roadie

#7 Post by Roadie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Ay John, suffering a Mid life crisis, giving up Red wine and trying to re invent yourself, buying a wheelie bow. Man I think you need to get the Bango out and a good bottle of Red. Cheers Roadie.

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Ahhhhhh its begun,invasion of the wheely bowers :shock: :lol:

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Ahhhhhh its begun,invasion of the wheely bowers :shock: :lol:

I WANT TO SUCK OUT YOUR BRAINS

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Suck out my brains,....well i dont have to worry then...... :mrgreen:

AndyD

#11 Post by AndyD » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 pm

looseplucker wrote:

Isn't that prerequisite to shooting a gunpound ;)

Jokes, people, jokes...
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

hazard

#12 Post by hazard » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 pm

From time to time we turn to the "Dark Side of the Force" and this isn't a bad thing.

For years I shot a Paraplegic bow and it kept it interesting for me. Now through age and experience I appreciate what it taught me and I have returned to the purity of the source.

I am now using this tool to keep it interesting for my Kids as they progress through the learning curve we all take for granted.

Even now I am compelled to get it out and and give it a whack..... the bow I mean.

The wowsers should be shown all the contempt they deserve for being narrow minded and denying our youth a chance to experiment and grow, before they in turn through age and experience return to the source of the art.

Even if they keep the wheels It is all archery!!!! and better than a Play Station, PSP's or DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT JOHN
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:27 pm

:shock: Poor man, get help quick! :lol:

Jeff

NORTHOZ

#14 Post by NORTHOZ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 pm

looseplucker wrote:

After shooting a wheely bow for a while,you won't need to use your brain :wink: :D

piggy

#15 Post by piggy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Don't like you anymore

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 pm

:lol: :lol:

hazard

#17 Post by hazard » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 pm

AndyD wrote:
looseplucker wrote:

Isn't that prerequisite to shooting a gunpound ;)

Jokes, people, jokes...
very close but the trigger is optional! I would dare you though to pack powder in the arrow!!
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

longbowinfected

#18 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 am

a good archer can shoot anything and everything. I have four compounds and four recurves. They are all set up for bare bow. I have even won state and national medals at indoor with the compounds the couple of times I shot the wheelie bow......will always love my longbows but have an occasional plin with the others.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

bigbob

#19 Post by bigbob » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:29 am

The most pertinent statement is 'Its all archery' As we all pulling aside the curtains at the confessional, I too have two compounds as well as my stickbow, and I love them all. I shoot barebow, fingers in ABA events with one compound, have another with gps, sat. nav; wide screen , ---you get the picture and before I get too widely condemned it was purchased in deference to advancing age and physical limitations, mainly knees. Having moved down here some years ago and reputedly being in the vicinity of deer country I realised I needed a little leverage if I get the chance on one, hence that bow.I dont get any real buzz from shooting it but know it is an efficient , lethal, and accurate way to perhaps take my first deer some day.I have always got the most satisfaction from using trad gear and am looking forward to the day when the moon and stars align and I can make my own.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

billb

#20 Post by billb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Good on you John. Welcome to the darkside ;)

& you're right Tom,we went for a very quick wander on Tuesday and didn;t even see any recent rabbit sign!

Sparra

#21 Post by Sparra » Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey LP...I think it's a bit like the Harley verses the rest of em...Some hate them and some love them....As long as where riding it really doesn't matter...Me...I shoot both ride a Harley...

Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Nephew

#22 Post by Nephew » Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 am

Bloody Hell, John... is that all??! When I saw the title I thought it was going to be something truly despicable, like maybe you once secretly donated to one of Alexander Downers campaign funds! :shock: :?: Or far worse a fearful suspicion... made an overseas donation to Bush's re-election fund in 2004 :!: :?: ... :twisted: :lol:

Shoot your compound until your hearts content if your enjoying it, I reckon, John ol' chap. :D As stated more than once before... it's all archery, mate! 8) :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Nutgrass

#23 Post by Nutgrass » Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Nothing wrong with a set of wheels in the cupboard mate. I do. Hoyt maxxis, sensational bow to shoot. Fast, quiet, accurate & deadly. I can't say i have shot it much since picking up the longbow, but it gets an outing every know & then.
It flings arrows & that is all that matters in my book 8) But I do tend to reach for my red belly black stick most of the time.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

dmm

#24 Post by dmm » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Seems to me, nobody should judge you, it's just not what people come here to discuss.
But since we are discussing it, do you shoot your compound barebow from your fingers (traditional style), or is it completely different, sights and a mechanical release?

Since I've been shooting barebow I think it would be quite strange to use sights again.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

bigbob

#25 Post by bigbob » Tue May 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Spearchucker, My compound is 10 year old, has recurve type limbs, and nothing but a berger button and a simple wire rest.The only advantage it has over stick bows is the mechanical advantage of the cams.I love shooting it against those with all the sights release etc, and so forth, and get an even bigger buzz from my stickbow. I wont stir up a hornets nest about style but I shoot instinctive same as the stick bow, and as I said before Hey, its all archery.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

looseplucker

#26 Post by looseplucker » Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Howdy

Yes it has a release aid because it has a D loop - was originally owned by some bloke who was a field champion in Qld - Tis a Martin Jaguar.

Incidentally I just bought a new rest for it as the double prong thing gave me the sh1ts. Also bought some broadheads to screw into the shafts that came with it but I refuse, point blank, at all, anywhere, on a strict not-on-you-nelly basis to talk equipment.

For me bows, fishing gear and banjos are all the same - set em up, get 'em tuned and leave the ba$tards alone.

Nutgrass

#27 Post by Nutgrass » Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 pm

looseplucker wrote:
For me bows, fishing gear and banjos are all the same - set em up, get 'em tuned and leave the ba$tards alone.
Damn straight :twisted:

Now...... About this banjo :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: teach me ooohhh great one :wink:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

Gringa Bows

#28 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Gidget,when you come over tomorrow i''ll have the shackles and stock whip ready for your re-education :wink:

Nutgrass

#29 Post by Nutgrass » Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 am

LB rod 55 wrote:Gidget,when you come over tomorrow i''ll have the shackles and stock whip ready for your re-education :wink:
Ooooohhhhh I luv it when he talks dirty :wink:

looseplucker

#30 Post by looseplucker » Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

Wanna borrow a banjo?