A look at FLATLINE

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Flatliner

A look at FLATLINE

#1 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:50 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site,(as a mater of fact I'm new to any site so be patient with me) it was suggested I should post some photos of my bows here (this being the real trad site).
I'll try this, if it doesn't work can some one help me with my computer illiteracy.
Cheers, Rob.
I think I've sussed it Yay! :roll:
And here's a link to the album
http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... %20photos/
Last edited by Flatliner on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A look at FLATLINE

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am

G'day Rob and welcome to the site.

You can laod your photos direct from your computer to the site. See these couple of threads and see if that helps otherwise give me a holler.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4815
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6474

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Welcome to the site Rob :wink:

Dryfired

#4 Post by Dryfired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Beautiful bows Rob! The gum leaf inlay is really cool. What is the very light coloured timber in the third bow?

muntries

#5 Post by muntries » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Rob, wow there are some beautiful looking bows there. Are they Aussie timbers, what are they?

Cheers

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Flatliner

#6 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Dryfired wrote:Beautiful bows Rob! The gum leaf inlay is really cool. What is the very light coloured timber in the third bow?
It's Silver Ash, Alocal timber up here.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Flatliner

#7 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:36 pm

muntries wrote:Rob, wow there are some beautiful looking bows there. Are they Aussie timbers, what are they?

Cheers

Simon
Yeah they are all Aussie timbers except for PNG Walnut. They are all titled in the album (I think) Have a look at the last link on the first post.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Dryfired

#8 Post by Dryfired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Cheers Rob, the silver ash is quite different. Your photobucket album is full of excellent pictures of amazing bows! I couldn't however find the descriptions for the bows alongside the photos?

Flatliner

#9 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Dryfired wrote:Cheers Rob, the silver ash is quite different. Your photobucket album is full of excellent pictures of amazing bows! I couldn't however find the descriptions for the bows alongside the photos?
Yeah sorry about that, turns out you have to be logged on to my account to get that info, I'll spend Some time when I get it and tittle them on photobucket.
But meanwhile here's a list of all the timbers used. See if you can work out which is which.HA HA! Starting from the top 1; Red Tulip Oak, Silver Ash, Miva Mahogany, Concleberry and Blush Tulip Oak limbs. 2; Tasmanian Black wood, Silver Ash, Concleberry. 3; Silver Ash limbs, Hickory Ash riser, PNG Wallnut/ Silver Ash/ Miva Mahogany/ Saffron Heart, overlay and Mosaic. 4; (Real specky) Red Tulip Oak, Silver Ash, Concleberry. 5; QLD Walnut riser & limbs, Miva Mahogany/ Silver Ash leaf and a little bit of PNG Walnut in the grip.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

muntries

#10 Post by muntries » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 pm

do you have a website yet Rob? What core timbers do you use?
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Dryfired

#11 Post by Dryfired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks Rob, I'll try and work out the timbers after a beer or two. I lived in NQ for many years and love those tropical timbers. I am waiting to buy this bow of yours from Paul http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536 . I'm a one-bow kind of person, but I don't think that attitude will last very long with your bows around :lol:

Flatliner

#12 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 pm

muntries wrote:do you have a website yet Rob? What core timbers do you use?
Almost FLATLINE BOWS.COM should be up and running in the next few months. I use a Bamboo core in the hybrid (which is called a Flatliner) and there are only two lams in the recurve limbs so no core as such.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Flatliner

#13 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Dryfired wrote:Thanks Rob, I'll try and work out the timbers after a beer or two. I lived in NQ for many years and love those tropical timbers. I am waiting to buy this bow of yours from Paul http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536 . I'm a one-bow kind of person, but I don't think that attitude will last very long with your bows around :lol:
Thanks for the compliment Dryfired. Man! you got a sweet deal on the MC2 from paul. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Bandsaw

#14 Post by Bandsaw » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Great bows mate!!! Do you take orders or do you make them as the mood takes you???

Ben
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

Dryfired

#15 Post by Dryfired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Flatliner wrote:...Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
I haven't had the chance to pay for it yet Rob. I can't wait to shoot it, I have heard your bows perform very well!

excelpoint

#16 Post by excelpoint » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Very nice mate and welcome to the site.

Flatliner

#17 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Bandsaw wrote:Great bows mate!!! Do you take orders or do you make them as the mood takes you???

Ben
Thanks Ben, yeah I take orders You can email me on robnicoll@bigpond.com and I'll send you some info if you want. The lead time at the moment is around three months.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 pm

I saw the one that Paul featured in Bowhunter Australia and thought it was a bloody good looking bow. Now I've seen what else you can do and I'm even more impressed! Amazing craftsmanship matey, and welcome to the site.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Flatliner

#19 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Moreton wrote:I saw the one that Paul featured in Bowhunter Australia and thought it was a bloody good looking bow. Now I've seen what else you can do and I'm even more impressed! Amazing craftsmanship matey, and welcome to the site.
Thanks Moreton, Jeeze I had beter get away from this computer before my head gets that big I fall off my chair.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

UPTHETOP

#20 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey Rob welcome to the site, good to see you finally working the computors out. I hope the rain has finally stopped up there its just starting to dry out down here. See you at the Tully shoot again this year and is good to see your work is still second to none.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Steven J

#21 Post by Steven J » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Welcome Rob. Great looking bows you have there. Those risers are beautiful.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Flatliner

#22 Post by Flatliner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm

UPTHETOP wrote:Hey Rob welcome to the site, good to see you finally working the computers out. I hope the rain has finally stopped up there its just starting to dry out down here. See you at the Tully shoot again this year and is good to see your work is still second to none.

Cheers Wayno
Hey Wayno how's it going. No it's still raining, longest wet I've seen I reckon. I haven't been down to the club for quite a while, too busy but I'll be at the big shoot in tully for sure. Thanks
but I don't know about second to none, I've just seen the Rose Oak bow on the thread below this one,,, Wowsers Penny thats spectacular!! Oh well there's always someone raising the bar, and I don't mind a bit of a challenge.

And thanks Steve :)
www.flatlinebows.com.au

rodlonq

#23 Post by rodlonq » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 am

Gidday Rob, welcome to the site mate.

Those bows of yours are absolutely spectacular. Thanks for showing us.

Cheers....... Rod

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 am

Flatliner wrote:
I've just seen the Rose Oak bow on the thread below this one,,, Wowsers Penny thats spectacular!! Oh well there's always someone raising the bar, and I don't mind a bit of a challenge.

And thanks Steve :)
Nah mate, that's the attraction of your bows, to me at least. They're a good balance between functional and decorative. Rose Oak bows show a certain virtuosity in the skills of the artisan that creates them, but they can sometimes be a bit gaudy and overdone for my taste. You address that fine line without crossing it. You know what I mean?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Flatliner

#25 Post by Flatliner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks again Moreton, Hey I just noticed you live on Coochiemudlo, Wow that really brings back fond memories. When I was around 4-6 years old, on the occasional Summer week end Dad would hire one of those old putput diesel launches and take the family out there for the day. I haven't thought about that for years, thanks for bringing that bit of childhood heaven back to me. :)
And thanks a lot Rod :D
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Benny Nganabbarru

#26 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Top job with those beautiful bows! Australia really needs a one-piece recurve, and yours look truly amazing. Very tempting...
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Flatliner

#27 Post by Flatliner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote: Australia really needs a one-piece recurve, and yours look truly amazing. Very tempting...
Thanks Ben, The one piece comes in 66" and 68" so it's a bit of a hybrid, sweet shooter though, arrow speeds of about 180 fps with a 9.5 grain/ pound of draw weight arrow. The MC2 and MC3 take downs come in 60" and 62". The MC2 gets 190 fps at 9 grains and the MC3 gets 192 fps at 9 grains, all with finger release.
I have plans to develop a one piece MC2 in the near future and it will be 58"-60" long and I reckon I'll get around 194 fps cause I'm going to tweak it a little.
www.flatlinebows.com.au

ivorycollector

#28 Post by ivorycollector » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Beautiful looking bows. Very creative indeed.

Chase N. Nocks

#29 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am

Flatliner wrote:
Ben Kleinig wrote: Australia really needs a one-piece recurve, and yours look truly amazing. Very tempting...
Thanks Ben, The one piece comes in 66" and 68" so it's a bit of a hybrid, sweet shooter though, arrow speeds of about 180 fps with a 9.5 grain/ pound of draw weight arrow. The MC2 and MC3 take downs come in 60" and 62". The MC2 gets 190 fps at 9 grains and the MC3 gets 192 fps at 9 grains, all with finger release.
I have plans to develop a one piece MC2 in the near future and it will be 58"-60" long and I reckon I'll get around 194 fps cause I'm going to tweak it a little.
Got to agree with Ben, and they are beautiful bows for sure. And performance as well as beauty.

With such bows I was wondering how you had flown under the radar for so long but you are obviously well know to a few of the blokes here and I have been admiring you takedown on the trad blanket..beautiful piece of work..just nudged on that one :( .

Do you do timbers other than Australian timbers? Do you do phenolic combinations in risers yet?

Rob, you as a craftsman are a better judge than I when comparing yourself to Brandon Stahl of Rose Oak but to my untrained eye I would have to say you guys are certainly walking the same path. With an identifiable difference in style rather than skill.

3 months is also a pretty good turn around I think, Rose Oaks will be my first experience waiting almost a year for a bow.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

muntries

#30 Post by muntries » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Yea I agree with Troy, 3 months is a quick turn around. I waited 18months for a bow with chekmate to find they hadn't started so 3 months is a blink of an eye for a bow.