What bow are you hoping or planning for?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chase N. Nocks

What bow are you hoping or planning for?

#1 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

I know most of us have a bow wish list penciled and ready to go when the lotto numbers come up. Well I know I do.

Failing a lotto win I've streamlined it to about 6-7 bows that I would like over the next year or so. (The lotto list exceeds 20 bows)

But I have just added not just a new one but one that has moved to the top of the list and it's likely price will delay all others on the list I expect (in the expected absence of the lotto win)

So I will be trying to save like mad for a deposit so I can order it and then for the balance. See my new love after talking to a fellow archer is a Rose Oak bow most likely a King Panther. So far I've been restricting myself to looking at saved photos about 30 times a day. Checkout the Wildcat risers as well

http://www.roseoakcreations.com/kingpanther.html

Does anyone out there have one? Talk about it?
Attachments
Roseoak004.jpg
Roseoak004.jpg (76.4 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Last edited by Chase N. Nocks on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

bigbob

Re: What bow are you hoping or planning for?

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 am

Holy cow that looks too good too shoot!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Chase N. Nocks

#3 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:44 am

As someone said on another forum...pity the bowyer cut the window on the wrong side of the bow. :D

Bob these bows have a reputation of being exquisite both in craftmanship and as shooters. He makes many different designs, that one being one of the more complicated (and probably expensive)

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Now that is one beautiful looking bow mate!!!

The window looks to be cut on the correct side to me. :mrgreen:

I have no bow I wish to buy but I do want to make myself a new longbow using Macassar Ebony with Gabon Ebony and Rock Maple accent stripes for the riser and some special (extremely stiff) raw Bamboo for lams. I will probably use clear glass over the Bamboo. I also wouldn't mind making a recurve to take on a hunt.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Now that is one beautiful looking bow mate!!!

The window looks to be cut on the correct side to me. :mrgreen:

I have no bow I wish to buy but I do want to make myself a new longbow using Macassar Ebony with Gabon Ebony and Rock Maple accent stripes for the riser and some special (extremely stiff) raw Bamboo for lams. I will probably use clear glass over the Bamboo. I also wouldn't mind making a recurve to take on a hunt.

Jeff
Jeff if I had your skill I would be doing pretty much the same I think and I really look forward to some pictures of the longbow. I very much like the sound of that combination you mentioned. I love the ebony woods.

As for the Rose Oak, I am not being modest when I say while I may one day have the skill to make a nice looking/good shooting bow I don't think I have enough years left in me to become the craftsman that could build the bow in the photo. It is just lovely.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 pm

dang nice looking bow there. As others have said I wouldn't be game to shoot it, especially in the bush where I always seem to fall over and land on my bows :)
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Benny Nganabbarru

#7 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm always keen for another Hill. I'd like to try the osage model, and another couple of bamboos would be good.

Tony, are you going to tell the boys about your yearning for the bow in Lord of the Rings? Do you want to be a goody or a baddy? A Legolas bow, or an Ork bow?
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Dryfired

#8 Post by Dryfired » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm waiting to have the money to pay Paul for this http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536

I can't wait to shoot it...

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote:I'm always keen for another Hill. I'd like to try the osage model, and another couple of bamboos would be good.

Tony, are you going to tell the boys about your yearning for the bow in Lord of the Rings? Do you want to be a goody or a baddy? A Legolas bow, or an Ork bow?
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Hey Ben,

I have a Osage/Bamboo H/H up for sale at the moment :lol: :lol: I know you've seen it, just teasing. I expect she would be a little on the light side for you.

Yes mate the Osage is really nice and from what I am told will deepen ie darken in colour with age...but it might need to see the light of day more though.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#10 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Dryfired wrote:I'm waiting to have the money to pay Paul for this http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536

I can't wait to shoot it...
That is a sweet bow for sure..you beat me to it. (about half a dozen guys on this forum just :roll: rolled their eyes)

But people should not make fun of the mentally ill.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Benny Nganabbarru

#11 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm

G'day Troy,

I used to shoot heavy gear, but I'd happily shoot a 55# bow for fun and pigs these days (at present am only shooting 60#). Your bow is nice, but for Hills to work for me they need to be 70" (I draw a whisker over 29").

Cheers,

Ben
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Dryfired

#12 Post by Dryfired » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Chase, you could up your status from bowhunter to bow "collector" and that justifies any number of bows. You'll then need cabinets for displays, with lighting and climate control, in addition to a suite of appropriately-tuned arrows to complete the collectors set for each bow :D

I want recurve or hybrid bows made of Australian timbers by an Australian Bowyer. Not too many choices that I have found so far, but I am really keen to get this Flatline which is at my preferred poundage and length. Really keen!

wishsong

#13 Post by wishsong » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 pm

My all osage Hill went a very nice dark blood orange and man was it sweet on the draw .

And there ain't nufink wrong wioth wanting a Lord of the Rings bow ... good guys only for me though ...

Jeff , when you make that bow , it should be lent out to all other lefty Swinehart fan club members ... hint hint ...

What bow do I want ?

Another Hill Redman ... and a Tembo ...
and a 1 pce 50's style recurve ... Great Northern , Whisperstik

and a .....

Chase N. Nocks

#14 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

wishsong wrote:My all osage Hill went a very nice dark blood orange and man was it sweet on the draw .

And there ain't nufink wrong wioth wanting a Lord of the Rings bow ... good guys only for me though ...

Jeff , when you make that bow , it should be lent out to all other lefty Swinehart fan club members ... hint hint ...

What bow do I want ?

Another Hill Redman ... and a Tembo ...
and a 1 pce 50's style recurve ... Great Northern , Whisperstik

and a .....
Yes that colour change is beautiful and I look forward to it if the bow ends up staying with me. I take it you have the Crocodile which is the ALL Osage limbs?

Ben, Ben, Ben it's not the length of your draw that counts :wink: :lol:

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

looseplucker

#15 Post by looseplucker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Sinew backed osage 64"ntn shooting 50# @ 27".

And it is nearly finished!
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm going to ask that nice Gringa fellow to make me another bow,dont know what style yet though :wink: :D

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Carbon backed for me, maybe belly to? Steve

terryzac

#18 Post by terryzac » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:I'm going to ask that nice Gringa fellow to make me another bow,dont know what style yet though :wink: :D
im pretty sure he'll do it for you if you ask him nice

terry

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 pm

he better,i shouted him a beer yesterday :mrgreen:

Dryfired

#20 Post by Dryfired » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I hope you bought him two back, Rod!

Nephew

#21 Post by Nephew » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

The bow I'd like the most would be one I made myself, after making about 10 of them to get the hang of it. If not one I made, then it would have to be a Mark Kimber Huntsman.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

excelpoint

#22 Post by excelpoint » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm waiting on mine to arrive. One I have been hankering for a long while so i just ordered it. It's a 17" Triple carbon Border ILF riser in Midnight Heratige with Border HEX 5 H limbs in shorts. I have about 4 weeks to wait. :)

muntries

#23 Post by muntries » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm too in love with my current Toelke bow to contemplate buying a new one just yet. If I did I would like to request the following timbers in the riser (if it was possible). She-Oak and Sugar Gum, would be a nice contrast and I love the light dark contrasting timbers. I've seen the Rose Oak stuff before and they are magnificent bows!!
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

dmm

#24 Post by dmm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

I was also looking at Border Hex5 ILF limbs the other day. They would be an extravagance, perhaps even more so would be a Border Griffin GL longbow, modern materials (carbon limbs) in a traditional looking longbow.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Gringa Bows

#25 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Yep Dryfired i did,but after a few all he wanted to do was argue with me:lol:

perry

#26 Post by perry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 pm

I just gotta be a kill joy folks :roll: why the focus on a beatifull bow :?: Arrows are the important part of an Archers equipment. I see folks running around all the time with $1500 Bows and the mottliest crappiest 3 dozen mismatched Arrows that they can find stuffed into their Quivers. And don't start me on their Form :oops:

I reckon the best thing any Trad Archer can learn after continually striving for good form is to make their own quality timber arrows from scratch, if not then learn to assemble them from quality store bought components.

I'm sure I have not made the best bow I can yet, always something to aim for but if I had to choose a Bow that someone else made for me I could not go past another RER http://www.rerbows.com/ . My Arroyo is simply superb.

Years ago when Cliff and I would turn up with a new Selfbow at the Range just about every week we noticed that if Cliff turned up with a well crafted Selfbow sprayed with a glossy finish it got "WOW this is the best Bow you've made yet", and my Boiled Linseed and Gum Turps oil finished to 600 grit Selfbow would not get a second glance. The next week I'd turn up with the same Bow gleaming after 10 coats of True Oil and folks would comment - "WOW thats the best Bow you've made yet"

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

excelpoint

#27 Post by excelpoint » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

dmm wrote:I was also looking at Border Hex5 ILF limbs the other day. They would be an extravagance, perhaps even more so would be a Border Griffin GL longbow, modern materials (carbon limbs) in a traditional looking longbow.
I had my eye on the Border Bows for a while. The main deciding factor was a quest to get the best performing bow I could based around the setup I want to shoot, ie 50# at my draw of 26.5" shooting 550-580gr arrows with a minimum of 160fps. The bow also needs to have a super smooth draw cycle and be very stable. From all the research and conversations with owners with the same setups I want the Border Hex 5 combo ticked all the boxes.

Nephew

#28 Post by Nephew » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 pm

I look forward to the review in Stikbow Hunter, Matt.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

excelpoint

#29 Post by excelpoint » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Yes, me too :)

piggy

#30 Post by piggy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

I too am waiting on one to arrive, got shipped today.
It's not a known brand but has a story to it so it will take pride of place in my bow rack.